When you update to Nougat but forget to check Xposed is compatible...

1. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2017

janguv , Jan 7, 2017 :
    Feeling very stupid right now Xposed is pretty much central to how I do Android.

2. G_Alejo_HiGuera_MXNF
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2017

G_Alejo_HiGuera_MXNF , Jan 7, 2017 :
    I think there is a compatible version of xposed for Nougat, but I don't tested yet, because I haven't even needed to root my phone yet :)

janguv likes this.
  3. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2017

janguv , Jan 7, 2017 :
    interesting. I'll have a look. haven't seen anything yet, but hope you're right!

G_Alejo_HiGuera_MXNF likes this.
  4. sinha.sandy
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2017

5. rev01r
    Cupcake Jan 7, 2017

6. akp2016
    Eclair Jan 7, 2017

janguv likes this.
  7. Sehej Jain
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2017

8. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2017

janguv , Jan 7, 2017 :
    I'm using magisk and topjohnwu's version of phh's superuser. Have you got a working xposed as a magisk module?

9. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 7, 2017

janguv , Jan 7, 2017 :
    Lots of things. I use GravityBox for a range of good tweaks - e.g., changing the battery icon, having network activity in the status bar, double tap the status bar to sleep. I use it to edit things like vibration on fingerprint unlocks too.

Other modules let me: bypass the pin lock so that fingerprint lock is always sufficient; block ads and use swipe gestures in YouTube; get rid of the annoying overlay warning, when using LMT Launcher and similar apps; have the CPU temp in the status bar; and sort out various button remappings.

There's probably more I tweak, but these are the big things for me!

sinha.sandy likes this.
  10. sinha.sandy
    Gingerbread Jan 8, 2017

sinha.sandy , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Wow, nice things. Would you like to help us with rooting and installing xposed?!?

11. Dray451
    Froyo Jan 8, 2017

Dray451 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Amen brother! I knew going in that I'd be losing exposed and it's my only regret about upgrading.
    Right now I'm rockin stock and won't root till exposed is available. Livin the clean life....

janguv likes this.
  12. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2017

janguv , Jan 8, 2017 :
    There are plenty of guides for that! Rooting means first unlocking the bootloader, which means getting ADB/Fastboot drivers on your comp, first thing. Generally, the process is: 1) get the drivers, 2) boot to fastboot, then unlock bootloader (which will WIPE everything (so you have to make sure you're probably backed up), 3) install custom recovery (like TWRP), then from there you 4) flash a superuser binary to root.

Presuming you're not on a Nougat ROM, I would follow this great guide for steps (1)-(3). It's simple enough, and you won't get into trouble if you do everything very carefully. If it's your first time, though, just be super careful! It's a very detailed guide.

For step (4), I'd go the Magisk route in order to: (i) install Magisk, (ii) flash a Magisk-compatible superuser (giving you root), and then (iii) use Magisk to install an SDK23 variant of Xposed. Here's a great guide to do all that.

N.B. Back up, and follow the guides in order. I'm no tech wiz btw, so if it messes up, you'll be needing more knowledgable people than me!

13. janguv
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2017

janguv , Jan 8, 2017 :
    I would also add, a lot of good rooting guides also get you to read up on what it is you're doing -- the basics: unlocking a bootloader (what that even is!), what getting root means (administrative privileges). I think that's also highly worth your time, if you can. That way, when you're doing things, you'll get a working knowledge and understanding; it'll help you troubleshoot and adapt to new circumstances.

14. G_Lawrence_Gardiner_ELOi
    Cupcake Jan 14, 2017

G_Lawrence_Gardiner_ELOi , Jan 14, 2017 :
    Same. I went through a lot of grief getting my phone updated and rerooted without the dm-verity error. Never felt so dumb in my life.

15. teongseng
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2017

teongseng , Apr 3, 2017 :
    Sir, your misfortune has help plenty, I'm being one of them. If we ever meet, I'll buy you a drink. I rely heavily on Xposed too, thank goodness I did not upgrade to nougat. Thank you sir, hopefully the support will come sooner.

janguv likes this.
  16. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2017

janguv , Apr 6, 2017 :
    Haha glad to help! It doesn't look like there'll be a Nougat update soon. The developer (Rovo) is super busy, and had to rebuild it from the ground up I think. You can check this XDA thread for updates, but it's mostly people in the same boat as you just waiting: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/xposed-framework-android-n-t3336369/

Myself, I'm getting on okay without it. With a custom ROM (Experience), no bloat, systemless tweaks, Magisk, and root apps, I have a pretty good time on Nougat. Still would love Xposed, whenever it's back eventually.