When and why did we become such tech elitists?

?

Are people going too far?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 2, 2019

mlulic, Aug 2, 2019 :
    Cheers @Impersonal , I appreciate the input, and I can try to start to understand it from another perspective.
    All that was needed is to explain certain things from another point of view; but it's often just trolling or rude comments which do not go into the depth of the topic. That doesn't help to get a healthy discussion.

Once again, appreciate the input on this, and I must say that I do agree with the points you have stated. I am aware people use the devices for a longer period of time; and I was directed specifically to the "give me more" way of behavior, which is not really mandatory in most cases.

Hope we get some more constructive posts here as well. :)

Impersonal likes this.
  2. LightningXIII Lollipop Community Expert Aug 3, 2019

3. jaygatsby9909 Honeycomb Aug 5, 2019

jaygatsby9909, Aug 5, 2019 :
    I totally agree with your statement that we should get a phone that suits our needs. But sometimes you just got to get what you want. My last 2 phones I have not owned for more than a year. I had the OnePlus 3T and in less than 1 year I switched to the Essential (big mistake...that phone was awful) and and 10 months later I switched to the Red OnePlus 6. I now have had this phone for over 1 year and it largely meets my needs but lacks a few things that I really do want and will use A LOT. What phone am I getting next? One might think that it would be the OnePlus 7T Pro (or whatever they name it) but no. I am switching to the Pixel 4XL. Why? Camera first and foremost. I am getting ready to go to Europe soon and I would like a really great point and shoot camera and lets face it...you can't beat Pixel here. Also important to me is timely updates that, largely, work. I want them day 1. Also, aside from 1 little hiccup, their beta updates are usable as a daily driver form around update 2. OnePlus is partnered with them and can't release a stable beta in 3 tries which is, in my humble opinion, unacceptable. It's frankly lazy coding and a lack or caring for their one year old device. Google is still pushing updates to their 3 year old Pixel phones. Also project Soli, and, probably, better (than OnePlus 7 Pro) high res telephoto lens, newer, faster Google Assistant, Google Assistant Call screening, etc etc. Will it cost $1000? Probably? Will I use every feature that phone has? Yes. But do I NEED it...no. Does that make me a tech snob? Maybe. But if you use the features of the phone and it provides a better used experience for a particular person then I don't think so. I don't use a 10 year old laptop, I use a very new Chromebook and installed Chrome OS on my old laptop. I have a Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect. I have 4 Chromecasts, 3 Google Home Minis and one Google Nest Hub. My cable provider is YouTube TV. Frankly, at this point, I feel like a Pixel might be the only viable option .

G_plusone likes this.
  4. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 5, 2019

mlulic, Aug 5, 2019 :
    All valid points, and imho there is nothing here that makes you a tech snob if you don't use all of the features. See, you are perfectly happy with the devices usage and performance. There was no complaining on how Pixel 4 XL does not have 16 GB ram, 120MP camera etc; that's just what I was trying to put out!

I might be looking at this from another perspective, because I'm used to see peope around me upgrading to new model when it comes out, without reading any specs on it, they just buy it because it's new and it's out. Sadly, that's a majority nowdays. Imo it's not mandatory to pursue a new phone model directly when it comes out, unless we are talking status symbol. Many things CAN change on a period of 6 months, but not that drastic. 1-2 years yes, bigger differences are here; but still I believe the functionality is not that worse.

Again, talking from my perspective, where I see people spending huge amounts of cash, so they can post their new phone on instagram asap; and that phone is being used for - facebook, instagram, viber, whatsapp, candy crush. But hey... At least it has new fancy cases. :D

G_plusone likes this.
  5. rameshshreyas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2019

rameshshreyas, Aug 6, 2019 :
    I think it is a simple case of FOMO. Smartphones are getting better and better every single day, and you have a new smartphone almost every month. The market is becoming crowded right now, and as much as it is beneficial to customers because hey, options to choose! Companies now tend to other marketing strategies to bring in sales. Because that's the basic objective of any business which is to increase sales, and generate revenue and profit. Nothing wrong in it. The commitment to older generation phones have reduced significantly over the years because the competition is so fierce that they need to stay relevant in the fast paced times and have to bring in new models to the market, and hence they focus on new model releases over software updates of older phones (2015, remember?) And the smartphone industry is getting saturated in terms of design and technology (debatable I guess). So they tend to do slight changes here and there to distinguish among the crowd. That is where it hurts the most. See, I like fast charging, but I like the convenience of wireless charging. It is hard to get both in one right now. One has a great camera whereas one has a great display. One has the best screen size but falters in battery life and performance. That is where customers (like me) are confused. They are in a dilemma. They are unsure of what to choose. They have an ideal smartphone in mind but none of the options tick all the boxes. They try to adjust the ballpark and settle in one option, but the grass is greener on the other side and that feeling will continue to nag them. And influencers like the YouTubers and reviewers though try to make an unbiased case of the product, makes it even harder to choose.

