What's your current phone and why do you want to upgrade to OnePlus One?

1. Ramitkw
    Froyo Nov 26, 2014

Ramitkw , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I'm currently using s4 and wanna buy opo because
    1 cyanogenmod
    2 camera primary and secondary both
    3 resolution
    4 battery
    5 sandstone back
    6 gorilla glass
    7 impressive touch
    8 4k video recording
    9 screen size
    10 the phone has everything I need

2. drjpb
    Donut Nov 26, 2014

drjpb , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Blackberry 9900. Old technology, wanting more functionality, wanting to enter the real world, willing to give up the keyboard.

3. thechosin44
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

thechosin44 , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Factory Galaxy S2 on AT&T... 3yr old phone but it still works fine for me.
    I try to ignore all the new phones around me because they all have better features.
    Haven't upgraded yet because i don't want to be under contract and buying a new phone outright is expensive.... until now. that's why i want this phone.

Thedylanackerman likes this.
  4. go for.android13
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2014

5. bertomunus
    Froyo Nov 26, 2014

bertomunus , Nov 26, 2014 :
    experience exactly the same problem so annoying!

6. rapha84
    Donut Nov 26, 2014

rapha84 , Nov 26, 2014 :
    iPhone 4 - it was a great phone but since the latest updates it has become a slow, one-legged turtle high on weed.

Besides that, I want to give a try to Android as I feel iOS and Apple are trying to lock me (and its users) within their products... I wanna get out of it =P

Finally: I feel insane to pay so many bucks on an iPhone 6 or + . They are great products, hell yeah... but the value is way higher with the OPO. I can (and probably will) get an OPO AND an iPad Air 2 for the price of an iPhone 6+

7. malate.98
    Froyo Nov 26, 2014

8. ExpatZ
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2014

ExpatZ , Nov 26, 2014 :
    My current phone is an OPO and I want an OPO because they are like Frito Lays.

9. Praveen SAMBU
    Donut Nov 26, 2014

Praveen SAMBU , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I agree with you! I have LG and this OPO looks quite attractive. what do you think about this method of marketing the phone?

10. drradkin
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2014

11. jasonwhittaker
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2014

jasonwhittaker , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I have a Nexus 4, which will go onto ebay in a few days' time (once I've cleaned it out). I have had a OnePlus One for 28 hours now and it's the best £278.99 I've ever spent. (Okay, not too much in that specific category, but hey!)

Okay, I apologise for hijacking this reply box with a long response, but after one day with the One I kind of want to share my opinion and, for very sensible reasons, OnePlus prevents starting new threads unless you've replied previously and I simply want to get my thoughts out about the phone. I've been trying to get my hands on one for a while now, and am very pleased that it's arrived. What follows is utterly subjective and I have zero connections with OnePlus other than being a customer. For comprehensive (and very technical) comments, I'd recommend the Tom's Hardware review at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oneplus-one-smartphone,3992.html, while for sheer entertainment value (as well as being a thread that swayed my opinion) I'd go to https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/my-f-ing-oneplus-one-review-explicit.72181/. Yeah, it's explicit, and it's a lot of fun.

I'm going to have a couple of critical comments to make about the One - or, more accurately, OnePlus - but before I do (in case you're in any doubt as to my opinion), please mark the following:

Oh. My. F***ing. God.

If you have a spare £300 and can actually get an order/invite for this thing (one of my criticisms to follow) then simply buy it now.

Now for a more considered response.

I bought my Nexus 4 about 18 months ago. I much prefer stock Android to the various crapware skins out there (though I have a mildly soft spot for HTC's Sense, which I think is more a response to the sheer gorgeousness of its physical frame more than anything) and I was very satisfied with the Nexus for two days. Then I placed it, sans case, on a cold surface. The Nexus runs very hot - not quite fry-an-egg hot, but certainly enough to warm more the cockles of your heart. And someone in their infinite wisdom decided to cover the back in gorilla glass 2 because, hey, that was similar to what the iPhone 4/4S used. The splitting sound I heard that day was the noise of my heart breaking in two. I could have (should have) returned it, I guess, but I'd waited a week for it and I wanted that phone. Anyway, it hasn't left the case I immediately bought ever since other than for the occasional clean.

That slightly soured my relations with the Nexus, but it's generally been a pretty solid phone, and I like the fact that it was a well-priced unlocked phone that I could swap a SIM out when travelling abroad. It has two issues, however: first of all, the screen is fine indoors, but has always been a pain in bright sunlight. I can barely see it on some days. Okay, so I've learned to squint (more), but much more significant is the battery degradation in a year and a half. It could (just) make a day of modest use previously, but now I have to recharge it if I do anything more than make the odd phone call, check an occasional email and reply to texts (damn! I miss the days of my old Razr which could go a week or more between charges!)

Also, I realised the screen was just too small for me at 4.7 inches. My wife loves her iPhone 4S which is perfect for her pinkies, but whenever I've picked it up I do a fairly decent impression of a gorilla encountering a tiny 2001-style obelisk. Not good. I've always pretty much loathed Samsung's design ("How much for a piece of shiny plastic?!?!?!") so when Apple joined the bigger screen party I was tempted. The day I held an iPhone 6 in my hand, however, was a real revelation. I'm not an Android fanboi and use an iPad regularly and a Macbook Pro not so regularly, and would happily invest in an iPhone if it was the right device. My response, however, was the same as for the HTC One/M8. It's nice. It's just not £600 unlocked nice (and don't even think about the crappy contract you need to sign in your own blood to hide the real price from you). I was tempted for a few nanoseconds to buy a Nexus 5, but thought it would provide me with similar screen size/quality and battery issues, and when I saw the price of the Nexus 6... well, I love a bargain when I see it and this increasingly isn't one, added to which I can't even hold the damn thing before I hand over my hard-earned pennies.

