1. I love my Passport!

12.0%
  2. No...Seriously ?!?!?

88.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Today I received my White Unlocked GSM 32GB Blackberry Passport.....

I know what you're all thinking. Why a Blackberry? WTF is wrong with you? Why are you posting this?

However, I'd like to share my experiece in the last 12 hours I've had with this device thus far.

I'd like to start off by saying I've had multiple phones throughout 2014 and a few already in 2015. I've had 3 OnePlus's (One 16GB & two 64 GB's) then I had a few other phones shortly after. Most recently I had an iPhone 6 (One of probably 8 I've already owned). I'm quickly getting bored with iOS and decieded it was time for a change. I've had dozens of android phones & iPhones, I even had a few Windows phones the past couple of months. I saw the Blackberry Passport and like most, I judged it by it's cover and thought it looked awkward. Then the reviews started to come out. One by one, it seemed MOST reviews mentioned how much they had really enjoyed using the Passport after a short period of time. I figured, why not. I sold my iPhone 6 on ebay and shortly after, ordrerd the Blackberry Passport.

Upon unboxing today, I was welcomed by an odd shapped and odd feeling device. However once I powered it on, I was instantly hooked! Within 10 minutes I installed the Google Play Store, logged into the Amazon App Store, & I quickly downloaded all of the apps I use on a regular basis. I connected Blackberry Blend to my iPad Air 2 and began sycning my Blackberry Hub. I linked all of my email accounts and social media networks to the Passport. I even played a few games to test out the 3GB RAM. I had multiple apps open from Excel docs for work, games for play, personal and work related emails firing off, social interactions, & even a youtube video. Which by the way, I love that the YouTube video continues to play even when I'm completely out of the app and interacting with another, THAT'S true MULTI-TASKING!

At the end of my day, I realized I hadn't once picked up my laptop. I only used my iPad Air 2 a few times to check my Blackberry Hub. I wrote excel, word, & even powerpoint docs while at work. I played a few games here and there, watched a few videos, paid some bills, took a few photos, sent at least 100 emails, messaged my wife through BBM throughout the day, & text a few other family and friends. I even installed Google Wallet and with the built-in NFC I paid for my lunch. I did this ALL on my Blackberry Passport. All of which, yes I could do on most devices here in 2015. However, for the past year or more Blackberry has been called the dying breed and much worse. After spending just 12 hours with this device, I beg to differ. I think Blackberry is on to something and I hope throughout 2015 they continue to prove others wrong. I seem to have rambled up this initial hands on, but I will for sure provide a full detailed review in the next week or two. As for my first impressions, I'm in love again with my Blackberry!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Google Play Store
    image.jpg

Amazon App Store
    image.jpg

Blackberry App World
    image.jpg

Absolutely love having access to multiple app stores in one device!

2. Lunatasian
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

Lunatasian , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Play store on the blackberry?! Why did no body tell me this before?!!

Gib me the moniez to test it out for myself :D

Knowing BlackBerry, the price is going to come down fast soon enough, and I might just trade my OPO for it if I am convinced enough.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

3. bestlands
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

bestlands , Jan 27, 2015 :
    This is a great review, I did not see this coming. I've heard good things and I still keep that blackberry will exist and possibly compete in this world

4. bestlands
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

bestlands , Jan 27, 2015 :
    No I. Can't trade my opo especially one that has a bamboo back but I do see the design and how the phones back is made (material) that it is high quality, also never knew that blackberry can be with Google play

5. Marianape
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 27, 2015

Marianape , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Appreciate the review, I wasn't expecting a good move on blackberry, it's good to see them moving in the right direction again.
    I just have two questions:

Didn't you feel weird using a small squared screen again? I don't think I could get used to it that easily after handling a 5.5" screen

How does it feel on the hand? Any way I look at it it just seems awkward and uncomfortable but I have been surprised before.

6. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Jan 27, 2015

gaster , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Passport it's a great device and for the physical keyboard lovers is the best choice at the moment in my opinion. So it's normal for you to love it. Enjoy it and gratz. Nice review ;)

7. Maximus12
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

8. M4ENY
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

M4ENY , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Let us know how you feel about the passport in a couple of months. You get a much better picture of the phone that way.

Thanks in advance :)

9. ash23
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube likes this.
  10. Lillianc
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube likes this.
  11. clutchinonedowntwoup
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

clutchinonedowntwoup , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Thanks! I really want a passport as a nightly phone to mess with and relive my old bb days. I really miss the real keyboard. And I like the keyboard which is all capacitive and hardware.

Drewbikscube likes this.
  12. prodigy4299
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

prodigy4299 , Jan 27, 2015 :
    As a Canadian, I miss the days when RIM (Blackberry) used to be cutting edge. These days I guess catching up to the pack is considered good enough. Glad to hear you enjoyed the device. Can't say that's an emotion I ever felt handling a Blackberry before. :p

Seriously, though. There are plenty of corporate clients that have stuck with Blackberry over the years, so it's good to hear that at least now they won't have to compromise with devices that feel like they're stuck in the past. :)

lillanaa, iTrollz and Drewbikscube like this.
  13. smaug42
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

smaug42 , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Yup.. from BB10.2.1 you can install any/all Android apps. Really opens things up. All the interesting features of BB plus the Android app store...

psionandy and Drewbikscube like this.
  14. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

StuartTonkin , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Hate BB. but strangely enjoyed your review. well done.

15. amandanguyen93
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube likes this.
  16. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube likes this.
  17. firoz
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

Drewbikscube likes this.
  18. TigerXC
    Lollipop Jan 27, 2015

TigerXC , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Yes, I've seen had chance to play around.
    I like the styling and looks, feels nice.
    Its different format, but I like weird stuff. lol
    Unique comes to mind. ;)

Good luck, hope BB comes around again.

19. skromnia
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

skromnia , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Its not a review, more like overview. If you still have a One hanging around make a face to face speed test. Say how the camera is. Say how the sound is, how the headphone output is compared to the One. Say if every app runs fine or not. Say how the size is, is it too wide?

aneesimran and Drewbikscube like this.
  20. Airbus
    Honeycomb Jan 28, 2015

LifelessLewis and Drewbikscube like this.