What Would Happen? A scenario of Fitbit and OnePlus

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Sep 20, 2019

Baymax , Sep 20, 2019 :
    WWH-OP-FB2.png
    Hello Everyone.

Your neighborhood friendly Baymax here and welcome to a new thread series that I am starting. In this thread series I'm going to go through some scenarios of what would or could happen if something like this were to occur. I went through several names for this series for this like Which Scenario Could Happen but decided against as it would be too close to @woSch 's name; so I settled on WWH

First on this chopping block is Fitbit and what could happen if OnePlus were to purchase them.

To start let's go over some back story of why this pairing could happen. Fitbit is sort of stuck in limbo right now as they are trying to decide whether to search for investors after closing 11.9% on September 20, 2019. Qatalyst, a Google company, has been urging Fitbit to look for sales. Fitbit, on the other hand, has been keeping cards close to their chests about all this.

So in this scenario, let's say they are looking for investors and that it caught the eye of OnePlus and they settled on a business deal. Could OnePlus actually benefit from this? Well... it depends. I know how many have been asking for OnePlus to make a smartwatch for quite some time now and it has not even been teased since the April Fool's joke of the past. (source)
    Fitbit is a known maker of fitness watches, but they never have even stepped any foot into Android space. They make their own OS for their products from the ground up. They even acquired Pebble in the past who had a similar plan for their products. The Fitbit Versa (or Versa Lite) was probably the biggest throwback to Pebble as well.

I digress though...

Something just tells me because of the difference between Fitbit's and OnePlus' business model that this wouldn't be a very good pairing at all. OnePlus would want to go for Android Wear if they did which would sacrifice on the full week of battery life most of the products Fitbit makes has. Fitbit would not want to err from their ways. Nor would OnePlus actually want to join the ways of Fitbit.

If everything did work out for the pairing I also don't feel like there could ever be a mark made. The competition of Apple Watch, Other Android Wear watches, Galaxy Gear, and Amazfit watches are all way too popular... The pairing of OnePlus and Fitbit would be overlooked if anything. The smartwatch market just isn't a profitable market at this point with those big players dominating it either.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts about a pairing like this below, and also let me know what sort of pairing would be WWH worthy.

buntycubal, B_Wrath, Salt505 and 3 others like this.
  2. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 21, 2019

meatandy , Sep 21, 2019 :
    It would be plausible idea if you would said what would happen if BBK acquired Fitbit. :D:p:D:rolleyes:

buntycubal, Baymax and B_Wrath like this.
  3. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Sep 21, 2019

Baymax , Sep 21, 2019 :
    it could really go either way tbh.

if BBK acquired Fitbit, they too would probably want to convert Fitbit to Android Wear which would go against the business model of Fitbit that I mentioned. On top of that there would be fitness trackers of every shape and functionality on OPPO, Vivo, OnePlus, etc. then it begs the question of popularity. Would it be popular enough to be profitable? I am not thinking it would be. it would be a sinking ship for Fitbit and BBK pairing I would think.

buntycubal and meatandy like this.