Whatsapp restoration of chats FAILED :( Any solutions?

1. Kaizoku Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 20, 2015

Kaizoku, Apr 20, 2015 :
    Did you copy your old whatsapp folder to your new phone?

2. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Apr 20, 2015

3. fenice KitKat Jun 4, 2015

4. merrylisa Cupcake Jun 8, 2015

merrylisa, Jun 8, 2015 :
    You can try to recover WhatsApp data from iPhone via iCloud:
    Using iCloud backup will save your WhatsApp chats and media to your iCloud account. Please note that videos are excluded from iCloud backup, in order to save space in the backup. The iCloud backup process can take awhile to complete, depending on your Internet connection and backup size.
    You can make a manual backup of your chats at any time in WhatsApp Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Backup and tap Back Up Now. You can also enable automatic, scheduled backups by tapping Auto Backup and then choosing your backup frequency.
    If you are interested in FonePaw iPhone Data Recovery, you can get more information here.

5. suavebajaj Gingerbread Sep 16, 2015

6. hirgakiopo Honeycomb Sep 16, 2015

hirgakiopo, Sep 16, 2015 :
    There is a walk-around. Do let me know if you want it

7. indiaismycountry1947 Froyo Sep 26, 2015

indiaismycountry1947, Sep 26, 2015 :
    There is simple solution for Whatsapp restoration. No need for Titanium backkup or other software etc.
    Step 1 - Old Phone - Got to Whatsapp Settings > Chats Settings or Chats and Calls > Select backup option and do backup. Remove sim card and disable wifi or 3g internet on old phone.

Step 2
    - Go to internal Storage or SD Card (depending on where you've installed Whatsapp) copy the entire directory tree (root/Whatsapp or sdcard/Whatsapp) on another SD card or OTG drive or even copy to new phone temp directory via Xender hotspot as applicable. This contains newly created backups, your whatsapp media etc. You can use default file explorer or Ez file explorer. Now Shutdown Old Phone.

Step 3 - New Phone - Install Whatsapp (Do not open Whatsapp...only install).

Step 4
    - Paste the entire Whatsapp directory tree (saved earlier in Step 2), in the new phones root directory.

Step 5
    - Run Whatsapp on new phone. It will initially do security verification call / OTP etc to your phone, post this step Whatsapp will detect backup and ask you for restore yes / no. Select Yes and it will restore all your chats, media, groups etc.

There you go are all your Whatsapp details in your new phone.

I got this simple method, from an MIUI forum post (via google search) last night. I successfully copied Whatsapp details from my Redminote to my new ONEPLUS TWO.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

hasanfaraaz likes this.
  8. hasanfaraaz Gingerbread Sep 26, 2015

hasanfaraaz, Sep 26, 2015 :
    This i am sure will definitely work, as i used the same process. @hirgakiopo

9. cryptozephyr Honeycomb Sep 29, 2015

cryptozephyr, Sep 29, 2015 :
    Titanium Backup works like a charm.

10. pacha Froyo Jan 19, 2016

pacha, Jan 19, 2016 :
    I just activate google drive with my google account and in the WhatsApp options configure an automatic safeguard of discussions weekly. I also disactivate the video clips save to reduce memory usave on drive. The safeguard frequency can be modified to suit requirements.

11. k0rt Cupcake Mar 1, 2016

k0rt, Mar 1, 2016 :
    I recently had a similar problem when switching from an old Galaxy S Duos to a OnePlus Two. In the end i got it done by installing the same WhatsApp Version on my new device than was currently installed on the old device. The old phone had a older version (2.12.367) and the Play Store Version downloaded to the new Phone was a newer one (2.12.453).
    I went to apkmirror (i'm no expert, so i cannot promise you that it's absolutely secure), downloaded and installed 2.12.367 (http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/whatsa...lease/whatsapp-2-12-367-android-apk-download/ the link is just an example, you might have to choose a different version, depending on what's currently installed on the device the backup is created on) to the new phone and voila, the messages were restored. It just seems like the backup produced by the older app version was incompatible with the newer app version.

In the end i was able to update it to the latest version through the app store and was fine.

12. hemed12 Cupcake Mar 10, 2016

hemed12, Mar 10, 2016 :

I have same problem, but i backup the chats and restored the chats with same email. why its stil give an error when restore the chats?
    Beside, even when i keep manualy the chats file from whatsapp folder (without encrypted), without the backup action by whatsapp application, and try to restore, stiil give error...
    wait...

13. hemed12 Cupcake Mar 10, 2016

hemed12, Mar 10, 2016 :

I have same problem. cant restore chats backup file, not the fle whatsapp backup to google drive, and not manual backup file i keep from whatsapp folder

14. hemed12 Cupcake Mar 10, 2016

hemed12, Mar 10, 2016 :
    I did so, and still give error message that cant restore chats.... so?

15. hemed12 Cupcake Mar 10, 2016

hemed12, Mar 10, 2016 :
    I tried to restore Whatsapp chats from google drivebackup file and also from local file and its failed during the WhatsApp install action.
    Itried many times with several files.
    Realy Need help

16. shiratal Cupcake Mar 13, 2016

17. ronyjarod Gingerbread Mar 22, 2016

18. M4sl0 Cupcake Mar 23, 2016

19. redswap Cupcake Mar 25, 2016

20. AliB Cupcake Apr 18, 2016

AliB, Apr 18, 2016 :

thank you tobysyncope.. you saved me.. it worked.. :D