Which day do you look forward to the most?

1. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club Jan 10, 2022

dnagpaldg , Jan 10, 2022 :
    [​IMG]Happy New Year folks!
    Sometimes it feels as if all of December goes into holiday-planning, buying Christmas gifts, and of course, New Year’s Resolutions. Don’t worry, this post isn’t about how many New Years Resolutions have already been broken. It’s about festivals.

Festivals are fun – they give us reasons to celebrate, to dress up, to do crazy stuff, and engage in fun traditions. Some of them, like New Year, act as milestones that we can use to measure how far we’ve come. They mark happiness and sadness, and above all, they bring people together as a community. And in their own way, each festival is a cause for cheer.

Being from India, I have a ton of festivals that I look forward to – and no, it's not just Diwali. I absolutely love the festival of Holi - the festival of colours, for the fact that you get to play with colours. There’s a sweet prepared specially during the festival known as Gujia, and it's one of the top 3 reasons I look forward to Holi in 2022.

[​IMG]
    Source: Adam Whitlock on Unsplash
    Just three days from now comes the festival of Lohri, which is another favourite of mine. Lohri marks the be around a bonfire. Considering the cold wave here in North India right now, I certainly can do with a bonfire!

[​IMG]
    Source: Sanjeev Grover on Unsplash
    With today’s thread, I would like to get to know other cultures better.
    • What are the major festivals in your country or culture?
    • Why do you celebrate those festivals, and which ones do you look forward to the most?

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022

2. dsmonteiro
    OnePlus Community Team Staff Member Jan 10, 2022

dsmonteiro , Jan 10, 2022 :
    Here in Portugal, the biggest festivals are the "Santos Populares" (Popular Saints). Every city, town and village celebrates its own saint on a specific date. There are many, but they are usually celebrated during the Summer, with the biggest ones being São João (St. John, the patron of Porto, my hometown), Santo António (St. Anthony), and São Pedro (St. Peter, patron of many sea-related towns). My Father-in-Law was born on St. Peter's day and funnily enough, he's named after the saint, so these dates do have some significance.

São João in Porto is something you simply have to experience (once the Pandemic is over)! It's so good, I even included it in my dream community event!

3. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Jan 10, 2022

Starcommander , Jan 10, 2022 :
    I look forward to Durga Puja festival. Lot of fun activities and new clothes is what makes it one of my fav festivals

4. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Jan 10, 2022

Tokolozi , Jan 10, 2022 :
    Belgium follows a lot of the typical Christian festivals. Not that my friends and family really follow any of them.

My favourite time of the year is usually still the winter Holliday's with Christmas and new years... Family parties, dinners and gifts make it a fun period.

For the rest we have Carnival I really enjoyed as a child, was fun to get dressed up into different costumes as a kid. My sister always helped me get the best costumes. My favourite one was Neo from the Matrix, even dyed my hair black back then for it. Second came Freddy Krueger from nightmare on elm street.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022

5. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jan 10, 2022

Dresa91 , Jan 10, 2022 :
    I can list some in Germany:
    • New Year’s Eve: typical popular here in Germany. upload_2022-1-10_21-0-23.jpeg
    • Three King’s Day: it commemorates the arrival of the Magi in Bethlehem upload_2022-1-10_21-1-3.jpeg
    • Karneval/Fasching: in some federal states it is also called as „the fifth season“. Costumes, pageants and lots of fun . upload_2022-1-10_21-2-9.jpeg
    • Easter: Resurrection of Jesus. We hide colorful Easter eggs that the children have to look for upload_2022-1-10_21-3-7.jpeg
    • Mayfest: celebration of the return of the light. Maypole, dance and fun upload_2022-1-10_21-9-23.jpeg
    • Oktoberfest: well, nothing to add. Guess you all heard about the Oktoberfest upload_2022-1-10_21-4-0.jpeg
    • St. Martin‘s day upload_2022-1-10_21-4-28.jpeg
    • Christmas: well, also nothing to add. upload_2022-1-10_21-4-58.jpeg
    Christmas time is the time of seeing the family and celebrating with the family - for me. These days are the days I normally looking forward. The end of the year is near and there is nothing to worry about:)

6. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 10, 2022

7. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Jan 10, 2022

dom_k , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Jan 10, 2022 :
    Easter!

In the Czechia and Slovakia it's a day when boys hit all the girls on the butt with a stick made of willow branches. In return, the girls have to give the boys some sweets or a shot of alcohol. Funny, isn't it? It's done to keep women healthy all year round. 😂

1641851714225.jpg

8. BetiK
    KitKat Jan 11, 2022

BetiK , Jan 11, 2022 :
    Thank you @dnagpaldg
    This is a very interesting subject and allow us to share our cultures and get to know each other better.

