When I try to system update phone reboots into TWRP recovery

1. Razelis
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

Razelis , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Hi, I'm veryyyy new to this I have no idea about all the short words, OTA, flashing etc etc... So please be patient about me ><

I got this phone with twrp recovery but I read it comes with cyanogen. It says I have system update but whenever I click update it says reboots and go into twrp recovery... and nothing happens I just reboot from there and the update is not installed (as in, it still says I have an update ready)
    Btw, I tried it with CM recovery update checked AND unchecked in dev options. Same result.

I don't care for root, i just want to update my phone. I don't care what recovery i have etc etc, im a really simple user...

I figured it might be twrp recovery that is blocking me from updating, so I read i can uninstall it using the twrp app but when i installed the app it says my phone is unrooted and that I can't use it.

Can anybody got a tip for me how I can make updating through the phone? I dont care what recovery i end up with, or if the phone is rooted or not. I just don't want to lose all the data i have on the phone, so i prefere a way that will not wipe everything... (btw I already tried factory reset from the options and it didnt fix this and I just got most of my data back after weeks... So i dont want to delete it again if possible).

Thanks in advance for reading this and really sorry for being a newbie!

2. EpicSwirly
    Jun 29, 2015

EpicSwirly , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Well since you have TWRP you'll probably have to dirty flash the whole ROM. Meaning you'd have to download the whole flashable zip for the latest update. Before that, what build version are you on and what update?

3. pyrosfx
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2015

pyrosfx , Jun 29, 2015 :
    I know about as much as you. I use Wugfresh Bacon to deal with things like root, roms etc. I suggest you download the latest version and try using that. It talked me through everything. http://www.wugfresh.com/brt/

addam likes this.
  4. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2015

5. Razelis
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

Razelis , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Hi. thanks for your help.

by "Build version" you mean "build number"? if so then Build number is LRX22G
    And if by "Update" you mean "Cyanogen OS version" then it is 12.0-YNG1TAS17L

I'd be very thankful if you have a link for a guide for dummies because i have no idea what dirty flashing is...
    Will that process wipe all my data?

Thanks again

6. sbtkd85
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2015

sbtkd85 , Jun 29, 2015 :
    When you click update in Cyanogen does it download a file? If it downloads a file that is ~270MB then you already have the zip. When you click Update Now and it reboots you into TWRP, click on Install and you should see the update as a zip file. You can click on it to select it then install it. When you are done, be sure to click the button to Wipe Cache, then reboot your system.

7. Razelis
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

8. Bloodpuke
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2015

Bloodpuke , Jun 29, 2015 :
    Your update is already downloaded... No need to redownload the while thing. You just have to tell twrp where the file is. The file downloads to the following directory:
    sdcard/Android/data/com.cyngn.fota
    Do in twrp click install then find the update in the directory above and swipe to install. Then just clear dalvk and catch( it should automatically give you this option after the install completed) and then reboot

9. biodigit
    Froyo Jun 29, 2015

10. vijeshv1
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2015

11. EpicSwirly
    Jun 29, 2015

EpicSwirly , Jun 29, 2015 :
    No, dirty flashing will not wipe your data. But it's still suggested you backup.

Basically what you have to do is download the whole ROM("cm-12.0-YNG1TAS2I3-bacon-signed.zip") And put it somewhere on your phone where you can easily access it.

And then boot into TWRP

Then hit install, look for where you put the ROM, and then slide to flash.

Optionally you can clear the Cache and the Dalvik Cache (They'll be an option after flashing)

You can do that or since you have TWRP you can boot into it then hit backup, and slide to backup.

12. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2015

RogueS4 , Jun 29, 2015 :
    No, In twrp there's a button that says backup. It will backup your current rom that way in case something were to happen in the future your covered and can revert back

13. Razelis
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

Razelis , Jun 29, 2015 :
    I tried doing that on a file named cm-12.1-20150625-NIGHTLY-bacon.zip (i didnt find online a file with the name you typed) and do Swipe to Install it brings up a screen with a lot of files running and some lines says error in red and then when it ends it says Failed. do you want to know what those lines say in the log?

14. Razelis
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2015

Razelis , Jun 29, 2015 :
    First error is: E:Error executing updater binary in zip '@/cache/recovery/block.map'
    E: Error Installing zip file '@/cache/recovery/block.map'

Then after a few more lines with no errors, it brings another error in red:

E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/Download/cm-12.1-20150625-NIGHTLY-bacon.zip'