Which camera app are the best? Let the data & Image quality talk!

?

Which camera app you think is the best?

1. CM Camera

40.6%
  2. Google Stock Camera

22.6%
  3. Camera FV-5

26.4%
  4. Open Camera

5.7%
  5. Camera 360

4.7%
  1. just4me
    Froyo Nov 18, 2014

just4me , Nov 18, 2014 :
    I am mobile photography fans. One of the reason I getting the OPO is the 13.0MP camera and RAW format. But after playing the phone in hand for while most of us know the camera on CM11s ROM is not that amazing if we just using auto mode to capture snapshot! Sometime even we on great lighting condition the photo still just look okay.

The reason why it does that because the CM camera app is design to lower down the image quality(even you set it up to 100% quality). I really don't understand why CM team does that 13.0mp photo in jpg format <2mb size? We got 64GB space why we need to worry run out of space to lower down our image quality? After I notice that I even try to work some old trick with android OS the mediaprofiles.xml if some one been android for while and love to take photo should know what this is. But the magic trick not help alot the image quality still not good enough. After I install the Color OS I know there nothing to do with the mediaprofiles.xml is the app issue. I been try to install the color os camera app to CM but look like not possible.

Last hope I download lot of the camera apps on play store to testing it one by one. I just picked 5 camera apps that in my personal view point are the best and worst for our OPO CM rom. All the example image are taking max resolution, same light condition, auto iso, auto focus ,white balance etc. And they are NOT been process by any photo editor.

1. Google Stock Camera (Free)
    2. Camera FV-5 (Paid)
    3. CM Rom Camera (Free)
    4. Open Camera (Free)
    5. Camera 360 (Free)

Size does matter (Bigger is better) I will show you guys the size of the images we got from different camera app. As we can see the Open Camera not the largest dimensions, but the file size is most large which mean the image got more information than other 4 apps image. The Camera 360 and CM Camera are getting most smaller size which like I mentioned less than 2mb. Camera FV-5 is stay in the 3rd which just soso.
    CameraDetail3.JPG

Let's look for zoom in image for detail capture comparison. You can see the camera app name on top of each images. As we can see the Open Camera and the Google Camera app both win for sure no question about it. The CM camera & Camera 360 app disappointed us again. Camera FV-5 look like stay in the middle.
    CameraDetail.JPG

Here come to final the whole image quality.
    CameraDetail2.JPG

Open Camera: Good quality image more ratio option than CM camera. The user interface is only down side (not really user friendly but just look like the old CM rom camera app) But it take good picture I don't mind to spend little bit time to play with it.

Google Stock Camera: Good for speed and quality, If you don't want to spend too much time to play with the setting this is your best pick.

Camera 360: I will keep it for lomo photography and some daily photo, you can't ignore this app with that rich filter features. But for real & need high quality photo? Think twice before you open it.

Camera FV-5: I will still using it because I already paid :( but this app got more setting to control it will make you feel like you shooting the photo with your DSLR

CM Camera: Even the image is not that great I will still keeping it for video. It really does awesome job on video special 4K quality. I really hope CM team will improve the image quality for this app to make it more awesome.

Please let me know if you got better app for taking photo with OPO I love to try it

mdinesh1987, dcuttler, azp3 and 13 others like this.
  2. dreniacdre
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

dreniacdre , Dec 8, 2014 :
    This post deserves more attention!

I am stuck on Open Camera at the time.
    Getting decent pictures, without constantly changing settings.

Guess if you more into photography, fv-5 is the best to go for. But I am failing the knowledge and the patient to change settings for each picture. I'll bet with some setting changes, it would better than the pictures posted here.

3. Gamm86
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

Gamm86 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    CameraNext from CM11S is a pretty decent app aswell or were you refering to this one when you were talking about the CM11 camera?

They are not the same you see...

4. strategist99
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

strategist99 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    holy moly.

why does even the picture we take need a compression at all in the first place, I have failed to understand this till date.

pardon me for being a non techy noob...

regards

5. FRANNAVARRO
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2014

6. aman360elite
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2014

7. dw3bb10
    Donut Dec 8, 2014

armmani2001 likes this.
  8. vince31
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

vince31 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    "Let's look for zoom in image for detail capture comparison. You can see the camera app name on top of each images. As we can see the Open Camera and the Google Camera app both win for sure no question about it. The CM camera & Camera 360 app disappointed us again. Camera FV-5 look like stay in the middle"
    Sorry, but look at WALLE's eyes (his right hand and left tyre track too) in the full photos, clearly the FV5 is clearer. I think you are just comparing autofocus and zoom and of course they are all different.

9. jokicha
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

jokicha , Dec 8, 2014 :
    google camera is overall best for photos
    it performs great in low light compared to cm camera
    simple interface but loaded with photo editing capability

the only downside is that it does not support 4k video recording. only 1080p atm

10. ianseer
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

ianseer , Dec 8, 2014 :
    still i think the google one are best... camera FV-5 got more sharp but a bit loose on the color.. great post btw!

11. rams99899

12. saju n a
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2014

13. sarin.j
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

sarin.j , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I use FV-5 and got very good results. Are there any other tool that works better?

14. Rommstein

Rommstein , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Having tried a plethora of options, I have narrowed it down to 3.
    1. Camera FV-5
    2. Camera Zoom Fx
    3. A better camera
    They all perform great in daylight. Still fighting with getting it right in low light.

armmani2001 and rylegood like this.
  15. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

Serbian Overlord , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I use stock...meh

16. Prey521

Prey521 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I never did like the stock camera app....way too slow and subpar image quality. Google Camera was always better, but testing out FV-5 and it is nice! Never used it before, will make this my default for now to see how it is long term, thanks!

17. Tricksodave
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2014

Tricksodave , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I'm also using this camera, but unfortunately it can't access the front camera.

dteston85 likes this.
  18. dteston85
    Eclair Dec 8, 2014

dteston85 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I've got to go with either the Google camera or FV-5. The stock camera takes too long to actually take the picture, resulting in a lot of "blurry" shots

19. dteston85
    Eclair Dec 8, 2014

dteston85 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    That's the only thing keeping me from using FV-5 exclusively

Tricksodave likes this.
  20. Linanc7
    Lollipop Dec 8, 2014

Linanc7 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I have a delayed shutter speed on the stock camera and same on Google camera. The one that seems to be be the fastest is Camera 360. Is this a settings thing?