When and why did we become such tech elitists?

?

Are people going too far?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mlulic Honeycomb Jul 31, 2019

mlulic, Jul 31, 2019 :
    This is a star thread for CUBE. Check more excellent content here.
    [​IMG]

Throughout the years, we always strived to get our hands on a good piece of technology, and when we actually managed to do it, we were happy. I remember running around and bragging about my PSX, or my Nokia 3310, or my PS2, etc. PS1 was the champion in gaming at that time, almost 20 years ago, even though its graphic was just colored blocks and your memory card was 4-8 MB, with only a few save slots if you played a demanding game, but everyone LOVED IT. Nokia 3310 was a prime beast of a phone, green screen with black blocks, everyone LOVED IT, no one complained about anything, and people were happy to actually use it and have it. My point is, we had some technology available, and we appreciated every single part of it.

One thing is bugging me, and that is the tech progress past few years, and peoples appreciation of owning the tech itself.

Nowadays, whenever a new piece of technology comes out, mostly smartphones or tablets, we don't celebrate the quality of the device, but we rather strive to prove why is it bad. I understand this from a financial point of view; if a phone costs over 1,000 USD you should expect a top notch device which should not be replaced in at least 2-3 years, instead of being obsolete after 6 months due to new model from the same manufacturer. Is it really worth that much money? Twice per year?

Here is my problem:
    Company X releases a phone model Y. That phone nas 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB internal storage which is expandable up to 2 TB with a correct SD card. Display is 5.6', it has wireless charging, but it does not have fast charge. It has a headphone jack, and no notch, since the selfie camera is integrated below the screen. Rear camera is 60MP, selfie camera is 20 MP. Pretty good phone specs, right?

Now, here are most of the reviews coming in next few days after device release:
    8 GB is OK, but why not go for 12 GB? 256 GB internal is OK, but why not 2 TB immediately? 2 TB expandable is OK, but why not go up to 10 TB expandable? Display is too small for 2019, it would be better to go 6' or 6.5' since it's the "new standard". It has wireless charging, but it does NOT HAVE wireless FAST CHARGE. It generally does not have fast charge, that should not happen. It's 2019, headphone jacks are long gone, and that space should been used for battery. Why is the camera under the screen, it would be cooler to add a mechanical camera like "insert other brand here", this way it's just boring. Rear camera is 60 MP, but they should have put 80 MP with tri-lens setup of 120 / 80 / 120 MP. Selfie camera is also good, but I think 60 MP would be better.

When did we become such technology snobs, especially today when we have so much tech available? Are those minor differences really that big, and who are those people who are telling us why we should not like the device? It seems we have stopped appreciating the rapid growth in technology advancement; and instead of celebrating it, we are dissecting it and trying to find everything that is wrong with it or undermine its importance and value. It's almost like the vast majority of reviewers are becoming bigger and bigger megalomaniacs (respect to those who remain in our normal sphere of thought).

Did we become so lazy so we can't do the "best smartphone for me" digging ourselves, but rather rely on a random brand fanboy to tell us that only brand XX or brand YY is worth having, but you need to pay over 1000 USD for it? Why is it so important to buy a phone as a status symbol?

I believe I belong to the minority who still uses and chooses phones based on their daily needs, which do not include selfies, pubg, and I wonder; when did it come to this? Am I a fossil because I still use my 10 year old laptop on a daily basis, and do not change my mobile phone on every new model relese? Am I less worthy for not having a fruit branded device in my home?

Are we really becoming such snobs over this? Where will this take us in next 5 years?

Edit by author: Title edited to more proper term, not to be mistaken for insulting.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 2:40 AM

2. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jul 31, 2019

David Y., Jul 31, 2019 :
    Good shout.

Negative news is always easier to get attentions and spread out, media is the expert on this. However, we can also see some appreciations not only on our forum but also on other platforms. They shine like true gold.

There are overwhelming information and noises in the Internet era, people can easily get lost and become anxious, thus becoming such snobs.

That's why we introduced Zen Mode. Keep calm, stay positive and spread love.

This is not an ad... well maybe it is, but it was not my intention :)

3. mlulic Honeycomb Jul 31, 2019

mlulic, Jul 31, 2019 :
    That has some sense, since negative news travel faster, but now when you mention Zen Mode, that's one of my concerns as well!

Where did the common sense to leave the phone on mute, or turn off the mobile phone, or just ignore the phone for a certain amount of time go? Did we really become that addicted to a square piece of technology that we need THAT actual device to dictate our free time?

Is SkyNet close? :D

4. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jul 31, 2019

David Y., Jul 31, 2019 :
    Ha! We received this feedback at our Open Ears Forum in San Francisco, 1 year before we officially introduced Zen Mode. Ofc, users don't actually need to use the Zen Mode to get them into zen mode, but it can serve as a sweet reminder.

UnkNowN752, Xtermy and luxuskamel like this.
  5. mlulic Honeycomb Jul 31, 2019

mlulic, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I absolutely agree with that.
    Thing is, you see how many people "NEED ZEN MODE for 6T". :D
    I wish it releases incense in Zen Mode tho. :D

UnkNowN752, Xtermy, Tankouban and 2 others like this.
  6. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jul 31, 2019 :
    When did we become such snobs about other people?

Let them do what they want / like to do, it shouldn't impact you any.

7. Ledeni24 Gingerbread Jul 31, 2019

Ledeni24, Jul 31, 2019 :
    consumer society

In every aspect of modern life...it seems like...we all think we need 20 and in fact we need 4...

