Which API should i use for my PC ? ( windows 7 )

1. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 16, 2016

Alivethereality , Feb 16, 2016 :
    I bought a new rig and i have a AMD FX8320 processor.
    I've been researching and reading all about DirectX and how only windows 10 will have dx12, so i came across Vulkan.
    I've read a bit and from what i understand Vulkan and DirectX are different, so which one should i use, which one is recommended, which one is better ( with my processor ) considering i will stay with windows 7 ?
    Do i need to install it alongside DirectX or do i need to delete one of them ?

I still don't understand it as much so please clarify if possible

2. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Feb 16, 2016

Tokolozi , Feb 16, 2016 :
    It's tied to what you gpu use. DirectX is more widely used, Vulkan is from AMD and thus for now only works on AMD GPU's. But you can have both installed on the PC at once and the games will use what they need.

pbergonzi, IvanMuse and mwayner like this.
  3. arofloppter
    Donut Feb 16, 2016

arofloppter , Feb 16, 2016 :
    Just install the latest driver for your graphics card. You should use the highest ** api a game supports but unless it's DX12, vulcan/mantle are better.

4. amartens181
    KitKat Feb 16, 2016

pbergonzi likes this.
  5. MafiaTechTeam
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

MafiaTechTeam , Feb 17, 2016 :
    What gpu do you have because fx processors don't have on board gpi

Alivethereality likes this.
  6. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    You don't need to worry about anything. DirectX is pretty much part of Windows so it will already be "installed". Since you're on Windows 7 you'll be stuck on DX11 depending on your GPU. Vulkan will be part of the graphics drivers, again this depends on the GPU and if the manufacturer is willing to update the driver to support Vulkan. Both will never conflict with each other, it will depend on the game itself on what to use.

The CPU means nothing to graphics API support, even if you're using an old Intel Core 2 or AMD Phenom, the API support you get heavily relies on the GPU you have.

If you assembled your own PC and are using integrated graphics (which will be on the motherboard in the FX's case) then you need a slap :p.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

Alivethereality and Tokolozi like this.
  7. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

Alivethereality , Feb 17, 2016 :
    I got a Sapphire R9 380 Nitro, its from AMD aswell so Vulkan it is
    But how do i know if Vulkan is installed ? the only drivers and software i got is the AMD Catalyst Center

aenews and IvanMuse like this.
  8. IvanMuse
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 17, 2016

IvanMuse , Feb 17, 2016 :
    That's gpu driver

9. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    AMD 380 supports up to DX12 so you will already have up to DX11 support (limited by Win 7). Vulkan on the other hand, AMD has not released an update to their drivers yet, so there's no Vulkan support until they release the drivers.

In terms of graphics APIs your PC currently supports, is DX11, OpenGL 4.5 and Mantle. As mentioned before, Vulkan will be supported/installed in an AMD driver update, while DirectX 12... why didn't you pick Windows 10? You still have time to claim the free upgrade.

It sounds like you're using an old version of the AMD graphics drivers as well, never use the ones on the disk as they're usually out of date, you'll be wanting to grab them off the site directly: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64

10. ebadillo
    Honeycomb Feb 17, 2016

ebadillo , Feb 17, 2016 :
    it doesnt matter. Support for directX(version whatever) and Vulkan (mantle) come integrated with the GPU drivers and if the game is coded to support such instructions or not. OS support also matter, DirectX 12 only with Win10 and up. You can have both without any issues. Also, if you only have a CPU and not a proper GPU don't even bother trying, 10fps.

In example. you say you got an AMD card, that AMD card currently supports OpenGL DirectX11 and Mantle. Therefore, you can run lets say, Battlefield WITH directX or Mantle, you chose what api to use in your game menu. fact is, that particular game will reach up to 40% more efficiency using mantle on game + GPU's that already support it. Not every game supports Mantle tho. As not all games will suport vulkan when DirectX12 comes out. It all depends on the game developer.

11. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Feb 17, 2016

Tokolozi , Feb 17, 2016 :
    Yup, and after the recent updates in win 10 it's completely bearable for me (a hardcore win 7 lover)

12. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    Just an example, you can check the DirectX version by typing "dxdiag" under Win + R:
    [​IMG]

And the new Radeon software also shows all the APIs it supports, although it shows the driver version and not the API version:
    [​IMG]

13. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yeah i know how to check it and i know windows 10 has dx12, im just not ready for the upgrade
    im downloading the drivers and soft from the website, i never thought the CD would have outdated drivers, its not that old of a GPU
    then should i toss out the catalyst center ?

14. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    Yes, AMD releases new drivers nearly monthly and the 380 was released nearly a year ago.

Why aren't you ready for 10? You don't need to fully updated 7 to install 10. Even the latest 10 ISO accepts 7 product keys.

Tokolozi likes this.
  15. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

when then this AMD catalyst center won't download the latest updates ?

i don't know, i just keep reading those news that new windows 10 updates are ruining things, as in annoying fails not performance related.
    and i installed windows 10 to a friend, took a while to even find the control panel, things are different, im just used to windows 7, knowing where things are and how to acess them

16. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    AMD CCC did have a self update checker but it was pretty pants. AMD did a reshuffle and now has a dedicated team working on both hardware and software of the GPUs (before it was merged with everything else as part of AMD's APU vision). So the old and slow CCC was scrapped, and replaced with a much leaner and faster Radeon Settings. I've found this to work a lot better compared to CCC.

I've been running Windows 10 since launch and I have had no issues with it. I was a hardcore 7 lover and did try 8/8.1 but was not happy with them. 10, once you tweak things around, can be actually more handy to use. For example, you can find Control Panel by right clicking the Windows start icon ;). I pinned it to the Start Menu as well just to give it that "7" feel. You can also use Cortana/Search to find something you want, I've been pretty much using that now to access the more advanced settings quickly.

17. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

i've experienced the hell of 8.1 when i installed it on my laptop
    youtube would crash almost every 10 seconds, games would be laggy as crap and everything was soo bad that i am now afraid to ever leave my 7 safe zone

18. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Feb 17, 2016

yahiroz , Feb 17, 2016 :
    A little note, an upgrade where you keep your files and apps can cause a mess (even BSODs), due to possible settings from the previous version of Windows conflicting with the newer version. Doing a clean install does wonders however, and worth doing if you don't mind backing everything up.

Also just noticed AMD has released a beta driver for Vulkan: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Vulkan-Beta.aspx

Bare in mind it is a beta so it may crash every now and then. Not like there's any games that uses Vulkan at the moment (apart from a beta patch for Talos Principle), I'll be waiting for the next stable driver.

19. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 17, 2016

Dunnow , Feb 17, 2016 :
    Altho I had issues after updates, and a nightmare with a friend computer that did not want to behave with 8.1, for me, 8.1 is the best OS I've ever had. Win10 when I jump to it will provably beat it, but i just hate the ugly as **** black bar that they added. It's curious how can 2 people have such different experiences with the same SW, granted tho, no computer is equal to another.

20. dsmonteiro
    OnePlus Community Team Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

dsmonteiro , Feb 17, 2016 :
    What black bars?

Happened the same with me. I had zero issues with Vista, people raged about it. Same thing with Windows 8.1. But Windows 10 feels like Windows 8 should be all along. Well, not 100%, they still mix Windows XP styled menus (like Control Panel) with Window 8 like menus (like the new settings). Other than that, I don't have any complaints about it.

pbergonzi likes this.