6. G_plusone Marshmallow Aug 8, 2019

G_plusone, Aug 8, 2019 :
    Skynet is already up and running.
    Judgment Day is Nearing :D

Impersonal and Bouncer71 like this.
  7. Bouncer71 Lollipop Aug 8, 2019

Bouncer71, Aug 8, 2019 :
    In the meantime I'm repairing my 23 Years old stove with used spare parts shot on eBay surfing with a OP7Pro...

8. YRJ Lollipop Aug 9, 2019

YRJ, Aug 9, 2019 :
    There are soooo many layers in one single post :p

G_plusone and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 9, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  10. malidan Marshmallow Aug 12, 2019

malidan, Aug 12, 2019 :
    A gimmick then.:tearsofjoy:

G_plusone likes this.
  11. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Aug 13, 2019

David Y., Aug 13, 2019 :
    Ha, I am glad I made you laugh.

Good morning to you, malidan.

G_plusone likes this.
  12. malidan Marshmallow Aug 13, 2019

malidan, Aug 13, 2019 :
    Good morning to you too sir.:)

Ruby G. and David Y. like this.
  13. Tankouban Donut Aug 16, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Tankouban, Aug 16, 2019 at 5:20 PM :
    Consumer programming and capitalism.
    Phones and tech today, and even yesterday, are great and can and will last a long time, but we've been programmed to feel we NEED the latest and greatest or we're behind and lacking. I think it really started with the iPhone when it started releasing yearly. It was branded and marketed as a "luxury" item, and who doesn't want to be luxurious?
    Who doesn't want to give off the luxurious look saying "Hey, I can afford a $1200USD piece of technology"
    That's what companies want and love. They wouldn't make any money if every one is comfortable using a 3 year old device.
    It's why you're able to finance a phone from service providers now. Most people DONT have 1200 laying around, or couldn't rationalize spending that much in one trip to a store on one thing, and the companies realize that so they tell you "Hey, you can just pay in 24 small monthly payments of $XX.XX"
    that ropes more people in than being forced to pay it all upfront.
    and with new models coming out every 6minths to a year, guess what you can THEN do before that 24 months is halfway up? Renew for ANOTHER 24 months and get that upgrade. It's a never ending cycle for people chasing that high.

When it comes to specs, MOST people honestly don't even utilize the device to its fullest capabilities. Ive had, and I'm sure we all have had, our fair share of people saying "Well, this phone has 8gb of RAM and 256gb internal" but the most they do is sit on Facebook or Instagram all day.

G_plusone and mlulic like this.
  14. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM

mlulic, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM :
    Exactly.

Contractual phone purchases are the worst, because in the end you pay much more than you would pay just by buying it. The fact that one does that to prove a status symbol is just another thing related not to necessity for performance, but for ego. That's another thing, and I have no problems with that, as long as one can admit that. "I bought this new one, because I want to have the newest, and it makes me happy!" Fair enough, can't and won't argue with that. I get annoyed when one tries to justify why you need it when you, and I quote, "sit on Facebook and Instagram all day". This is where Apple, Samsung and other "big" brands get most of the money; since it's the only way it can be purchased by a larger amount of people for a "cheaper" price per month. In the end, when you sum it up after 24 months, it's just bad math.

Now, this new Samsung release got me amazed on what they sell to us. Basically, now you can be a wizard. Draw in the air with your pen, and it will show on the phone. I simply can't imagine any scenario where this will be used by a customer; and where customer will say "OK, let me airdraw now."
    Another thing, they have implemented OCR for handwriting. This is how I look at it: Write with your pen, select the text, OCR the text, and transform into textual input. So how is this faster than actual typing the message? Not to mention incorrect OCR translations which will occur? And all of this, of course, costs money.

There is absolutely no market which actully asks for these things, and where this is viable and usable on a daily basis; but yet it's presented as something you need or you will use?

Next release will be Pixel 4 with Soli tech inside; which is cool. Soli has a lot of possibilities for development ahead; but are we going to wave our hands in public just to skip songs, lower / increase the volume, go back / forward on our web browser? I'm not saying these will be the only functions, but it's presented like that in the ad. Future development will bring other things, so let's wait for that.

