What's the story behind your Profile Picture (Avatar)

1. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

luigimario , Dec 13, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

A picture can say 1000 words

Hello everyone, and happy Friday! This thread is sort of a natural connection to @YRJ's thread "What's the story behind your username?". It all started with another thread that I made recently, "Animated Avatar Club", the purpose of which was to find other forum members with animated gif profile pics like I have.

@puccellino suggested that I start a thread to share stories about profile pics because he, and many others here have some meaning behind why they chose their profile pic. So please feel free to tell your story, and tag other users that have a profile pic you are curious about!

I'll start with my story, it's a simple one. I should have posted my user name story in YRJ's thread but basically when I was young and played Super Mario games, I always picked Luigi because I felt like he was an underrated character and always got neglected as the younger brother. I always thought he was cooler than Mario because he wasn't as pudgy, could jump higher, and eventually starred in his own games. And let's not forget his death stare!
    [​IMG]

I chose my profile pic because at the time I signed up, gifs were allowed and Disco Luigi, (not to be confused with @DiscoStu) was the coolest one I found at the time.

Special thanks to YRJ for the thread banners (he's really talented) and puccellino for the thread idea.

So without further ado, please share your awesome profile pics and related stories! :D

SRD., anunayC, seanset and 34 others like this.
  2. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

YRJ , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Yaay! It's finally here. Can't wait to read the stories. :D
    Well done luigi :)

About my avatar story:
    I initially stuck (for a long time) with my little Bean picture, dressed in festive attire. That thing was real and original. (Of course it was cute too :p )

But then this funny thing happened,
    T-Series vs Pewdiepie was BIG news. They were in a constant race to overtake each other.
    Although, I never really supported anyone, I just changed my avatar to PewDiePie. It was a time when celebrity avatars were in fashion and I became the PewDiePie of the forums! :D
    Maybe I still am, who knows?

It was very recently that I started to experiment with my avatars, I did not quite like the idea of living behind the curtains, I needed to have an identity of my own.
    It was time to bid adieu to celebrity pictures ( it changes nothing TS ♡) and I finally arrived at a graphic design that is nothing but completely ME!

I remember @Impersonal saying that, I must be who I am! I still change my avatar sometimes, but it will always be YRJ ;)

Why be someone else when you can be you? ;) :cool:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019

3. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 13, 2019 :
    I was always a Yoshi guy in all the Mario games that I could be him not Mario. Yoshi was the poor little guy there Mario just rode on and got no love even though he could butterfly float with his legs

and in terms of my avatar I haven't settled on one yet and until I get to that special Avatar I don't think I will stay with one in particular for too long (I guess never settle applies to my avatars as well)

maybe over the course of my time on the forums I will be suggested in Avatar which will be perfect for me similar to how @Starcommander got his name! (I'm open to suggestions!)

4. MosheG1

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 13, 2019 :
    you just beat me to the first post!
    I thought I was going to be first!

5. YRJ

YRJ , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Hahaha! I gave you full 13 minutes to be first :D

6. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Well if your not first, you're last! :tonguewink:

7. MosheG1

8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 13, 2019

G_plusone , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Here's my avatar story, I don't think I gave much thought to my Avatars when I joined . It was picture of a Moon I found on Google search

PSX_20191213_120328.jpg
    I was asked if I shot that picture of the the Moon :D I told them it was a random photo on the internet .

then after a long time I changed it to a giant old Gameboy which which got covered by moss and algae in a post apocalyptic world .
    PSX_20191213_121242.jpg
    Then I got Galaga shown through the spaceship pilot's helmet.
    1514147193600~2.jpg

MyCurrent Avatar is a combination of Characters from Two of my Favorite Anime Pokémon and Naruto .

Which was named as Pikashi :p

9. BeingIncog
    Nougat Dec 13, 2019

BeingIncog , Dec 13, 2019 :
    so here it is!

the story of cute ghost avatars.

i was nick named as a ghostie/ghosty in the off-topic chat thread named wormhole. i don't remember who nick named me and what was the story(partially remembering)!

the story what i remember is that used to sleep late night/early meowning. which ghosts do!

i also had some cute animated/cartoons avatars, Mr. Robot avatar(s), creepy avatars...

i like kewt animals and gifs! which @GopalB. and @Mjo (and many others) sent me in wormhole.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019

10. puccellino
    Lollipop Dec 13, 2019

puccellino , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Hey, great thread, and thanks for the acknowledgement in the history to the thread........:)

Also great header, @YRJ , you did well.

It seems there are going to be two categories of users, those who have permanent avatars, and those who "never settle".

I'm of the perm section, I have a gif avatar, and they can no longer be uploaded, so I'm keeping mine as long as I can. Why so?....nostalgia.

