Whatsapp restoration of chats FAILED :( Any solutions?

1. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

hirgakiopo, Sep 9, 2014 :
    So I got my one plus one some time ago and I tried to transfer my chats over from my old phone (htc desire x) to the OPO but after 5 minutes of whatsapp attempting to restore my conversations, it just gave up and an error pops up "Sorry! Whatsapp is unable to restore any of your message backups" Any idea how to solve this problem guys? :(

PS I followed the guide on Whatsapp's FAQ on how to restore as well..

ahighfield likes this.
  2. milsau19 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 9, 2014

3. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

I want to as well but the messages have a certain value to me...

4. milsau19 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 9, 2014

milsau19, Sep 9, 2014 :
    I know that feeling, but everytime i have flashed a new rom..i always lose my messages..i have now given up to restore them!!

mopsert likes this.
  5. aledesi Gingerbread Sep 9, 2014

aledesi, Sep 9, 2014 :
    @hirgakiopo

You can transfer chats from one Android phone to another. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. To start, make a backup of your most recent chats.
      • Go to WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chat settings > Backup conversations.
    2. Next, transfer this backup to your new Android phone.
      • If your phone has an external microSD card, take the microSD card out of your old phone, and pop it into your new one.
      • For phones that have an internal memory / internal SD card (most Samsung phones have this), you will need to transfer the /sdcard/WhatsApp/ folder from your old phone to the same folder of your new phone. There are a couple of ways you can do this. You can use a file explorer or even transfer the backup files to your computer.
      • Please note it is possible to be missing some files during the transfer. Please double check to make sure all the files you wish to transfer over to your new phone are included in the backup.
      • If you are unsure about what kind of SD card you have, we recommend checking your phone specifications on your phone manufacturer’s website.
    3. Once you have safely transferred your backup, you can install WhatsApp on your new Android phone.
    4. During the installation process, WhatsApp will automatically find your backup and ask you if you would like to restore it. Once restored, your old chats will reappear, on your new phone.

prim8 likes this.
  6. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 9, 2014

I never gave up waiting for my invite.. I will never give up till i find an answer to my problem!

Thats copied from the whatsapp FAQ right? I followed that as i have said in my main post...

7. aledesi Gingerbread Sep 9, 2014

aledesi, Sep 9, 2014 :
    sorry didn't see that! try to load only the messages folder and not the media ones?

8. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

hirgakiopo, Sep 10, 2014 :
    Meaning?

9. tobysyncope Eclair Sep 10, 2014

tobysyncope, Sep 10, 2014 :
    Hey, I had the same problem as you buddy ;)
    Sorry in advance for my English, it's not the best. Anyway, I'll try to explain.

The Whatsapp backups you have on your internal storage or sdcard are encrypted with the md5 hash of your Google account's mail address. Whatsapp uses the Google account it was installed with to decrypt the backup, so now to the solution.

Solution (at least for me):
    My main Google account is mail1@gmail.com but I had installed Whatsapp through my old account mail2@gmail.com, thus Whatsapp has encrypted the backups with mail2@gmail.com.
    After resetting my device, I installed Whatsapp through the Play Store with mail1@gmail.com because, well, it's my main Google account. But I couldn't restore the Whatsapp backup (same problem like you).
    So I uninstalled Whatspp, added my old Google account mail2@gmail.com and installed Whatsapp through the Play Store using this account.
    Now Whatsapp had the correct mail address to decrypt the backup and it worked perfectly.

Hope I could help!

AliB and harshadkmishra like this.
  10. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

Hey there thanks for posting this solution! My old phone used my yahoo account which is linked to my google account and i used my google account directly for my OPO, I will try and see if its the cause of the problem.

EDIT: Argh its not @tobysyncope Thanks anyway

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

11. tobysyncope Eclair Sep 10, 2014

tobysyncope, Sep 10, 2014 :
    You can also upload your backup file to http://whatcrypt.com/ and test which Google account works.

12. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

But whatsapp uses crypt7 instead of the supported crypt5 on the website. Would it still work?

13. tobysyncope Eclair Sep 10, 2014

14. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 11, 2014

15. tobysyncope Eclair Sep 11, 2014

tobysyncope, Sep 11, 2014 :
    I am by no means an expert in this topic so I'm not sure. If the crypt key only contains your Google account, it should work. If there are some other IDs involved, it won't work. Just try everything out, that's what I did when I tried out the method I described above .

16. sasianne Cupcake Dec 21, 2014

sasianne, Dec 21, 2014 :
    i got my oneplus 64gb phone 2 days back. i was able to restore all my whats app data from note 2 to OPO.. i just followed the way it was explained in below video for help..

17. Sunkyhang Cupcake Feb 11, 2015

18. aakashjhaveri Lollipop Feb 11, 2015

19. SurinderSingh Gingerbread Feb 11, 2015

20. amoghkulkarni Honeycomb Apr 20, 2015

amoghkulkarni, Apr 20, 2015 :
    Maybe your backup file is somehow corrupted or there is version mismatch

1. You can install Titanium backup (Root required) on your old phone and then backup App + data using the same for Whatsapp. Once the backup is done, go to Internal storage --> Titanium and copy the whatsapp related 3 files to your new phone. Install Titanium on the new phone, place the 3 files in Titanium folder on new phone. Restore App + Data. Once that is done, start whatsapp and update the app.

2. Go to Internal storage --> Whatsapp --> Database. There would be multiple files but only file would be named without timestamp (for eg mine is "msgstore.db.crypt8") There are chances that this file is corrupted, so copy the 2nd latest file to your new device, rename it without timestamps and try Chat restore for Whatsapp. You can try the rest of the files too for restore.

These solutions have worked for me in the past.

D0m1n1k likes this.