In theory, yes, it can be functional, it can and will be used on a daily basis at some point in some other devices probably; but in my personal opinion, this is a bit too much. :D

I still prefer to have my fingers on the phone to do all the work. As a matter of fact, it's not just me; I have NEVER seen anyone use any gesture controls or anything that was "revolutionary" and implemented into a new phone. Actually, I can't say I have even seen one person in last 2 years who even uses face unlock. It's just the urge to HAVE IT. I have it, you don't. :D

Another thing to mention is phone upgrade because old one is too slow.
    You take a look at that "old" phone, it has 920 apps for image filters, selfie hdr collages, 87323 pictures, 792 videos, 420 games, and maybe 40 MB of free space. It's slow? New phone is faster? Due to having 95% free storage space? I wonder why... :D

Ruby G. and Tankouban like this.
  15. dubbaYous Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM

dubbaYous, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM :
    The problem is there is always something new and improved shoved in our faces. Then just a few months later, repeat, in a continous fashion. We are not suppose to be content with the here and now. Companies would not be satisfied with us having the same phone for years, you need a new one in about 6 months. We live in a throw away society. That is why there is such a high volume of products produced, in hopes you will upgrade, automobiles for example.

Technology isn't even fully utilized before something new is offered, for example 4k technology. How much content is there available, now think about 8k is being flaunted about.

Unfortunately this isn't going to change, in fact I assume it will get even worse.

16. Tankouban Donut Aug 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Tankouban, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM :
    Man! I am the ONLY person I know who even uses gestures and even then I only use them for the camera and flashlight.

My GF has an iPhone and though it's not the newest one, she still doesn't even use it for anything other than social media, texting and Snapchat. Every time we go grocery shopping she's writing out a list by hand a few days before, loses the list in her purse, and every week I say "You know you have several note apps, right?"

I have older people in my family with smartphones who still use physical maps. I didn't even know they still printed those lmao. I run into people in the Downtown areas where I live and they'll be holding an iPhone XS and asking me how do they get to some place 10 minutes away.

I know to some extent things are habit and nostalgia and preference, but at some point you'd think people realize if they're spending several hundreds of dollars on a phone,not including the cost of service, they'd at least use it as a gateway to the entirety of human knowledge lol.

G_plusone likes this.
  17. Tankouban Donut Aug 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM

Tankouban, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM :
    Fortunately I don't think 8k will be viable for years to come. We've barely fully adopted 4k and it's still a /premium/ feature.

But you're right, it will get worse. I wonder how though

dubbaYous likes this.
  18. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM

mlulic, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM :
    I use gestures for camera, audio, flashlight etc, but it's gestures you swipe on the screen, not those kung fu arm waving things in the air.

This happens with A LOT of people. 20ish year olds and don't know the walk option on google maps.

I would guess people don't even reed user manuals these days. They are there for a purpose. :D
    Just like EULA when installing something. Who reads those, right?

19. mlulic Honeycomb Aug 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM

mlulic, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM :
    So true. I had more issues with my Ford Focus from 2009. than with my Opel Kadett C from 1977.
    The first one has digital diagnostics and tons of electronics which you are unable to fix yourself and you are forced to go to a mechanic. The other one you can fix if you have pliers and 1m of wire.

dubbaYous likes this.
  20. FlixbusLennart The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM

FlixbusLennart, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM :
    I just want to say one thing:

If I pay for a device, I want it to feel good. Feel good means so many things.
    But one thing stands out for me:
    I look at my OnePlus 7 Pro and think "Damn, what an absolutely gorgeous device". That happens to me weeks and even months after buying it.

There's a very little number of devices where that happens. iPhone X, I was not impressed. The 1.500€ shiny 360° touch wizardry notebook-convertible thing that my employer gave me - not impressed at all.

When I got my iPad Pro (the one with the 120Hz screen), I first felt that "Wow, this is great, even after a year" moment.
    From that point on, I became a tech snob. I do now measure devices by how impressed I am. Specs, I don't care. If a phone works with 4GB RAM, that's fine. Whether my PC runs AMD or Intel or whatever? I don't care, as long as it suits my needs.
    Still, there's one thing that prevails, and that's the WOW thing. Right now, I do not own any device where there's no WOW. And I see that I'm starting to get disgusted by "lame" devices. A piece of tech that doesn't impress me is not a piece of tech that should exist. Sounds super arrogant, but don't forget the title of this thread ;D

As for the "Why" question.
    My guess is that we became tech snobs when tech reached its plateau, when most devices became more or less the same. When every piece of glass and aluminum works roughly the same way, there needs to be more. The needs to be a WOW factor, an emotional bond, any type of additional value. There's not a lot that separates a 1.500€ iPhone XS from a 300€ Xiaomi/Redmi/Poco/whatever their weird branding brings us next and the OnePlus 7 Pro. At this point, I'd be fine with using either of them, but with only one of them, it would be exciting for me to use it. That type of value, that excitement, is what makes us snobs.

G_plusone, mlulic and Tankouban like this.