Whatsapp notification delay

1. apratim_biswas
    Cupcake Sep 17, 2019

apratim_biswas , Sep 17, 2019 :
    I am facing a strange problem with my primary whatsapp. Once I swipe it shut, no notifications come till I open the app to check so many a times I don't get to know for hours that someone has sent a message.

What is most odd in this whole thing is that the parallel WhatsApp on the same phone is working perfectly!!

I am on Android 9 / Oxygen 9.5.11

Instrument is 7 pro.

any help deeply appreciated.

2. Kgp001
    Cupcake Sep 19, 2019

3. aadysheffi
    Cupcake Sep 19, 2019

aadysheffi , Sep 19, 2019 :
    I am facing the same. Nor delay per se but I don't get notifications until I open it.

4. apratim_biswas
    Cupcake Sep 21, 2019

apratim_biswas , Sep 21, 2019 :
    no solution to the problem? I tried even fiddling with the do not disturb and notification options. no avail.

5. Gangesh Gandharva
    Cupcake Sep 21, 2019

Gangesh Gandharva , Sep 21, 2019 :
    maybe this can help or the issue is because of this

go to settings>battery>battery optimisation>then click the 3 dots in the right top corner for advanced optimisation>and then disable deep optimisation

1569056710031.jpg

6. NeoDrakkon
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2019

NeoDrakkon , Sep 22, 2019 :
    Like Gangesh said, the OxygenOS have a very strict politic regarding apps using RAM, so the battery optimization is very agressive.

You can disable all together, or you can disable some apps.

7. vvmilan
    Cupcake Jan 23, 2020

vvmilan , Jan 23, 2020 :
    I have to post to this thread as I can't start new one:

Alright, here's another complaint about delayed notifications on OxygenOS, my OnePlus 7 Pro. Thing that really makes my phone unusable.
    Please read the whole post so we can avoid tips like "aw, you can disable global battery optimizations in settings, also disable it for apps you want to get notifications for" because I have done everything found on threads as solution and nothing helped. Thanks.

I have tried to diagnose what the problem is in past few days as I saw that notifications on my phone aren't showing up at all. For ALL APPS, not only 3rd party. For NONE of the apps. Google services, Viber, Dropbox, Email, Instagram, 1st, 2nd, 3rd party apps.
    I was reading about this problem on various forums found on google and first thing I discovered that this is mentioned as far as 2016-2015 which is very bad that such problem persists and isn't solved even in 2020.
    Second thing, only solution I found mentioned as successful is "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable". That suspected culprit is Android Doze, light sleep, deep sleep. That doesn't work for me.

Found only one post came to similar conclusion as me, but unfortunately nobody answered it. Here's what I managed to find out as I tried everything.

In my case problem isn't at all in phones (deep) sleep, Doze, battery optimizations, apps getting killed in background, etc...
    I'm not receiving notifications ONLY WHEN MY PHONE IS CONNECTED TO WIFI. It takes only few minutes from when I put my phone on a table to stop receiving notifications! I can track that when I'm using PC, receiving and answering messages on Viber - nothing shows up at my OnePlus. Even after 15-30 minutes, hours, notifications aren't showing up on phone. What makes it worse: I receive message on Viber, get notification on PC, (I'm not opening message on pc for ex. 20 minutes) take my phone, use other apps - STILL DON'T GET notification. Until I open Viber (or any other particular app) only then it connects, refreshes and show up new messages!
    And no, it's not problem in Viber, I took it only as an example because it's my main IM app, as I said notifications for all apps aren't getting trough: GMail, Instagram, Dropbox, you name it...
    Another strange thing is that Google won't automatically sync it's services while on wifi. For example Keep notes, Drive and so on. When I go to settings > accounts > google account - auto sync is enabled and in details I can see that every single service is updated LAST TIME I WAS ON 4G.
    Viber backup also won't upload it's messages to Google Drive while on WiFi. On 4G it syncs backup without problems.

As I said, all of these things work flawlessly while I'm on 4G. All this syncing and NOTIFICATIONS as well. Only on 4G.
    I even tried connecting to different wifi routers, 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz and it behaves the same no matter what I do.
    When I take my phone, disable WiFi and enable 4G I immediately get all the notifications that were delayed while on WiFi. So that's how I got to the conclusion it is problem with wifi, not deep sleep etc.

Other than receiving notifications, I use phone over the WiFi normally, without any bugs or glitches: YouTube, Instagram, Chrome... Just (push) notifications aren't getting trough, and I can see all of them being refreshed as opening them.

OnePlus 7 Pro is updated to the latest firmware, 10.3.

Once more, please read the whole thread. I hope someone from OnePlus will read it and help me solve this problem as device like this is absolutely unusable.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

B1574624275466 likes this.
  8. B1574624275466
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

B1574624275466 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    oh yea, oneplus is super bad at ram management and notification push. it's known issue, just surprised me wifi is the culprit. I'm gonna give it a try. but I doubt it. anyway so yea, f*u*c*k oneplus, I'll never recommend this to my friends. and I'll sell the phone as soon as new iPhone comes out.

vvmilan likes this.
  9. B1574624275466
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

B1574624275466 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    just tried it out and uploaded a video.

wasted another hours on trying. Samsung or apple still the way to go. smartphones that gets the important job done on time. I'm tired of trying with oneplus.

vvmilan and Xiaobin_Lu like this.
  10. vvmilan
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

vvmilan , Jan 24, 2020 :
    That's it. So You have exactly the same problem as me.
    It's NOT problem in Doze, deep sleep and so on, it is problem when You're on WiFi. So I'm not alone. Thanks for feedback.
    And when you switch from wifi to mobile data - all stuck notifications will go trough.

Which version of software are you using? Mine is 10.3.0.GM21AA.

I have contacted live customer support yesterday
    , sent them this detailed info about the problem and they replied that they already have this particular problem (with not working on wireless network only) reported by many users and it's software problem in latest update of OxygenOS. Assured me that they are aware of the problem and developers are working on it to be fixed in next firmware update. I hope update will come quickly and it will be solved indeed because not receiving notifications while on WiFi at all renders my OnePlus unusable!

11. Xiaobin_Lu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jan 24, 2020 :
    the same phone US unlocked 10.3
    I won't take their words too serious.

vvmilan likes this.
  12. vvmilan
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

vvmilan , Jan 24, 2020 :
    I hope you're wrong, and they are still true to initial idea - enthusiasts making software and phones for enthusiasts.
    This is my first OnePlus, have no experience with their SW team, let's put OP developers to the test and see if it gets resolved.