Who's got the OnePlus One working on Straight Talk

1. duckwong
    Cupcake Aug 2, 2014

duckwong , Aug 2, 2014 :
    I have a ST ATT regular sim older than 2 years. I cut it to a micro sim card size so it will fit into my OPO. But I am only getting H+ speed with different APN settings. Do I need to buy a new micro sim from ST to get 4G/LTE?

2. markhodak
    Eclair Aug 2, 2014

markhodak , Aug 2, 2014 :
    Switched to ST 2 weeks ago when I got the One. No complaints and took 15-20mins for my phone to start receiving signal. Very fast sim delivery and easy setup. Not sure if there's 4G in my area but 3G is quicker than I had on Vzn with an iPhone 4.

3. MightyP
    Cupcake Aug 2, 2014

MightyP , Aug 2, 2014 :
    I switched from Verizon (Galaxy S3) to Straight Talk ATT with my OPO today. Phone worked as soon as I restarted it. Used the preset APN and all is working great (voice, text and 4G).

droidman69 likes this.
  4. hunter0389
    Honeycomb Aug 2, 2014

hunter0389 , Aug 2, 2014 :
    Yes. Your SIM is too old. I was in the same boat. I ordered a new micro from ST/Net10, then go on their website and transfer from old SIM to new SIM. It only took about 5 min. Then, rebooted the phone and I have 4G.

droidman69 likes this.
  5. wyatthunter6
    Gingerbread Aug 5, 2014

wyatthunter6 , Aug 5, 2014 :
    This is a little older thread but after you switched over does your plan continue or do you have to set it up again? I have the auto billing thing and didn't know if i would have to set it up again?

6. hunter0389
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2014

hunter0389 , Aug 5, 2014 :
    You have to set it up again.

wyatthunter6 likes this.
  7. wyatthunter6
    Gingerbread Aug 5, 2014

spanish33 likes this.
  8. np3est8x
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2014

np3est8x , Sep 27, 2014 :
    I can't receive text. I've called ST and they said it's the other person's phone. Really?

9. mithcb6
    Cupcake Sep 30, 2014

mithcb6 , Sep 30, 2014 :
    I currently have ST verizon do you know if the One works on that. I have been seeing it said to work on ST ATT but no mention of the verizon straight talk. Are they the same thing just different areas because to my little understanding of straight talk they just use the towers verizon and at&t have in the area. So would I have to switch from vrizon ST to ATT ST to have this phone and if so would my bills or anything else change? Also to activate the One on straight talk do you have to buy the BYOP kit?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

10. markhodak
    Eclair Oct 2, 2014

markhodak , Oct 2, 2014 :
    I compared bandwidths for the OPO and Straight Talk in our area first to make sure they would work. If you email them they provide it rather quickly. They are also very helpful in setting up data as well.

11. droidman69
    Donut Oct 6, 2014

12. datd00disit
    Eclair Oct 20, 2014

datd00disit , Oct 20, 2014 :
    Getting LTE on my OPO with ATT straight talk was pretty easy. I installed my sim card that I had in my Motorola G which was only getting HSPA+.

In the "About phone" option, it said I had HSPA+ service and showed my phone number, but my OPO was not getting any signal. Couldn't text, receive or place calls. No surfing.

I kept playing with the settings. Made sure I clicked on the ATT Straight talk option. Make sure you click on the "radial" next to it and it is highlighted.

Then I went onto straight talk website. Since I have an account, I log onto my account using my desktop and under the "My Account Summary" you should see the option that says "Add Device to my Account".

I typed in my IMEI serial number on phone and then typed in my phone number attached to my Straight Talk sim card. Saved it. Since I was sleepy when I did this, I just turned my phone off and when I got up and turned phone on, I noticed I got a msg from Straight Talk saying I had 7 days remaining before account was due. So I knew I now got service. But phone was still connected to my wifi and didnt see anything stating I was on LTE. So turned off wifi. Viola! LTE icon on top of phone screen. Not 4g but LTE. Not sure what speeds I am getting since I haven't ran a speed test but was happy to see that I have LTE on my OPO.

13. jvandus1
    Froyo Nov 7, 2014

jvandus1 , Nov 7, 2014 :
    I received my one yesterday afternoon and quickly had it up and running on StraightTalk. Since I had the wrong size sim from my previous phone, I've been with ST for 2 years and it was not LTE either, I ordered a new AT&T LTE micro sim from straight talk and transferred my old number over to the new phone and sim. I had everything working great and then as other apps installed, the phone updated, suddenly I was unable to send or receive texts. I spent some time on the phone with ST support and they concluded I needed to contact OnePlus to figure out how to set the "message sender number".

I have heard about customer service nightmares at OnePlus so I spent some time on the blogs and found my problem. I had enabled Voice+ after the software upgrade and restart. This enabled all apps to send SMS messages through Google Voice. This does not work with ST. Once disabled everything is working great again.

14. sproulls
    Donut Nov 20, 2014

sproulls , Nov 20, 2014 :
    Thank you so much @jvandus1! You are a dear saint! I received my opo a few days ago and couldn't send SMS, only MMS. I was really scratching my head!?! Things are working now :)

15. Deltido
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2014

Deltido , Nov 20, 2014 :
    If T-Mobile is good in your area. I would recommend going to MetroPCS. I used to have straight talk which, after taxes, was $48.

I pay $60(flat) on Metro and get truly unlimited data. So far I've used 15gigs this month - I don't have internet in my new condo yet.
    Also the ping is MUCH lower on metro, so internet feels so much more responsive.

16. RadwanS
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 20, 2015

17. droidman69
    Donut Feb 23, 2015

18. CurrentMe
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2015

CurrentMe , Feb 24, 2015 :
    Got ST. Works great!

19. jvandus1
    Froyo Feb 25, 2015

jvandus1 , Feb 25, 2015 :
    Martyong,

I've had my oneplus on StraighTalk since Nov 1 last year. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so I had to purchase a different micro sim online from WalMart. I inserted the sim, called StraighTalk and was switched over to the oneplus within about 5 minutes.

Everything worked great for a few hours till I set up Google voice. At that point sms stopped working altogether. After checking on this forum I realized that I had to disable Voice+. I had called StraighTalk customer service prior to looking here and they told me the phone was defective. (Not the best customer service but ST is cheap...) Since then everything has been great!

Where I live I usually have a strong lte signal and the phone has exceeded my expectations. I had two people as about it just at dinner last night! It works great, looks like a million bucks, and is much cheaper than the Nexus 6 I thought I wanted before it came out and I saw the size/price. For the price and quality of the phone you'd have to be a moron to get anything else. Especially given that they have no invite needed days!

I say go for it! You won't be disappointed as long as you have decent AT&T signal strength in your area!

Heres my settings...
    Screenshot_2015-02-25-08-14-38.png Screenshot_2015-02-25-08-15-00.png

If you have any questions just ask. I'm no expert. Just a happy opo ST user!

20. tony1208
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2015

tony1208 , Apr 2, 2015 :
    Just ordered a sim and card and wait to try this out and cut my bill in half almost..

jvandus1 likes this.