Which do you prefer: COS or CM? (Esp. vers. 13)

?

COS or CM?

1. COS

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. CM

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2016

janguv , Apr 14, 2016 :
    So I'm on a custom ROM at present, and it's easier for me to flash a CM version of 13, since the COS equivalent (full zip, not incremental) isn't out yet. My current choice is between flashing stock recovery, COS12.1, and then the OTA, or just doing a clean flash of CM13.

What is your preference between the two variants of Cyanogen, and why?

2. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Apr 14, 2016

gaster , Apr 14, 2016 :
    Looks the same for me. However performance is better in the CM at least as much i saw with the last SNAPSHOT CM13 release compared to the 13 official

janguv likes this.
  3. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2016

4. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 14, 2016

janguv , Apr 14, 2016 :
    I might get that then. Is the update schedule good with CM? Do you do OTAs like with an official ROM?

5. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Apr 14, 2016

gaster , Apr 14, 2016 :
    No OTA. OTA's exists only for the Nightlies. But SNAPSHOT is the stable version of the nightlies that in the end comes as the COS but with the extra bloat. I was using it since 16 of March and t's amazing from every way

6. Jac_Q
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 14, 2016

Jac_Q , Apr 14, 2016 :
    COS13 is more stable for daily use than the CM13 Nightlies, therefore I'd go with the CM12.1->CM13 update path.
    If you need to do a clean install anyway, why not doing it with the official (and well running) version? ;)

7. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2016

janguv , Apr 15, 2016 :
    Thanks for the tip. I might very well go with the snapshot then.

I think that all makes sense, except for the fact that the snapshot exists, as @gaster mentioned. Have you tried that at all, @Jac_Q ? (I agree I'd go with COS over CM Nightlies.)

8. aavion
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2016

aavion , Apr 15, 2016 :
    COS, because it is built with properitary toolchains (qcom optimized) and includes properitary closed-source vendor drivers and libs that are more optimized to our phone than the open sourced ones CM uses ;) It doesn't make a major impact in battery life and perfomance, but the overall feeling of cos seems to be more responsive and "smoother" than cm ^^

9. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2016

janguv , Apr 15, 2016 :
    Thanks, that's interesting (what I could understand of it, anyway!). It's strange though how I've often heard from CM users that they find CM to be smoother and have battery life improvements over the COS equivalent! :/

10. Jac_Q
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2016

Jac_Q , Apr 15, 2016 :
    Yes, I tried the snapshot. It had a few minor bugs and annoyances therefore I wouldn't recommend it over COS13. Overall it still ran quite smoothly.
    One major reason I went from the snapshot to the official COS13 was a battery drain from the WiFi (https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189018), which I couldn't fix by either clearing cache and resetting the network settings. Furthermore I couldn't connect to my university's WiFi which - I found out - was caused by the Android M DHCP client, strangely the COS13 is not affected by that bug either (https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/android-6-0-attention-before-upgrading-eduroam-802-1x-eap.438046/). Maybe they fixed it.

11. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2016

janguv , Apr 15, 2016 :
    Ooh, I'll have to test that, since I need eduroam to work! Thanks for the heads up :)

12. janguv
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2016

janguv , Apr 18, 2016 :
    Just an update: Mostly it's been so far, so good, on CM13. Eduroam is working smoothly (smoother than normal, weirdly). I downloaded my institution's profile and used the app EduroamCAT to install it. So that's good. So far, I've had no battery drain issues either.

The only problem I had was installing a CAPPS package. Turns out Cyanogen don't provide a working Truecaller dialler for Marshmallow, and it results in a very disruptive error when you make or receive a call! Annoying... I don't know what the situation is on COS, re Truecaller? I know a lot of people don't like it, but I found it handy to have spam calls easily blocked, and it's better baked in on CM/COS than it is a separate dialler from the Play Store.

Anyway, I reflashed system after that, to get rid of CAPPS. Which led to my /system folder not able to be remounted as r/w, which meant that AdAway didn't work.... ETC! God I hate how the tiniest things have these constant ripple effects. Just did a TB backup of my apps and reflashed everything without CAPPS. Will do a Nandroid later now everything is back to perfect :)

13. Shafik Rahman
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2016

Shafik Rahman , Apr 18, 2016 :
    I'm running cm13 sultan it's stable and it's battery life is awesome and no bloatwares + weekly updates.. What can I expect more than that as an average user ?
    ☺️