WhatsApp poor quality when sending video

1. AndreiLiviu
    Donut Jan 26, 2020

AndreiLiviu , Jan 26, 2020 :
    I have noticed that on my op7t running oos 10.0.4 the quality of sent videos on WhatsApp is about the same as if the footage was taken with a Nokia flip phone. Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem? On my previous phone, Xiaomi mi5, I have never experienced such an issue.

2. Cervantes
    Lollipop Moderator Jan 26, 2020

Cervantes , Jan 26, 2020 :
    Hi
    Videos or photos look good on the phone
    You ask whatsapp because you have this problem

3. NahbiCris
    Jelly Bean Jan 28, 2020

kevonn95, GeekOnTheHill and Bouncer71 like this.
  4. KUNAL T
    Donut Feb 2, 2020

KUNAL T , Feb 2, 2020 :
    Experiencjng the same problem. Terrible video compression engine from oneplus. All videos are stuttering and not of good quality. Please fix asap

impex4 and C1574749079972 like this.
  5. npatel70
    Honeycomb Feb 2, 2020

npatel70 , Feb 2, 2020 :
    It's whatsapp compression...... Not the phone!

6. Ramu Yandra
    Eclair Feb 2, 2020

8. KUNAL T
    Donut Feb 18, 2020

KUNAL T , Feb 18, 2020 :
    It doesn't make sense. Every android has the same compression engine.
    I'm experiencing the same issue on insta uploads too. And on my Twitter uploads.

It can't be a whatsapp issue.

9. klaoo
    Donut Feb 18, 2020

klaoo , Feb 18, 2020 :
    I have the same issue, and I hate this so much about the phone. I also hate people who say it's normal because of the video compression. Of course WhatsApp compresses videos, but the quality is too low. I've never had/seen this issue on other Android phones (nor on iPhones for that matter). So, since videos taken with other smartphones look a lot better than the ones taken with OnePlus (after they're compressed and sent through WhatsApp), I don't think the issue is with WhatsApp (basically it's the same app on different phones).

Or, it could be because WhatsApp has trouble processing the format in which OnePlus records videos. (although, I've tried the Google cam apk and had the same issues).

@AndreiLiviu, I've tried a lot of stuff (even installed apps to compress the videos locally before sending them on WhatsApp), and each time the video quality was garbage. What I can recommend is to use 1080p@60fps - for me, this seems to be best quality you can get after compression, and it also allows to send smaller videos as files (if you want the original quality and don't mind sending 80MB for 30s videos).

Enrique Malagamba and Amershobh like this.
  10. klaoo
    Donut Feb 18, 2020

klaoo , Feb 18, 2020 :
    Also, I've emailed WhatsApp about this, and they gave me the same BS with compression. And OnePlus doesn't really care. This will probably not get fixed (ever), so, better luck with your next phone.

Enrique Malagamba likes this.
  11. lore.gba
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2020

lore.gba , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 18, 2020 :
    i also noticed this poor quality after compression. My previous phone, which was a xiaomi phone, didn't compress so horribly. I always used whats app to send my videos because it didn't compress that bad as a fb messenger does for example, and now it's not working the same. That's a shame, cause what's the point of filming something in good quality when you can't send it to someone in this good quality. I really hope 1+ will do something with it since i think the fault is in the device itself, not in whats app..

12. Kaito_kid
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 19, 2020

Kaito_kid , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 19, 2020 :
    my goodness you kids cry a lot

Aviroop96, otto2 and colaboy like this.
  13. SurfinBobby
    Donut Mar 29, 2020

SurfinBobby , Mar 29, 2020 :
    The problem seems to be on oneplus software side, during video compression. Apparently when compressing a video, there is a mismatch between rec 2020 and rec 709 filters and the video gets extra saturation during the process. It occurs when you export to YouTube or WhatsApp but I am having the problem locally when I just trim a video or add background music: after saving it the video gets a lot of saturation and looks terrible. I hope this will be fixed soon!

14. NumberSix
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2020

NumberSix , Mar 30, 2020 :
    It is easy to see for yourself why WhatsApp video is rubbish by just noting the original file size. I've just tried to send a 166MB file which is way above the maximum allowed by WhatsApp and WhatsApp compressed it down to 29MB, a huge loss of data.

sagar.jolly25 likes this.
  15. KUNAL T
    Donut Apr 7, 2020

KUNAL T , Apr 7, 2020 :
    It may be a whatsapp problem. But why only one plus 7pro.
    Works well with my op 6,6t, and Samsung note 8.
    My OP 7pro just sucks because of this.
    Tired of sending documents. Grrrr OP please contact whatsapp.

Amershobh likes this.
  16. KUNAL T
    Donut Apr 7, 2020

KUNAL T , Apr 7, 2020 :
    Yes if it's whatsapp compression why the hell doesn't it happen on all my other Android phones. Op 6, 6t, Samsung note 8... Just happening with oneplus 7pro. Absolutely pissed man. It's soo bad.

17. G_Robert_Pavić_rANE
    Cupcake Apr 8, 2020

18. stefb89
    Cupcake Apr 18, 2020

stefb89 , Apr 18, 2020 :
    Got the same ******* problem! Filmed the same with my wife her op6 and sent it to each other with whatsapp. All filmed with the same settings. My op7pro looks like it was filmed with a potatoe, it sucks. The op6 is much better. I hate my op7pro!

19. Enrique Malagamba
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2020

Enrique Malagamba , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 20, 2020 :
    Hi, I have the same problem. And I know Whatsapp crompresses videos but the quality its terrible. Videos sent from my actual OP7T are far worst than the ones sent from my previous HUAWEI P9lite. I cant share a decent video of my son with my parents! Its madness.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020

lore.gba and Amershobh like this.
  20. Alenbinny
    Cupcake Apr 21, 2020