Which device should I get? OnePlus 7T vs OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition

1. JerseyPirates
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 13, 2019

JerseyPirates , Dec 13, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone! Juliet @JerseyPirates here and I’m one of the US brand ambassadors. Today I want to talk about a question that has been posed to me recently: Should I upgrade to the 7T or the 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition? We all know that OnePlus has been dropping some pretty awesome phones in the past 5+ years and they just keep getting better but, when comparing two recently released in the US, you might be surprised to see that you sway one way or the other just based on some basic preferences. So, let the race begin…

Pulling That Extra G
    Many of us have been following the progress of 5G in the US and the McLaren is a great addition to the 5G family but the speed offered with the 600 mHz band sprinkled with pockets of mmWave varies by where you live. At the time of the T-Mobile launch and within an hour commute to NYC (aka NJ suburbia) I received 5G signal almost everywhere I traveled although the speeds were pretty much indistinguishable from 4G. However, I had peaks in certain areas that I never had before. One noticeable place was inside the building where I work so I can see how the current 5G network that allows the signal to travel farther could be very beneficial to those in areas that had little to no signal before. It’s still a work in progress but it’s a huge step in the right direction.

Got Curves?
    The 7T sports a 6.55” flat screen while the McLaren boasts a 6.67” curved display. Personally, I like the look of the curve especially with the horizon light, but I seem to have an easier time navigating apps, browsing, and gestures with the smaller, flat screen.

To Face Unlock, or Not to Face Unlock
    Talk of the screen brings us to another question: How do YOU unlock? I find that the in-display fingerprint sensors work exceedingly well on both devices but the lack of a notch on the McLaren means that the pop-up camera is a touch slower with the face unlock. However, it’s a notch-less phone so I guess there’s a little give and take with this one and you probably won’t see a clear winner until you consider where you stand on the great notch debate.

Under the Hood

I have to admit, I take photos. LOTS of photos. It doesn’t matter if I’m just grabbing a screenshot of something I need to reference later or hanging in bed with the dogs, I’m usually adding stuff my storage. If that wasn’t bad enough, I also like to try out new games and apps often without taking the time to remove ones from the distant past. (Hey, it’s a long-term goal for me😉.) This is where the 256GB of McLaren storage comes in handy and the 12GB of RAM lets me bounce back and forth between everything quickly.
    However, the 8/128GB of the 7T is nothing to scoff at. It still handled all of my stuff with room to spare and I didn’t notice a difference in performance from being “well used” to when I wiped it clean and started from scratch.

Looking Good!
    Both models offer colors that make you want to ditch the boring protectors and pick up a clear case. The 7T comes in the stunning Frosted Silver and the gorgeous Glacier blue. With the Pro 5G, you still get the reflective black Gorilla Glass back accented by the McLaren signature papaya orange of the previous McLaren model but the 5G version includes an intricately etched pattern under the glass that makes it next to impossible to photograph well. Seriously, the pictures do not do it justice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Loving that Warp Charge 30T
    Although the 4085mAh battery of the 5G McLaren is a tad bigger than the 7T’s 3800 mHh, as mentioned previously, 5G is still developing. This means that if you live in an area that has limited 5G coverage, you may experience higher battery drain than you would with the 7T model. Thankfully, that Warp Charge is super-fast when you need it.

Pricing and Availability
    Are you ready to make the switch? Right now you can pick up the unlocked 7T in either color for $599 from OnePlus and, for a limited time, they’re throwing in a free pair of Bullets Wireless 2 headphones. But, if you're a T-Mobile customer, you have the option of either the 7T for $599.99 or the 7T Pro 5G McLaren for $899.99. That’s right folks, the 7T is available at both locations but the 5G is a T-Mobile exclusive. If you want to pick up that black and orange speed-machine, T-Mobile is currently running a limited time offer to get the McLaren for free if you switch over and bring an eligible trade-in.

To sum it all up, when choosing a new smartphone, there are a lot of things to consider and it essentially comes down to what features and benefits the user feels are most important. For me, even though I realized I function a touch better using the flat screen, the look and additional storage of the McLaren outweighs everything else. But, for those dedicated face unlockers or flat screen enthusiasts, the 7T may be everything you want and more.

So, what drives you to buy (😉) or what would your favorite combination be? Drop us a comment down below to let us know. Whether you choose the new 7T, 7T Pro 5G McLaren or any other OnePlus phone, you’re getting a super-fast device that reminds you that There is No Finish Line, There are No Limits, and we Never Settle!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

测试123@, Mmedez, m6u3 and 25 others like this.
  2. LukeLumley , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Had a 6t a while back and just picked up the McLaren on T-Mobile. Something is eating up the battery like crazy, draining about 40% just sitting in my bag at work for 8 hours. I'd wait until they figure this issue out. Another thing I'm not crazy about that I never even thought of was the face unlock, Everytime you unlock that camera has to pop up. Whats the lifespan on that thing? if I had to do it again I would go with something with the notch. just my 2 cents.

