Why all android phones with notch are having bottom bezel ?

1. hirakjsaha
    Froyo Mar 25, 2018

hirakjsaha , Mar 25, 2018 :
    All the android smartphones (eg. vivo v9, huawei p20, oppo R15, zeonfone 5 ) who are copyng notch design from apple are having one thing in common unlike apple iphone X, THE BOTTOM BEZEL !!
    So, I was wondering is there any particular reason for adding the bottom bezel ? Cause its making the phone look more asymmetric. Firstly they are copying the design flaw of apple and making it trend... and secondly they are making it worse by adding that bottom bezel... I tried to google it but couldn't find explanation.... So please anybody can explain ?
    (*sorry for bad english)

Millig likes this.
  2. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 25, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Mar 25, 2018 :
    Because they have to be priced competitively and thereby don't have the financial resources for the craftsmanship that goes into the iPhone X for it to NOT have a chin.

hirakjsaha likes this.
  3. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 25, 2018

Baymax , Mar 25, 2018 :
    Android has a lot more components than the iPhone.

ReyDavidGroGam likes this.
  4. hirakjsaha
    Froyo Mar 25, 2018

hirakjsaha , Mar 25, 2018 :
    I am no product developer but i don't think there are extra hardware components in android phone compared to an iphone...(apart from a headphone jack)

5. jizang
    Lollipop Mar 25, 2018

jizang , Mar 25, 2018 :
    I like something to hold on too ;)

Baymax likes this.
  6. HIT-199
    Honeycomb Mar 25, 2018

HIT-199 , Mar 25, 2018 :
    I could imagine that the charing port + loud speaker components could be a reason. Maybe the type c ports are bigger then the lightning port.
    Or its just a thing of agronomy. To have a place where you can rest your fingers at the front of the phone. (but that doesn't make that much sense...)

hirakjsaha likes this.
  7. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Mar 25, 2018

Baymax , Mar 25, 2018 :
    I am a hardware and software developer on the side. Sure I've had help, but compared to the iPhone the Android has much bigger components hence why the nm processor size had to be made to fit all of the components. So the extra small chin is just give some space to move around and such. Apple also had to cut out touch ID to get to that size, whereas Android leaves fingerprint sensors in devices since fingerprint unlock is much more secure than facial unlock.

Another thing is nobody wants to accidentally hit the home button. So the extra chin helps for the use of the device.

Loveit, hirakjsaha and Hydra Bob like this.
  8. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 25, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Mar 25, 2018 :
    I heard it's there to fit the connector somehow.

hirakjsaha, G_TV95_MeLm and Baymax like this.
  9. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 25, 2018

meatandy , Mar 25, 2018 :
    Because all of the notched screens come form the same place .....Samsung

Baymax likes this.
  10. amanjha22
    Cupcake May 4, 2018

amanjha22 , May 4, 2018 :
    Smartphone panels require some space at the bottom to put a ribbon that connects the display to the device’s logic board. That small ribbon works as a bridge to draw power from the logic board and supply it to the display. This explains the bottom chin situation in the Android world. But then again, how did Apple achieve it?

What Apple did here is they used a curved AMOLED panel that takes a U-turn from the bottom and then they put the required ribbon at the back of the device. This may sound simple, but the process is both expensive and impractical for other OEMs. This solution adds thickness to a phone and the companies will need to pour more in R&D to restructure the components inside the device. And most importantly, the curved AMOLED panels are even more expensive. Android manufacturers already run on razor thin margins and this solution simply is not economical for them. After all, Apple is going to charge $1000 for that full-screen device while Android OEMs don’t have that luxury.

11. G_TV95_MeLm
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 4, 2018

G_TV95_MeLm , May 4, 2018 :
    This is the real reason.

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.
  12. Houjus43
    Eclair May 15, 2018

Houjus43 , May 15, 2018 :
    It's not. There is no curved screen inside of the iPhone X. But it's true that the connector is why there's a bottom bezel. I know that the curved screen is a false rumor but I really don't know yet how they managed to do that. I'll do some researchs.

Last edited: May 15, 2018

13. Houjus43
    Eclair May 15, 2018

Houjus43 , May 15, 2018 :
    The ribbon (that connect the screen to the motherboard) is bent behind the bottom of the screen. The consequences is that the connection is a lot more fragile.

14. amartens181
    KitKat May 15, 2018

amartens181 , May 15, 2018 :
    Because they're petty ripoffs...
    They don't know how to design and they hardly know how to copy...

15. G_Manjeet_Kumar_wXSf
    Cupcake May 15, 2018

G_Manjeet_Kumar_wXSf , May 15, 2018 :
    the whole screen should be curved from bottom to backward to connect the wiring of screen it is costier than bejel that's why I phone is too costier Android may not afford this curveness of screen to keep their phone less costier that why most of Android phone have bejel at the botrom