I'd read a lot about the OnePlus and it intrigued me. Getting hold of one has been a royal PITA, but it finally arrived yesterday. To repeat. Oh. My. F***ing. God.

Good points:
    The size. Yeah, it has a slightly outsized bezel, but for my prehensile, simian mitts this just works. Perhaps you too need to be a deformed giant, but for my noble, outsized hands this is great.
    The screen. Well, late November is hardly the time for blazing sunlight, but so far this is great - a bright, IPS screen that is fantastic for movies and which my cataract-ridden eyes actually have a chance of viewing out of doors.
    Battery. Degradation over time will be the real test, but I am immensely pleased that after 7 hours since my last charge it has lost less than 20% of its power (and that included half an hour of graphics-intensive gameplay).
    Build quality. Extremely good. Okay, in my heart of hearts I want an aluminium unibody case milled to within a fraction of absolute perfection (correction: I want solid adamantium with a diamond overlay, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay for it), but this is solid and much, much lighter than I expected. Also, it seems to avoid the overheating problems that the Nexus suffered from. I guess a year and a half is an eternity in terms of phone design.
    Cyanogen. Why on earth hadn't I come across this before? Almost stock Android but with many more configuration options. I'm gonna love this (though, then again, I need to get out more). I have an OTG cable and, thanks to decent file manager (yeah, I know, the really exciting stuff) I transferred a few GB of music files in minutes.
    64 GB storage. Okay, there's no micro SD slot - but I just got my hands on a 64 GB (circa 54 GB usable) phone that cost me a decent meal over the 16 GB option. As for all those other conniving phone manufacturers who force you to take out a small mortgage for larger options, go figure.

Not so good points (or, finally, where I get to the critical points mentioned above):
    Getting hold of the damn thing. I mean, seriously. I've been waiting months to try this out. Actually, I have learned the virtues of patience in a consumer-oriented society where usually any desire can be instantly gratified via the abuse of a credit card. More to the point, I do wonder just how long OnePlus can keep this up - they must have some serious logistics issues which I hope that they can sort out lest they fall by the wayside.
    Possible 4G issues. I haven't tried this out (the Nexus 4 didn't support LTE so I've just whacked in my old 3G-compatible SIM for the time being). I know I'm restricted to Three and EE in this regard, but then I live in the countryside so talk of 4G makes my sides burst with merry, bucolic laughter. Ho hum. Not a deal-breaker for me, but one day it might be nice to join this mobile broadband party that everyone keeps talking about...
    Random reboots. Two in one day. Okay, I've been hammering my (WiFi) connection, but I suspect that for all I may fall in love with Cyanogen, she could be a slightly fickle lover. Again, not a deal breaker, but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    Possible support issues. Another non-deal breaker, but I'm very much aware that I've purchased this phone from a Chinese company that doesn't have the infrastructure for widespread European support. But then I didn't bother with Google for the Nexus and the one time I tried to contact Apple regarding an iPad issue... I'll stop grinding my teeth one day. In the end, that's what the interweb is for.
    Getting hold of the damn thing. Did I mention how much effort I've had to put into this buying one of these?

And that's about it. I'm sure some of the shine will wear off, but after a day's use I can't recommend this phone enough.

12. rapha84
    Donut Nov 26, 2014

rapha84 , Nov 26, 2014 :
    I think their Marketing is quite right for a small company. They cannot afford to market like the big players, so they use the good old word-of-mouth marketing. And they do have a great product, perhaps not the best phone out there but surely the best value-product. And customers that are looking for a good product will check all the reviews on youtube or tech blogs, which basically all say the same: great product with the best value, meaning that OP has a great selling proposition with this marketing strategy.

And they certainly can create a buzz, even at the forum here I can see that some customers of other brands just hang out... and I bet everyone is already looking forward for the +2 phone, which should come next year.

The invitation thing might have been a problem to some in the past, but I created my account today and 15 minutes later had an Invitation. All in all, I think they are on the right track. My only concerns are:

- support for the growing customer base: users are getting in and I've read some concerning cases of (bad) technical support
    - consistency on the next generation: it should follow OPO's "DNA" if they want create a brand here
    - the quality of the products: if they can improve on it and keep the track on the rest, I see OnePlus as a serious contender on the future

Looking forward to getting my yellow-package-of-happiness :)

13. sanju.skulkarni
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2014

sanju.skulkarni , Dec 2, 2014 :
    Currently a Galaxy S2 User, looking for an opt replacement. I couldn't think of any other phones making a worthy upgrade than the One Plus One.

14. Edtheman
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2014

15. msri3here
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 2, 2014

msri3here , Dec 2, 2014 :
    Current Phone: SGS3

Why am I upgrading?:
    1. SGS3 is getting old and want to try new brand after 2 Samsung phones
    2. Best hardware specs and unbeatable price on OPO + its android :)

16. pankajmer
    Eclair Dec 2, 2014

pankajmer , Dec 2, 2014 :
    I like the features... and gives me thrill just to imagine having a oneplus one in my hand...

17. gole70
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2014

18. delig_des
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2014

19. DanielT91
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2014

DanielT91 , Dec 4, 2014 :
    I have a pretty old Samsung Galaxy S1 Plus with CM10.1
    Yeah, I know, it's pretty old, but it's still pretty good with CM. But I think it's time to change.. Better specs, better camera, better battery life.. Better CM Version :D I can't wait for my 1+1 :)

20. omidb1
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2014

omidb1 , Dec 4, 2014 :
    I'm currently using a one year old Moto G and am fed up with how slow it is. That is why I'm planning to upgrade to the OPO.