3. Zecks1973
    Froyo Dec 14, 2019

Zecks1973 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I owned the 6t on T-Mobile. I loved it from the start. I prefered the flat screen. My phone before that was a Note 8. I could never find tempered glass screen protectors that work on curved sides. They end up falling off or have a rainbow look like oil on the surface of the water. The 6t was superb. I upgraded to the 7pro on T-Mobile. loved the phone but between the curved sides and the pop-up camera, I found it altered my usage drastically and I couldn't protect it with tempered glass or use face unlock. I now have the 7t unlocked on visible and love it. The flat screen works perfectly with tempered glass screen protector. I am back to using face unlock and it's even faster than before. The 5G might be nice but only a year from now. I personally prefer the 7t for the above reasons. Also I love taking Macro shots and the 7t with the special macro mode kinda tops it off.

m6u3, ekplusek2 and Xtermy like this.
  4. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

UncleCupCake , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I personally went with the 7 pro for the extra storage.i just don't bother with face unlock at all since finger print sensor is so fast. so to those worried about face unlock just avoid it I say.

5. dandan112988
    Eclair Dec 14, 2019

dandan112988 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I agree with this. with 5G in my battery drain is insane. and I have strong 5 G signal.

6. E1571407690836
    Froyo Dec 14, 2019

E1571407690836 , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I think One plus should give one more option to everyone to choose, either 7T with popup selfie camera or 7T pro with flat screen and 1000nits briteness. One plus please don't bring hole punch and curve option to OP8.

7. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

Tax_Mny , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I rather the 7T for the price, dedicated front camera instead of the pop up cam (less moving parts to break), flat screen equates to no glare when looking at the phone in direct sunlight.

Azuma_Naoki likes this.
  8. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Im on the same boat as you. I just traded my 2 month old 7t for the so called super fast 7t pro Mclaren. Ill tell you, it's really FAST...FAST ON BATTERY DRAIN lol.. So now im kicking my self in the *** for believing T-Mobile to their claoms about the 7t pro mclaren. If i can only return this, ill go back with the 7t in a heartbeat.
    Looks could be deceiving! It is really deceiving.
    just my 2 cents .

9. steven.ellsworth40
    Donut Dec 14, 2019

steven.ellsworth40 , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I am with you on the battery drain. I have done a few things that lessen the drain. I have taken the screen off 90hz if I know I am going to be out all day. Also, I let the phone auto-select the screen brightness. Doing both of those has allowed me to only drain about 8%-9% an hour under moderate use. I also noticed the drain slowed down around 55%. I used my phone for about 8 hours and it was down to around 40%.

I agree with folks on here in that the phone should not have any issues like this. I wonder if it may be a firmware issue. Also, my car has Android Auto and it is an act of congress to get it to function and charge while using the varied functions on the phone through my car. With items turned down, I can get it to charge....slowly...through the Android Auto USB port.

10. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Dec 14, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Great write up Juliet!!!
    .I think storage is a big thing for me. Like you I take lots of pictures... Took 300-400 of the Dom alone while in Köln. :oops:. Saying that, camera is also important. I kinda like the 3x optical zoom of the 7T Pro. But I have yet to try the 5 G .... Look forward to hearing more of your experiences with it.

TibiTibi, MosheG1 and JerseyPirates like this.
  11. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    If you want storage get Samsung, you can put extra micro sd card, if you want nice pictures go with pixel or iPhone 11 pro. STAY AWAY FROM 7T PRO MCLAREN 5G. CRAPPY BATTERY LIFE, CRAPPY SIGNAL. wait til they find a fix or release a better model. just my experience and thoughts on the mclaren 5g.

12. steven.ellsworth40
    Donut Dec 14, 2019

I will grant you the battery life is not great, but for me, the 5G signal here in El Paso works well for me. I am sure there will have to be a firmware update to address the battery life.

13. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Dec 14, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I can imagine the drain especially in poor signal area. I appreciate your feedback. But for many reasons I will stay away from Samsung and iPhone.
    Honestly I love how OOS is fast and smooth. I'm curious to see what the best 3-4 OnePlus phone will be.

I hope that your experience improves. Take good care.

jhovictor19 likes this.
  14. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    you mean BATTERY LIFE IS THE WORST? lol o dig you on that 5G speed, but I cant stand seeing myself standing next to the power outlet after 8hrs coz I run out of battery. Could be the firmware, but the question is when will they release a fix, probably when theres another model comes out lol

15. steven.ellsworth40
    Donut Dec 14, 2019

Lol. You are not wrong. I hope it will not take them 6 years to come up with a firmware update. I should not have to turn down various functions to squeak out a days worth of battery use.

P1575174174742 and jhovictor19 like this.
  16. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Thats the ironic part. all we thought is that the phone works and does good right out of the box and not do hardwork to tweak it to make it usable without stressing out lol. Ill give the T-Mobile reps a chance tomorrow and see what they will say or ill just return this and get back the 7t for now or go maybe go to the darkside Samsung lol

P1575174174742 likes this.

18. steven.ellsworth40
    Donut Dec 14, 2019

You know, I had been with the fruit company a long time...lol. I loved using iMessage to essentially chat on my Mac. I switched over and installed Message and love it. I do hope they iron out the battery debacle. As I was saying from an earlier post, I can turn down various settings to extend the battery, but I should not have to do that. My iPhone got about 1.5 -2 days of moderate use before I HAD to charge.

jhovictor19 likes this.
  19. Thikalevis
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

Thikalevis , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Personally jumping from 6t to 7t pro McLaren is huge upgrade. I love the look and feel of this deivice. No notch is a plus for me because u enjoy watching YouTube alot and pubg. I wish that they could make smaller phone like 6.1 or 6.3 inch is nice size.

kg19989 likes this.
  20. jhovictor19 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I just wished this phone atleast last a full day then ill be happy with it, worst upgrade i did imho. I too came from the fruitlands then went to the darkside few models then switched to 6t til now. lets just get our fingers crossed that we are not going to be ignored and neglected