White Screen of Death

1. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 6, 2020

GuitarHero0179 , Jul 6, 2020 :
    Hi guys,

Let's see if anyone can solve it here. My brother has a Oneplus 6 (I assume running latest update).

Suddenly the lock screen is just white, no response from the phone (WSOD).

Rebooting is possible but only back into a white lock screen. Physical buttons work. Recovery works and clearing cache did nothing.

As Google authenticator is running and no further access to computers for backup reset is not really an option.

Do you have any solution? Thanks!

Caomhin likes this.
  2. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Jul 6, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 6, 2020 :
    Try going into Safe Mode. And remove any recent app installs or updates that may be causing the issue.

Also backup all your data while in Safe mode.

Enter safe mode

Turn off your Android device by holding the power button and selecting the power off option from the menu.

Once your device has been powered off, long press the power button to turn it back on and wait till you see the device manufacturer or the Android logo.

Once you see the logo, press and hold the volume down button until your device reboots.

Release the power button once your device has rebooted and you will now be entered into the safe mode.

To get out of Safe Mode

Hold the power button on your device until you get the power off menu.

Select the restart option from the menu.

Your device will now be rebooted and exit from the safe mode and boot into the normal mode.

Batman360, drl431 and GuitarHero0179 like this.
  3. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 6, 2020

Thanks for the reply man. I will send this to him to try out. I suspect an OS issue as the phone does boot into recovery. He is currently abroad so tricky travelling without a phone.

Caomhin likes this.
  4. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 6, 2020

So same result unfortunately. Safe mode is visible for a very short time and then white screen.
    I think trying data recovery via ADB is an option and then a complete factory reset.

Weird thing is that I don't find this issue at all while searching.

Caomhin likes this.
  5. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Jul 6, 2020

There must be a major issue with Android trying to display graphics. As you suggest, backup via ADB then if it's an OP6 as you say, follow the steps below to unbrick the phone.

[e]26a0[/e]️Make sure it's OP6 as OP6T will require different files.[e]26a0[/e]️

Do This is at your own RISK

This link at XDA will point you in the direction to unbrick your OP6 phone.

Please follow their instructions to the letter. Read the posts by other users on XDA for more info

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/op6-collection-unbrick-tools-t3914109/amp/

If you are not comfortable doing that, please contact OnePlus directly at the link below for more information. Or bring the phone to an approved OnePlus service center.

Scroll down the page for contact details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

Batman360, drl431 and GuitarHero0179 like this.
  6. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 6, 2020

Yeah indeed. Weird thing is the phone just started doing this out of nowhere. Running stock OS without any manual changes.

I'll send my brother these steps to have him check. Thanks again.

Caomhin likes this.
  7. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Jul 6, 2020

Possible, either an app was installed or possibly an app updated in the background, could even be a Google app such as Services, Playstore or some other Google service which don't show they have updated. Or possibly just a general file/code corruption.

Batman360, rhyd1am and GuitarHero0179 like this.
  8. slaxmi8848
    Cupcake Jul 7, 2020

slaxmi8848 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Go to Settings> One plus laboratory > DC dimming
    and turn it on
    it worked on my device long ago

9. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 7, 2020

GuitarHero0179 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Sadly no access to settings so this won't work

10. razsh.8848
    Froyo Jul 8, 2020

razsh.8848 , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Switch your phone off
    Switch it on
    If not opened: wait for your phone to automatically be normal
    Then
    Go to settings> one plus laboratory> DC dimming
    And turn it on

11. axaxi
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2020

12. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2020

GuitarHero0179 , Jul 9, 2020 :
    Thanks for the feedback all. Issue seems solved for now with resetting just the settings and not the complete factory reset via recovery menu. No data seems lost but still a weird bug to suddenly appear.

Caomhin likes this.