The Brazilian people are very festive. They love to get together to have fun, eat, and dance. With the pandemic many festivities were canceled. I can tell you about them but I don't have any photographic material of my own.
    All the photos were obtained from the Internet.

I will describe more about the popular festivals in my state that is Rio Grande do Sul.
    My country is continental and each region has its characteristics, ethnicities, customs and festivals. My state is a mix of peoples from all over the world. The predominance is of Germans and Italians. Therefore, many of the festivals have to do with these nationalities.
    We have the FESTA DA UVA (Grape Festival) - where we celebrate the harvest of the grape crop and the wine production, brought by the Italian immigrants.
    images.jpeg

FENACHAMP - Which celebrates the Italian culture, dances, food, and the production of sparkling wine (champagne).

images (6).jpeg

CHRISTMAS LIGHT - As the name says, it is a festival that takes place days before and after Christmas and is celebrated with festivals and parades alluding to the date. It takes place in the tourist city of Gramado every year.

download (1).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

OKTOBERFEST- It happens in October of course and two cities celebrate it interchangeably. Igrejinha and Santa Cruz do Sul, lots of dancing, parades and beer gushing from the taps.

images (4).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

PINION PARTY- Happens in the winter and celebrates the production of pine nuts, which we all love to eat. Mostly roasted on the wood stove's hotplate The city that makes this festival is São Francisco de Paula.

images (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

These festivities I have described are the largest and most important. Many smaller towns have their specific festivals where they celebrate their customs and production. There is a potato festival (Kartoffel Fest), a watermelon festival (Watermelon Fest). etc...

download.jpeg

There is also the CARNAVAL in February or March, which is known worldwide and is a national festival.
    The most famous parade is in Rio de Janeiro. This year we won't have it again because of the pandemic. There are parades and competitions of samba schools. There is also the popular street carnival where people dance until dawn. There are three days of intense revelry.

images (3).jpeg

download (3).jpeg

These are just a few, but it can be multiplied many times over, if we talk about the regional festivals in each state in Brazil.
    Thanks for the opportunity to talk a little about our people and our way of life.

9. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 11, 2022

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 11, 2022 :
    Each year I wait for Durga Puja too...as Starcommander said.
    It is a festival which is celebrated over a span of a few days and it really creates a great festive mood within all people

Bro don't forget the delicious food :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

dom_k, Sanjoy+, Dresa91 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Moka24
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2022

Moka24 , Jan 11, 2022 :
    I am looking forward to my birthday. As I stay away from home, it is one of the times I visit my parents and celebrate with my family. The fact that it coincided with Diwali this year, it will be pretty easy to get leaves as well and celebrate both occasions with lights 🎆

Then, Holi seems promising as well with coming on Friday, Last year, I visited Rishikesh for holi just before 2nd wave (or is it in middle of it?) and all four of my friends contracted covid. If 3rd wave cools down, then a week long hike is definitely on cards for Holi week as well.

AshishPrinz and dnagpaldg like this.
  12. ZorroKenpachi
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2022

AshishPrinz and dnagpaldg like this.
  13. SRD.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Jan 11, 2022

SRD. , Jan 11, 2022 :
    Festivals are the best time.
    I love to know about different cultures & festivals( In fact my first thread was related to Festivals only.

Thank you for bringing the thread @dnagpaldg

The car festival at Puri is my favourite festival.
    Holi, Diwali & Dussehra are some of my favourite festivals every year I look forward to.

6017a110742bd.jpg

14. dnagpaldg
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Writers' Club Jan 11, 2022

dnagpaldg , Jan 11, 2022 :
    haha I had actully heard of all of them except St. Martin's Day and Thee King's Day. Oktoberfest sounds like a lot of fun though xD

Dresa91 likes this.
  15. dnagpaldg

Its on the list of things I want to see, the chariots are HUGE!

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  16. dnagpaldg

@Yash Pratap Singh. I sense you have friends in CR Park, SEND MISHTI DOI!!

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  17. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jan 11, 2022

Dresa91 , Jan 11, 2022 :
    Haha Oktoberfest is a lot of fun:D a lot of beer :D haha :D

dom_k and dnagpaldg like this.
  18. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 11, 2022

19. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 11, 2022

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 11, 2022 :
    Beer and Germany are made for each other ;)
    I saw people drinking beer out of jugs in frankfurt :D and even groups of teenagers, 15-18 yrs old :p

dom_k, dnagpaldg and Dresa91 like this.