What Would you Give Up for a "Compact" Flagship?

1. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 26, 2020

TibiTibi , Nov 26, 2020 :
    I would give up:
    • Big bezels and big notches typical for former compacts - bezelles design is rare in compacts.
    • Complex camera modules - one good module with good sw is enough in compact world.
    • Thin body - thicker phone absorbs bigger battery and camera bump.

script likes this.
  2. PascalGER98
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2020

PascalGER98 , Nov 26, 2020 :
    The reason for the iPhone 12 mini not having 120hz is that its an iPhone and not because its so small. I dont need a sub 6 inch smartphone.. but the issue I have with the recent 6,5 models is that they are to tall.

I want a 6-6,1 inch Smartphone with a recent cpu, 90hz, 6gb ram would be enough, 5 hours screen on time with one batterycharge.. So basically a pixel 5 with a better cpu.

3. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 26, 2020

TibiTibi , Nov 26, 2020 :
    Truth, a bezelles phone with 6" display could be compact.

script and dinakaran.sensor like this.

4. ijus_amazingz
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2020

ijus_amazingz , Nov 26, 2020 :
    I'll give up a curve display and settle for a flat one... :)
    One camera is sufficient once it gets the job done like pixel

5. Saucy78
    Eclair Nov 26, 2020

Saucy78 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 26, 2020 :
    I would say the size of the iPhone 12 Pro is probably the ideal size if we are looking for a compact Flagship. iPhone 12 mini in an Android set up is a challenge as there will be challenges with the battery lasting that long. Also I think the size of the iPhone 12 Pro is definitely good for multimedia consumption . I believe also battery tech needs to evolve to accommodate more charge in lesser volume.. I personally would be really interested in an OP flagship with smaller dimensions.. although I have gotten used to my OP8 Pro it's definitely a very tall phone

6. script
    Moderator Moderator Nov 26, 2020

script , Nov 26, 2020 :
    My dream phone has the size of the OnePlus X , a flat screen, 2 back cameras (normal and tele) , a xenon flash, (and a normal front cam) , is a bit thicker than the X has been, therefore a battery that lasts through one tough day, and 128 , maybe 256 GB of storage. I would pay 600, even 680 Euro for it.

Stereo speakers is a nice to have, not a must.

TibiTibi and Mr. BG like this.
  7. F_Nikhil_MI_PxBM , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Nov 26, 2020 :
    Compact flagship doesn't need to loose much.
    Here is the list that you can achieve to create a compact phone.
    1. Remove the useless extra camera macro, mini etc
    Give flagship grade camera like main & ultra wide
    2.provide flat display with minimum bezel
    3.display size can be 5.3 to 5.5
    4.flagship chip no compromise in this segment
    5.keep the battery between 3800 to 4000mah
    6.dont care about wireless charge but has to be water resistant
    7.build quality can be plastic/polycarbonate matt finish
    8.headphone jack is not there so doesn't make sense lol

8. Mamta248
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2020

Mamta248 , Nov 26, 2020 :
    6.4 inch screen fells small to me 😑

I don't enjoy content as much in a 6.4inch screen.
    I've got no idea how people use less than 6inch screen

9. shikhan_sarkar
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2020

10. Vysakh_rex
    Froyo Nov 27, 2020

Vysakh_rex , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Great read!! Well written and researched. But ues, i wld gladly give up better display and battery life for a more compact mobile. It has become so difficult and hard with these huge displays these days!!

11. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 27, 2020

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 27, 2020 :
    This is a good read and something I've been dealing with and pondering for a long time.
    Smartphones use to be pocket computers that we used for communication. Use to be. Now, smartphones are our main devices that we use for all media consumption, social media and communication. Over the years they've become so much more.
    I've always wanted a more compact device. So much so that I did actually contemplate the iphone 12 mini. But I realized that I use my smartphone for so much more now. And having a larger device (OnePlus 8T) is what I need right now.
    As a man that is also married with kids, and grew up in the nextel days and transitioned to the sidekick days, I've been yearning for days past, and smaller handsets. But in these times, where I do literally EVERYTHING on my smartphone, I wonder if having a smaller device is something I'd practically use, or is it just me holding onto my past.
    I think devices like the OnePlus 8T hit the sweet spot for what I use my phone for. I'd love to see OnePlus test the waters with a slightly smaller device and hope they can cram as much as they could into it. Possibly make the device a little thicker than usual to add a little more battery?
    It would be nice to see. This is a great post. I'm glad to see other people on the forums discussing things I've only talked about with my closest friends.

12. Sandyadav
    Donut Nov 27, 2020

13. ArhamFardeen
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2020

ArhamFardeen , Nov 27, 2020 :
    U don't need 3 or 4 Cameras u just need a good main and a good wide angle camera. the macro and depth cams are just useless. instead of giving that they can improve the over all quality of the phone.

dinakaran.sensor likes this.
  14. Balphanso
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2020

Balphanso , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Oh yes! A spec'd out phone which easy to hold make a lot of sense. Yeah, true that that the battery live will be bad, maybe camera module will be smaller, but that's a compromise one can live with, when you have warp65 charger.
    There are phones with one or two camera, with bigger sensor, and the photo quality have been good. It's matter of quality over quantity. But, that will put a lot of people of off. Now that there are multiple OnePlus devices, it will be easier for people to choose what they want. Maybe a limited edition phone? 😜
    This is the one reason I have switched phones in the last one year. Smaller size. iPhone XR to iPhone 11 Pro.
    With OnePlus I made an exception, where I went for a bigger phone, was using the Samsung S10. I did choose the 8t over the 8pro, cause I did find it a little bigger and knew I wouldn't stick with it for long. Hopefully, I don't go back to the S10, because of the size.

15. Sheik_Nawaz
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2020

16. R1562423590065
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2020

R1562423590065 , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Yes Ofcourse we want a smaller flagship, one that does fit in our hands, I've been using OnePlus 6t since it's launch, but I'm still not able to adapt to the bigger dimensions, as i never was a fan of large phones, and yes, iPhone 12 mini is a very good choice, as there are not many not many options.
    If OnePlus could develop a smaller flagship, i would buy it without second thoughts.

17. georgesunnyt
    Froyo Nov 27, 2020

18. PascalGER98
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2020

PascalGER98 , via OnePlus 8 , Nov 27, 2020 :
    6inch is just a perfect balance between using your Phone Like 90% onehanded and comfortably watching Media