Whatsapp backup from iPhone to android and merge with old backup

1. masai
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2017

masai , Nov 27, 2017 :
    Hi everyone,
    just got my OnePlus 5T in the mail today.

I've been using an iphone for the passed 5 months, before I had the OnePlus One.
    I would like to extract my whatsapp chat backup from the iphone, merge it with the old android backup that I have (it's been through 3 different android devices, last one OnePlusOne with no problems.)

I've always transferred the whatsapp folder from an old android to the new one with no problems, but this time I don't know how to extract the iphone chat or if it even possible to merge it to the android one.
    Looking for your help, thanks.

2. Rizla
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2017

Rizla , Nov 27, 2017 :
    Can't you just restore the backup when you setup WhatsApp on the new phone?

3. masai
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2017

masai , Nov 27, 2017 :
    I can, but I'm not sure which one it will pick up. I have one on iCloud with only the passed 5 months and one on Google Drive which has messages from 2010 till 5 months ago.

I think I've always transferred the chat manually on the old androids I had, so I'm not sure how the new Whatsapp cloud backup works

4. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2017

GuitarHero0179 , Nov 27, 2017 :
    You can't restore an iCloud backup to an android device to my knowledge. There are some apps to do it but it's tricky from what I've seen. I'm not sure if your old backup from the one is still intact either since Google has an deletion policy for inactive devices

5. masai
    Cupcake Nov 27, 2017

masai , Nov 27, 2017 :
    I don’t think they are going to delete my data after only 5 months. Also my OnePlus One is still active and still going strong, I’m just not using it as a main phone because the screen broke and I can’t type fully.
    Anyway I have the actual WhatsApp folder backed up on my pc as well, so as I always did I think I can copy the folder over before installing the app and then on activation WhatsApp will see the folder with all of the files and ask to restore those chats. It always worked this way, I hope they didn’t change that.

What I would like to do is not loose this 5 months of chats. I know there are ways to bring those chats into android but I would do that only if I find a way to merge those chats with my old ones.

Any ideas how to do that?!
    As far as I know iphone uses SQLite while android being a java compiled uses MySQL.
    With that I can definitely convert and merge the two, but I need the SQLite from the iPhone first

6. X1511982855259
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2017

7. masai
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2017

masai , Nov 29, 2017 :
    I ended up restoring the Google Drive backup I had before getting the iPhone. I tried placing the old WhatsApp folder on the new OnePlus, but the app only showed the option to restore from Google Drive so I did. It only downloaded 68mb of the 1.6gb of the drive because it managed to find all of the media I placed on the folder, so that was nice.

Still not sure how to merge it with the iPhone database..

8. Hellouch
    Cupcake Jan 21, 2019

Hellouch , Jan 21, 2019 :
    Friends - any update to this? just moved from iPhone to OnePlus. Would really like to keep the WhatsApp msgs in my iPhone.
    thanks

9. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Jan 21, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Jan 21, 2019 :
    Than keep it in your iPhone...

10. Hellouch
    Cupcake Jan 21, 2019

Hellouch , Jan 21, 2019 :
    :) Good one. I meant I want to keep the iPhone msgs in current OnePlus WhatsApp version!

11. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Jan 21, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Jan 21, 2019 :
    Than maybe you should do some research and find a solution. There are software out there for you to backup and transfer. It is up to you to choice what you want. This is after all, a OnePlus forum for OnePlus issues and not WhatsApp's.

12. Stephbaker
    Donut Jan 21, 2019

Stephbaker , Jan 21, 2019 :
    Hmm, I guess I can understand the issue.