What's Linux?

1. elanglois
    Lollipop May 31, 2020

elanglois , May 31, 2020 :
    No one seems to understand why I HATE the Microsoft Surface I have to use at work. The UI is horrible. To find an app that is already running, I have to use a swipe or Windows-Tab to get the timeline, but if the app isn't running I have to use the Windows key to get the menu. I'm used to the Gnome overview screen that everything in one spot.

Want to see a good UI? How about my laptop which is 6 years old and still running great. Here is what a modern Linux system looks like:

G_plusone, dsmonteiro, otto2 and 6 others like this.
  2. BeingIncog
    Nougat May 31, 2020

Starcommander and Dresa91 like this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

elanglois , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Could you explain what you mean by "messy"?

otto2 likes this.
  4. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jun 1, 2020

BeingIncog , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Not so user friendly, not so manageable...

Starcommander likes this.
  5. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

elanglois , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jun 1, 2020 :
    You need to be more specific. I just posted the HORRIBLE UI of Timeline, daily I fight with Microsoft products and I can tell you story after story of Windows being a shit-show.

Manageable? Yeah, because the first thing you do with Windows is install an anti-virus and reload the damn thing every couple months to try and fix the problems and reboot it every damn day.

Linux systems run forever and are nearly fool-proof.

Again, you need to have something SPECIFIC as to what your complaint is! Otherwise, this sounds like general heresay from someone who has never used it.

otto2 likes this.
  6. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jun 1, 2020

I don't do that!
    Lack of drivers support... Etc.
    It's not.

malidan and Starcommander like this.
  7. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jun 1, 2020

8. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

Re: Lack of drivers.

In most cases, this is a thing of the past. For example, consider setting up a printer. I had to jump through hoops to get things set up at work, and the printer refused to work until after I rebooted the surface. Later, the printer's IP address was changed and obviously the printer stopped working, but changing the printer's IP in the printer properties wouldn't make it work until after rebooting the device. There is NO reason to need a reboot to connect to a printer, but that has been an issue twice

Solus Linux simply tells me it found a printer and configured it when I connect to the network. I don't have to do anything. I didn't even have to look for the printer. It just politely informs that there is a printer on the network I can print to.

In some rare cases, there are driver issues, but only when the company that manufactures the product both refuses to create a driver and also refuses to issue information about the chipset being used in the product so that open source drivers can be written. Currently, it's so much faster and easier to make drivers for Linux, that product development often uses Linux as the test OS. This means Linux drivers are available before the product is released and long before a Windows driver is even worked on.

Your information about driver availability may be out of date!

However, you made claims of manageability and user friendliness which has nothing to do with device drivers!

otto2 likes this.
  9. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

Again, in what way?

You click on the icon, it opens. Are you mistaking complexity for being different? Just because its not familiar to you doesn't mean it's more complex!

A good example is drive letters. Are these drives? partitions? Which letter goes to what? what about removable drives? If you plug in 3 USB drives, what letters do they get? Tommorrow you plug them in but in a different order and now the letters changed! This is a horrible and confusing aspect of Windows from the CPM days that Linux has no part of! (Actually, under the hood, there was a similar problem with device names, but this is now gone and the problem was never seen by end-users).

You don't see a drive letter and that may initially confuse you because it's not the Windows way, but it's only because of how horribly misleading and confusing (and "complex") those letters are! Drive letters are from the 70s!

Need to use MTP to transfer files to or from your phone? Plug in the phone to Linux and it works. Under Windows, it has to install drivers (these days automatically, but it does), and those drivers fail to work so often that you'll find thread after thread of people saying to do all sorts of stupid things to make it work, like installing ADB drivers and all sorts of stuff. All that advice is wrong BTW! Won't help! Those are totally different USB devices even though it's the same cable and the same port. Confusing maybe, but not specific to any OS! Or how about using ADB and Fastboot to do low-level stuff on your phone? That can be a nightmare for people to install (which is why Oneplus includes the drivers and an installer on a virtual CD on the phone - a neat Linux trick called the USB Gadget interface). Under Linux, no such drivers are needed! It just works!

Further you don't have to figure out what website is trusted to install the adb and fastboot programs from like you do under Windows. Under Linux, open the Software Center, search for "adb", click install and it will verify your password. Now you are done! It not only finds and installs the software but uses digital encryption keys to check that the software was not modified from its original form and is safe to install. Would you rather do it the Windows way? That is WAY more complex! All software installation is that quick and easy.

