75 vote(s)
    66.4%
  2. No its not Fake

38 vote(s)
    33.6%
  1. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

elanglois , May 30, 2019 :
    When reducing a large image to a small one, you lose details. To correct for this, many systems will perform a filter called "unsharp mask". When I build icons for Android , I generally start with a larger image and reduce it down. The smaller the result, the more unsharp mask you need.

You are taking a 48MP image, roughly 7000x7000 or something and dropping it down to our screensize.

I believe that a slight "unsharp mask" when producing the final image would produce the sort of definition people are seeing in GCam's output.

B_Wrath likes this.
  2. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

So if I get a Tripod I can get awesome pictures of fireworks!

anilkigal likes this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

You are saying that Oneplus should hack the Pixel app and call it there own? OMG. Just a BIT illegal. Google would likely find out and sue

B_Wrath likes this.
  4. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

Sharpening will make grain. "Unsharp Mask" does not.

5. malimal
    Cupcake May 30, 2019

malimal , May 30, 2019 :
    not happy with camera quality at all. can deal with every other sacrifice, no wireless charging, headphone jack, AoD, one handed mode, but a bad camera is a deal breaker.

pictures are just not sharp and don't seem to let in enough light.

6. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

Hmmm ... never owned a phone that was older than 2018 and under $1000? Well, I suppose you are correct. It's the worst phone camera you've ever used. It's also the cheapest by a wide margin, and only the worst by a slim margin

7. anilkigal
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

anilkigal , May 30, 2019 :
    Hahaha no just learn and get inspiration from their processing and algorithms

8. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

Google doesn't open source the code.

9. anilkigal
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

10. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

lukas.dvorok , May 30, 2019 :
    I have intentionally selected very dark environment for my sample so that camera was forced to crank up ISO all the way up to 6400 to compensate for lack of light in order to achieve good exposure.

LEFT - RAW file developed in Lightroom Mobile and exported to JPEG
    RIGHT - JPEG file from PRO mode

Please note that none of images most likely does not benefit from MFNR (Multi Frame Noise Reduction) that may even enhance image quality. One that is most likely used for auto mode.

Sample image EXIF information:
    4.JPG

My Lightroom Mobile NR settings for this image:
    5_small.jpg

Crop 1:
    1_small.jpg

Crop 2:
    2_small.jpg

Crop 3:
    3_small.jpg

Full image of JPEG taken by OnePlus camera in PRO mode (resized to fit upload limits):
    6.jpg

Full image of RAW processed in Lightroom Mobile and exported to JPEG (resized to fit upload limits):
    7.jpg

There is some luminescence noise visible on dark potions of image, that is hard to avoid in such extreme ISO. But bright areas have very little luminescence noise. There is lot more fine detail preserved in RAW image developed in Lightroom Mobile compared to JPEG from camera. This can be for sure further improved with MFNR. But even as it stands now luminescence noise in RAW image developed in Lightroom Mobile is not that intrusive at least not for me personally. In my books it is definitively less intrusive than smudgy / less sharp / muddy look in JPEG produced by camera. What do you think?

Last edited: May 30, 2019

11. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

They could possibly license the code from the ColorOS Camera. It was created by OPPO, who is a owned by the same company as OnePlus, and many of the Oneplus employees have worked at OPPO, and they share parts so they can order in bulk, etc .... ie. They have an established business relationship.

ColorOS camera algorithms would make a good start. I personally think a bit of unsharp mask would give the pop and detail that people are seeing.

And GCam is a joke on OP7 right now. Colors are off, unsaturated, and its just buggy as hell. Stock camera is usually better

12. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

WTF ? Gcam = Google Camera. What are you trying to say?

13. anilkigal
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

Same, gcam= Google camera

14. elanglois
    Lollipop May 30, 2019

Duh. But you aren't explaining how that helps. Will a damn DSLR help, too? It takes great pictures! And a DSLR will help just as much as Gcam will. Again ... Gcam isn't open-source. You don't get to look at the code!

15. anilkigal
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

Hahaha m just suggesting as an non geek, it's upto devlopers

16. pvitale
    Froyo May 30, 2019

pvitale , May 30, 2019 :
    Here are two pics I took with GCam and stock camera. back to back. like I said in other posts. this phone has potential to be great camera it's just getting the software right. can't OnePlus start with the gcam apk and work from there? If you zoom in on words in the pics you will see a huge difference. also this is version 9.56 of oxygen. I think it got worse in sharpness. let me know your thoughts. like I said before this just shows it has potential to be a great camera OnePlus just needs to get software right. again start with good apk and work from there.

UPDATE when I posted this and looked at it I realized IT downgraded the quality in both. I guess you will have to take my word for it.
    1559223070413.jpg
    GCam
    1559223070496.jpg
    stock

17. mbcool
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

mbcool , May 30, 2019 :
    Do you think OnePlus 7 pro can beat S10 + in camera department after few software update?

18. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

lukas.dvorok , May 30, 2019 :
    It have potential to be on same level. I wouldn't say that one would beat another in any significant way.

OP 7 PRO have potential to beat S10 in low light. NightScape is already quite good compared to S10 night mode unless Samsung really steps up its game to Pixel 3 level with some more advanced night mode. S10 have smaller camera sensor with smaller pixel size compared to IMX586 when it operates in pixel binned mode.

When it comes to resolved detail in very good light (like landscape photos) OP 7 PRO have advantage with 48MP mode if its done right like Honor managed to pull it out on View 20.

S10 will always have advantage in 960FPS super slow mode thanks to DRAM on main camera. It's one of reasons why they sticked to 12MP sensor.

S10 will always have advantage in certain scenarios thanks to variable F1.5/2.4 apperature.

So both will always have it's stronger and weaker sides. But personally I strongly believe OP 7 PRO IMX586 is interesting match for S10 SLSI_SAK2L4SX.

19. mbcool
    Honeycomb May 30, 2019

mbcool , May 30, 2019 :
    Nice to know that there is a scope for improvement
    really waiting for Oneplus to release few new updates
    Thanks again Man

20. Samirigirl
    Eclair May 30, 2019

Samirigirl , May 30, 2019 :
    I am very happy with the camera. When I unboxed it 3 days ago there's was an camera update and just now 10 min ago I got another camera update. Those pictures are taken with the first update only installed.

1559229152406.jpg

1559229152485.jpg

1559229152546.jpg

1559229152604.jpg

1559229152710.jpg

1559229152779.jpg