Whatsapp with Android 4.4 and ART

1. overflow Eclair Aug 1, 2014

overflow, Aug 1, 2014 :
    Hey guys.

I want to post the bug with installing Whatsapp on any device with Android 4.4 and with enabled ART. I won't be possible to install and use it. Here is an official like to Whatsapp(German): http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/de/android/28000003

It says:
    The error comes up in cause of a bug with Android 4.4 if you try to install Whatsapp with enabled ART.
    A folder is created and says that you cannot install Whatsapp anymore. You have to delete the folder /data/data/com.whatsapp You can also factory reset your phone.

I had this issue on my Galaxy S2 with CM11. I changed back to dalvik because I need Whatsapp.

Here is the issue reported by another user: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61916

2. mattgoldey Eclair Aug 1, 2014

mattgoldey, Aug 1, 2014 :
    This was fixed in WhatsApp already. I was running WhatsApp in ART on 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4 before I got my OnePlus One.

Chinda likes this.
  3. gpelekanos Honeycomb Aug 1, 2014

4. ghoole Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2014

5. sn809 Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2014

6. mfa682 Cupcake Aug 2, 2014

mfa682, Aug 2, 2014 :
    Convert to ART then install whatsapp, or vice versa, i tried both without a problem.

7. overflow Eclair Aug 3, 2014

overflow, Aug 3, 2014 :
    I habe probelms with installing on dalvik and then enable ART aswell with installing it directly on ART. Weird.

But I will recieve my OPO on Monday. :)

8. AbuKole Gingerbread Aug 3, 2014

9. mattgoldey Eclair Aug 3, 2014

10. AbuKole Gingerbread Aug 3, 2014

11. nem3sis Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2014

12. mattgoldey Eclair Aug 3, 2014

mattgoldey, Aug 3, 2014 :
    An update to what? An issue that was fixed before the OnePlus One was every even released?

13. AbuKole Gingerbread Aug 3, 2014

AbuKole, Aug 3, 2014 :
    Dude, shut up. He asked a question, and folks have answered it. Go back to yelling at kids to get off your lawn, or whatever other intolerant shit you keep yourself busy with.

14. mattgoldey Eclair Aug 3, 2014

mattgoldey, Aug 3, 2014 :
    It's too bad that these forums don't have an age restriction to keep out those under 12 years old.

15. Chugz Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2014

Chugz, Aug 3, 2014 :
    I agree with /OP, still getting issues with WhatsApp and its shitty ART support. They will need to step up their game, if they ever expect to have compatibility with Android L.

16. AbuKole Gingerbread Aug 3, 2014

AbuKole, Aug 3, 2014 :
    Solid bit of deduction. I am, in fact, eight years old. I bet you're stellar at poker, too, being so good at reading people and all.

17. dragon.eternal Cupcake Feb 17, 2015

dragon.eternal, Feb 17, 2015 :
    Good News! I have managed to install and test all the functions of whatsapp successfully on I9100 Cyanogenmod 11m8 running ART runtime.

Steps:
    1) Choosing Art runtime in the development options.
    2) reboot should follows and optimizing apps.
    3) install whatsapp from google playstore
    Now this is the tricky part. No matter how many times you try to install whatsapp with Art runtime enabled, It will never successfully install and comes up with an error notification.
    The Solution: when whatsapp is downloaded and proceeding into the installation process, wait for least estimated of 45-90 seconds and then pressing the power button, reboot the device. Upon booting up you will see 1 app is currently optimizing and thereafter Wala~ you get your fully functional whatsapp on your device running.
    (The idea of allowing 45-90 seconds is to allow the estimated time for whatsapp to complete the installation. Pls note that for the above installation it takes that much longer to install than the usual installation of other apps. As long as you reboot before the error notification and sufficient time for the app to install estimated)

Try the above trick and let me know of what you think. I stumbled upon it by frustration with the installation and decided to force phone into reboot by holding the power button and reboot. LOL! [​IMG]

************I believe it works for other phone models as well**********

18. vickram79 Froyo Dec 8, 2015

vickram79, Dec 8, 2015 :
    anyone can help in restoring whatsapp messages ? it goes to 100% and then it says cant be restored. upgraded my OPO to CM 13 yesterday and regret doing it. What a waste of two days i have had trying to solve. Whatapp customer care doesnt care and dont bother replying since its a custom rom and rooted. any one any help ?