Not only are everyday tasks simpler, but the eye-candy shown in the video would be nearly impossible for an average user to set up under Windows. The process here is to open the Gnome extensions website and browse for the features you want to add. When you see something you like, click the switch to turn on the extension. If the extension is not on your system, it will ask if you want to download and install it. In most cases, the extension is then ready to use (in a couple seconds) and operational without restarting anything. THIS is simple! THAT is user-friendly! THAT is manageable!

Ever see the horrible mess of the Windows Control Panel? Yuck! How often does Removing a program fail? How often are things installed without your permission? SMH.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  10. Murman
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2020

Murman , Jun 1, 2020 :
    I just moved to a place where I can no longer hard wire to my router. My cheap WiFi dongle does not work with Linux (KDE Neon) these days so I ordered one off Amazon (local computer store is closed due to Covid). When I get home tomorrow we will see how it works. The seller offers Linux support so my hopes are high.

Starcommander and BeingIncog like this.
  11. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

SJBoss , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Are you using Windows XP? :rolleyes:

After reading your posts all I can understand is you want windows to be linux. Not gonna happen sorry.

malidan, Starcommander and BeingIncog like this.
  12. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jun 1, 2020

Okay I don't wanna talk what is best or not, both have user base according to their personal preferences, that's great. Okthxbye.

13. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

malidan, BeingIncog and SJBoss like this.
  14. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

SJBoss , Jun 1, 2020 :
    In every way... As he is just talking about himself, he is not familiar with Linux and everything seems too complex to him just like you're struggling with windows. The most common PC OS on the planet.

A little tip : Stop trying to do it Linux way it won't work because it is not Linux. It's windows learn the windows ways.

Also I don't know what you're talking about... I'm running windows 10 on my work PC I've installed it back in 2017 it's running as good as it was than, I've never installed an Anti Virus because on windows 10 you don't need one, and my work PC is always either working or in sleep mode I hardly ever turn it off so no, you don't need to reboot or reload it every day.

You just don't know how to Windows and it's fine most people don't know how to Linux.

15. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

SJBoss , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Umm... Never? :rolleyes:
    Also Never.

Classic examples of not knowing what you're doing. smh.

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

The desktop (KDE) doesn't matter. Do you know who makes the dongle? Generally support is good for most major brands, but some of the cheapies will give trouble. There is actually a way to use Windows drivers for some of these, so if it doesn't work, let me know and I may be able to take off my consumer hat and dig out my old hacker hat and get it working for you.

Also make sure you are using the latest Linux distribution as support for devices changes rapidly!

17. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

No. I've been in IT for 20 years. Been using computers since I was 4 years old. Don't tell me I don't know how to use Windows!

18. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

SJBoss , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Well... You don't.

19. elanglois
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

Windows 10

And Yeah, I don't want to have to reboot to change the IP on a printer. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to do things that should be simple.

20. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jun 1, 2020

Bouncer71 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jun 1, 2020 :
    I only use Linux on an BananaPi running Owncloud and DNS server...
    Configuration and maintenance is done via console...

In never really got fond of Unix Derivatives as Desktop cause of lack of support for me essential software...

When I went from AmigaOS to Windows 3.11, I wished back the simplicity of the Amiga, by Win95 I got used to it, finding my way around in Win98, 2000, NT later on.. First came into contact with Unix 1999 configuring and maintain SUN Proxy Servers, tried SUSE + KDE, Red Hat, etc. back then... For simple desktop use ok but far from user-friendly and compatibly issues e.g. syncing my palmtop..
    Since then I only skipped Windows 8. Also tried MacOS... But again Lack of compatible software and no advantage in speed or ease of use made me go back to Windows...

Linux for endless running systems is great..!
    But for me too limited software wise as a desktop...

Oh... Also tried Wine once...
    Didn't really work...

I've got tired of trying more...

Some of my Linux using friends say...
    "Use Gimp instead of Photoshop, get Open Office..."

I say...

"Well, I use both alongside..."

They don't need commercial software, that's okay...
    If they are happy with Linux and it's functionality as a desktop system, perfect..

It's just not for me...
    Same reason I got me a windows tablet after the disappointment with iPads and Android tablets...

I also don't see a reboot as a problem anymore...
    It's not 2005 when it took a couple of minutes, now it's a matter of seconds...

BTW...
    My 7 years old I5-4670k Desktop still running smoothly on Windows 10...

buntycubal and Loveit like this.