When I joined the forum, I chose still of a bird, as my name resembles this bird. But perhaps I was a tad annoying on the website, with too many nonsense posts. My friend @meatandy and I laughed about it, and he said I should have an avatar to aptly represent me, and then went out of his way to find it for me. It fits perfectly!

So, I keep the gif, as a momento of our friendship, and the fact my bad jokes on site never do settle (well with other users ...hehe.)

@SoniaB, you've kept your avatar the same since I first met you, and its a very noticeable and memorable avatar. Is there a story as to why you chose it?
    :)

Also @youbi, your avatar is very memorable......and a bit scary too...... I'd love to know if there is a story behind your choice too.

This thread has also reminded me of a hilarious thread a while ago reflecting on the no avatar image being like a Lionel Richie cutout, I must find it.

:D

11. YRJ

YRJ , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Thank you! There were many iterations. I'm glad we could come to a conclusion :D

About your avatar, I think it is the very first avatar that caught my eye when I was on these forums, years ago!
    It's a shame that we can't have gif's anymore. Maybe @Robin A. Can make it happen? ;)

I would like to invite @camohan to talk about his avatar! :D

12. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Dec 13, 2019

camohan , Dec 13, 2019 :
    At the age of 59, it becomes difficult to remember lot of things. :confused:

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 13, 2019

G_plusone , Dec 13, 2019 :
    You can say that when you are 59 now Tell us your Vespa stories
    :rolleyes:

14. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 13, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 13, 2019 :
    My story :
    Someone from wormhole suggested me that my name is analogous to Starlord and Miss Hee called me as her Starlord, so I changed my dp to Starlord.

Then I met @Wonderwoman13. She called me Tara which is hindi word for star and kept this image there after

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

15. YRJ

YRJ , Dec 13, 2019 :
    All I hear is excuses!

Let's me help you,
    Young @camohan in his prime, alights on his brand new Vespa as he drives through the high altitude villages of ladakh, I guess it was tegar? 😬

There was something about the Vespa...... Not one, not two but 6 rear view mirrors! Safety glasses and a bikers helmet!

Don't forget about the windshield though :p
    It may look fragile but it is as strong as a tank, or maybe as strong as the windows of the Tesla cybertruck! Whatever it is, he feels safe behind it. Can even Dodge a missile.

Now that he reads though this, he can visualise his Vespa piercing through the winds, Drenched in nostalgia he says to himself

"Ah! Those were the days!"

Sounds familiar? :p

And did I mention you were destined to be a moderator?
    You modded your Vespa too ;)

16. BeingIncog
    Nougat Dec 13, 2019

BeingIncog , Dec 13, 2019 :
    You tagged me?

MosheG1 and Starcommander like this.
  17. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Dec 13, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Yes, I tagged you saying that I will reserve this place just like our ghosty did!

MosheG1 likes this.
  18. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 13, 2019

Anshu3110 , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Finally this post is up!

I think these Avatars and Username posts are really good in binding the community together because it lets you know a little more about each other in such a diverse community and also makes great stories fun to read.

I am fairly very new to the community and I haven't felt as related to any avatar or username so far. Will change when I finally find the one I completely relate to.

But to start with, I wanted to put up something I sketched and this was the first image that came up in my gallery.

1576253725383.jpg

I had not painted in a while and one evening I was feeling inspired, sipping my wine by myself, when I decided to sketch something. I made a series of rough sketches and this was the final one I decided to go ahead with (but never did the final piece). This lady in blue is one of those 30-second rough sketches I did that evening. Since it was left incomplete, I felt suitable to put up as my avatar at the moment.

Damn, I need to make the final piece.

While all the avatars are quite intriguing, I personally like @B.I.T.S. a lot because it looks like a claw at first but it isn't. I think it is a very clever picture.

Thanks a lot again Luigi and YRJ, I'm loving this.

19. Liehjan
    Lollipop Dec 13, 2019

Liehjan , Dec 13, 2019 :
    The story behind mine is simple, I's a combination of my childhood's favorite cartoon character and a 2019 "hype beast" :D

upload_2019-12-13_10-9-10.png

20. Crystal Z.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Dec 13, 2019

Crystal Z. , Dec 13, 2019 :
    My story is boring. The first day when I joined the community team, @David Y. asked me to change my avatar to a picture of me as a little bean. I asked why, and he said it's tradition, just look at what Pete and Carl and other staff did. Then I asked my mom for an old picture, she felt sorry because she didn't keep any! I felt like no one loved me, then I got this picture of my niece as I'm told we are alike as a child.( :rolleyes: okay fine, at least I was cute:p)

And now, there're a lot of colleagues from other teams asking me to add staff title under their username, I asked them to change the avatar to a picture when they were a kid. They ask me the same questions and get the same answer of what I'm told.

And the truth is, we want to be close to the community. We only show the old pictures to people we are familiar with.

Mr. BG, TibiTibi, Ruby G. and 17 others like this.