Why I Believe OnePlus should Build more than Phones

1. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

TDroid074 , May 18, 2015 :
    OnePlus has experienced a great amount of success with its first product launch, the OnePlus One. It has been a little over a year since that launch and people are wondering what the next phone will be like. There has been rumors of two phones being launched this year. ALthough this is all very exciting news, I want to draw your attention away from smartphones and look at OnePlus as a company. What I mean to say is, as a company, OnePlus main revenue stream and only major product offering is the smartphone. I believe that OnePlus should diversify into other products (maybe a fitness band, innovative software and apps, or another hardware product, etc.) We all have been surprised by OnePlus with the One, but what's next for the company besides smartphones? What do you guys think?

Toulouse likes this.
  2. Toulouse
    KitKat May 18, 2015

3. Deactivated User
    May 18, 2015

4. jadecolour
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2015

jadecolour , May 18, 2015 :
    They should find ways to better support international users first, like teaming up with a local service company.

frigginjoe and reddevildover like this.
  5. d1beats
    Jelly Bean May 18, 2015

d1beats , May 18, 2015 :
    Patients...from what I've seen on the forums, customer support is a big issue. That should be their focus before they go developing other stuff.

reddevildover and scrivz69 like this.
  6. iustin
    Eclair May 18, 2015

iustin , May 18, 2015 :
    I would like a low-cost and powerful tablet from OnePlus and also a fistness/sleep tracking band.

reddevildover likes this.
  7. marc.teixido
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 18, 2015

Madement and Toulouse like this.
  8. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

I agree with a good customer support system; however the basis of my question was what is OnePlus going to do going forward. I believe that smartphones remain a very reliable and profitable revenue stream (e.g. look at Apple) but just focusing on smartphones isn't a good strategy and I was wondering what product categories you think OnePlus should get into

tandu and reddevildover like this.
  9. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

That makes sense, and I do agree with focusing on one thing and doing it well but we are talking about a fairly competitive market here (not to mention saturated in more developed countries) so we need to consider ideas that can differentiate the OnePlus phone as well as new products to hedge the risk. Look at the Galaxy S5 and how much it affected Samsung's profits

tandu likes this.
  10. d1beats
    Jelly Bean May 18, 2015

d1beats , May 18, 2015 :
    they did have the back of a watch on the site a while back. That could be the next route they take.

11. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

I completely agree, I was looking at one of OnePlus's more well known competitors, Xiaomi, and I noticed how they are catering to the specific needs of international markets and I think that is a very effective strategy to differentiate OnePlus from the rest of the Android OEMs

12. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean May 18, 2015

13. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

I like the idea of a watch but from what I have seen (especially with the Apple watch) is that this sort of product is marketed based on a luxury standpoint and not a revolutionary technology innovation. Which brings to question the viability of that choice considering OnePlus isnt seen as a luxury brand

tandu likes this.
  14. DanDuke641
    Honeycomb May 18, 2015

DanDuke641 , May 18, 2015 :
    What's wrong with the battery? Drain? That's the software's fault and not necessarily OnePlus's or CM's.
    Touchscreen is obviously the fault of the hardware vendor and or manufacturing process. Agreed, they could actively seek alternatives.

marc.teixido likes this.
  15. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

Yea but what does growth imply? From a corporate standpoint, it means to continue to increase profits which can be only acheived from new products whether revolutionary or evolutionary

tandu and marc.teixido like this.
  16. peteryu
    KitKat May 18, 2015

17. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean May 18, 2015

WolfpackN64 , May 18, 2015 :
    Yes, but they are working on the OP2. They need to build a good product first, their team needs to grow first before they diversify.

18. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

19. NumbPT
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

NumbPT , May 18, 2015 :
    "I can't think of anything better than IB4L, so here's a smiley :)" - from OnePlus... owait
    i got no touchscreen issues anymore since that cm 12.1 nightly.

20. TDroid074
    Gingerbread May 18, 2015

Yes I know that the OP2 and maybe some other phone is in the works but I wanted to utilize this forum to help OnePlus brainstorm some possible ideas for products that users would like to see come to market. Think long-term, how long do you think OnePlus or any other innovative company sustain a competitive advantage? Smartphones are an evolving at an incredible rate yet their it can be argued that they are reaching a limit to which you can innovate them