Why do smartphone have glass back and not aluminium back via OnePlus 5T

1. Maniron
    Cupcake Oct 1, 2020

Maniron , via OnePlus 5T , Oct 1, 2020 :
    Personally I am missing the aluminium back on smartphones which were strong and felt good to use , whether it will be possible that we will be able to see a aluminium back in near future from one plus. Just a feedback to OnePlus so that they bring back the aluminium back. I think aluminium back will give a long life to the smartphone compared to glass back , which might get damaged on a drop . Cause of glass back we had to get a strong case for our smartphone which is another loss and it's so tough for some people to afford them, suggestion on this please and hope OnePlus consider my suggestion

Y1535775016185 and jacobbinu like this.
  2. Matt 80
    Lollipop Oct 1, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  3. Tokolozi
    Nougat Oct 1, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 1, 2020 :
    Market tend. As soon as people stop buying glass backed phones. They will go to other materials again.

4. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 2, 2020

dsmonteiro likes this.
  5. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Oct 2, 2020

MentalDraco , via OnePlus 5T , Oct 2, 2020 :
    That comes with the note that wireless charging needs to be included. Something OP has not rly done untill the 8pro now.

bpaterson likes this.
  6. SeanPlus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 2, 2020

SeanPlus , Oct 2, 2020 :
    I find aluminium phones slippier than glass. Now that flagships are getting taller, I would expect to find them tip over my hand during use.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 2, 2020

dsmonteiro , Oct 2, 2020 :
    Aside from the natural trends of the market like @Tokolozi mentioned, there are also some considerations to be made about the permeability to radio frequencies, like @Roger.T suggested. Designing a phone needs to take many things into account, not just look and feel.

You could also argue plastic is more resistant than metal in many scenarios. Do you want to replace glass by plastic instead? ;)

Tokolozi likes this.
  8. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Oct 2, 2020

MentalDraco , via OnePlus 5T , Oct 2, 2020 :
    Samsung fan edition

Tokolozi likes this.
  9. F_Rohit_Bapat_kBaL , via OnePlus 3 , Oct 2, 2020 :
    Yes metal is more durable I am using oneplus 3 for four year I dropped it many time without using case It did not had any problem. If it was glass it should have cracked

10. jacobbinu
    Cupcake Oct 4, 2020

jacobbinu , Oct 4, 2020 :
    I like the aluminium finish tooo...and the glass finish seems to be ver fragile

11. Kaane Yoka Vasant. Y
    Cupcake Oct 4, 2020

Kaane Yoka Vasant. Y , Oct 4, 2020 :
    Aluminum back is easy to make, where the body and the frame merges the same where there won't be much work in making it, whereas when the phone that consists of glass back needs for specific work were you can makes specific cuts and structures to the glass such as curved edge etc.. And most of all the back cover includes glass back and the frame of the phone differs which will be aluminum frame, so this clearly tells/shows that the company had made some hard work to that phone, it is to show their work, uniqueness to that phone or let's make up a new trend and to showcase the brand, attack audience and more.... Anyways my all time no1 fav ONEPLUS... [e]2665[/e]