IMHO

Xtermy and Impersonal like this.
  8. luxuskamel Lollipop Jul 31, 2019

Xtermy, sommersy, buntycubal and 3 others like this.
  9. mlulic Honeycomb Jul 31, 2019

mlulic, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I don't believe you have grasped my point here. I am not being a snob about other people nor was that my point, I am simply stating a point that people are never happy, and even if there is a device which comes out from a brand XY, they will undermine it simply because of jealousy because it was not relesed from their brand, or because they feel the phone should have holographic display. What does make those reviewers so credible? The fact they use the phone for 1 / 2 weeks, and give an opinion based on that? Even worse, use the phone for 1-2 days and then give an opinion about that? I don't find that credible at all.

It does not impact me at all. I have a lot of experience in mobile industry and IT industry in general; so all of those reviews do not have any affect on me anyway. I never had an urge to upgrade any phone until it was at least 2-3 years old, since everything works perfectly. Past few years app providers actually force you to upgrade, because they don't really optimize applications for devices which are older than 1 year sadly, and that's a crap move. Today, it seems people upgrade phones so we can load games faster and play more demanding games. Are we really buying phones to be our gaming devices? And then we whine about battery life? Seriously? Why should pubg be relevant to phone purchase?
    Note here my annoyance with pubg, which is the 50% support topics on this web. :D

My question was actually to see when will people be happy with a new release and say: "This is a great piece of technology. Nothing wrong with it, it's a really great piece of tech for a daily driver."

You don't see people talking like this about cars. Tesla for example. It's a great car, top piece of tech, but I wish it had Ozzy Osbourne naration in GPS, so I wouldn't recommend buying it.

If you somehow felt I was looking down on, or being a snob about any of those aforementioned people, I must say that was not my attention at all. My post was simply to see if anyone else is feeling the same way; because it seems we are never happy with anything. It seems we always to try to find flaws in everything and try to undermine the hard work people put into a device, just so we can be happy we found a flaw.

I am sorry you found youself called out or offended in any way.

10. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

We were not offended, but don't pretend for a second that you don't think you're better than those people you're looking down your nose at.

theshinybeast likes this.
  11. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

theshinybeast, Jul 31, 2019 :
    Hey, he's got a cap and a beard, go easy.

loucas971 and toastytoast1234 like this.
  12. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

I certainly hope so, by the looks of it we need a purge of the planet.

13. mlulic Honeycomb Jul 31, 2019

mlulic, Jul 31, 2019 :
    I don't think you have read and understood me thoroughly, since you think I am looking down on people.

You probably percieve me writing this from a cocky stance, hating on everyone, and I can't change your opinion. You probably assume you are correct, but you are far from the truth, and that is not my intention at all. I am watching tons of those people on almost a daily basis, and you never find me talking anything bad about them.

There was no target here, no specific person who was refered to; the whole post and point was about simply asking for more and more and more and more, when more is not actually needed in most cases.

I am looking at this from a technical side, and I believe that I have enough experience and knowledge to say that most of todays phones are more than enough to be a decent daily driver for at least 1-2 years. What is the thing that is making us wanting more? Do we need to be better than the other person?

Imagine you get your perfect imagined phone. Would you say "it's just like I wanted", or would it be "hm, maybe 2 GB RAM more." or "Could have asked for a bigger battery"?

Whole topic is about why are we never 100% happy with a new product? Why is a minor flaw a reason to say "I wouldn't buy it?" Why is waterproof rating (or its non existance) a reason to buy or not to buy a phone? Since when do we need a phone in the water? There is tons of underwater cameras which record 4k videos without any issues, why would one use a phone underwater?

Maybe I am just too old fashioned and "conservative" about this, but it somehow feels wrong to see so many new devices get slapped for no big reason.

14. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

I read what you said, and I know you're looking down on people.

Medice, cura te ipsum.

Except in this thread.

I use my OPO on a daily basis.

You're not as special as you seem to think you are.

15. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

16. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jul 31, 2019

He has one, it's called a OnePlus One. Just needs an upgraded soc, ram and camera. Perfect.
    Wonderful feel in the hand and hey! Beautiful plumage, eh @toastytoast1234 ?

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  17. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 1, 2019

mlulic, Aug 1, 2019 :
    I see you two have absolutely no constructive comments except to trash and troll, so why bother?

18. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Aug 1, 2019

toastytoast1234, Aug 1, 2019 :
    I just agreed with you that there's no need to replace a phone which works just fine, and which meets your requirements.

Did I not agree hard enough?

Android450 likes this.
  19. Impersonal Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2019

Praty_28, Bouncer71 and mlulic like this.
  20. Impersonal Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 2, 2019

Impersonal, Aug 2, 2019 :
    My personal opinion is that in 2019 you can't really judge a person by it's smartphone, I've read a article that had exactly the opposite ideea of yours, actual people (not fanboys and girls) tend to use a device for a longer a period of time, expecialy due to incremental progress in tech, devices that are 2 even 3 years old, are quite capable of handling most of the stuff we throw at them, expecialy if they are constantly upgraded to latest Android version (you know like OnePlus devices, or LineageOs supported devices) also users are more tech savvy today, than 10y ago, and devices beeing more expensive people actually do a lil bit of research, before buying something, that being said I also think that 5G, it really is the next big step in tech, just top of the mind perfect example, Google's Stadia, soon you won't be needing a powerful PC or latest console, to run the latest games, just a controller...

Ps : @mlulic I liked your piece, well written, passionate, honnest, raw, even little bit condescending ( ;) @toastytoast1234 ) and even if I don't necessarily agree with it, I respect the work you put into it, because I think diferent points of view are a asset to any Community

shapz and mlulic like this.