Why is ADB debugging over Wi-Fi no longer available on OnePlus devices ?

1. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 25, 2018

KeepTransisting, Jul 25, 2018 :
    It is useful, but sometimes security wins out over ease-of-use

manuel19, luxuskamel and Kytharsis like this.
  2. Shivanshpro Eclair Aug 3, 2018

3. arjanvlek Honeycomb Aug 5, 2018

arjanvlek, Aug 5, 2018 :
    I don't think this is a great loss. I've tried it a few times in the past (to debug my own app) and it was slow as hell, even on a pretty good WiFi connection (40mbps).

Stepping through breakpoints and inspecting variables at runtime (2 developer things developers can do when making apps) took way longer than via USB. Installing APK files was much slower. Taking screenshots took a bit longer, and I could basically call every feature ADB has to offer and say it's either slower or more likely to cut out halfway through.

All in all, the minor advantage of not having to plug your phone in is not worth the massive slowdowns, risk of corrupt files and security risks this brings.

JohnS likes this.
  4. F_Rakesh_Roshan_Rana_QCK Honeycomb Aug 11, 2018

5. FighterBoyZ Gingerbread Aug 12, 2018

FighterBoyZ, Aug 12, 2018 :
    This is dumb. Who would use it in a public network? Besides you have to authorize new networks. If you don't want use it then don't. Why does the company have to baby the end user? Not that I use it anyways.

6. Gav_W86 Starting Point Expert Aug 12, 2018

Gav_W86, Aug 12, 2018 :
    "Why does the company have to baby the end user?" - have you read some of the posts on here?

Archnibbler and elanglois like this.
  7. FighterBoyZ Gingerbread Aug 12, 2018

FighterBoyZ, Aug 12, 2018 :
    Adb is hidden behind the developer settings. If you tamper with them without understanding that's your fault.

8. G_Pulkit_Jain_CUYW Cupcake Aug 12, 2018

9. Edward_P Donut Aug 13, 2018

Edward_P, Aug 13, 2018 :
    Absolutely, Inconvenient at all! Please get it back or I will flash LineageOS instead.

10. nicoloconicolas Cupcake Aug 17, 2018

piit79 and Sam Nakamura like this.
  11. elanglois Lollipop Aug 18, 2018

elanglois, Aug 18, 2018 :
    This is just stupid. ADB debugging isn't turned on at all by default. For someone to have their device monitored, they would have to do the following ...
    1 - Go to About phone and tap the Build number enough times to enable debug mode.
    2 - This is usually protected, so now we need a password or fingerprint, and it specifically says "Developer Options" so regular users shouldn't be doing this!
    3 - Turn on ADB debugging
    4 - Turn on ADB over WiFi
    5 - Go to an unprotected network and connect
    6 - When the hacker connects, his ADB fingerprint is displayed, meaning the device isn't recognized and hasn't connected. The user must allow the connection from the pop-up.

If someone does all that, they deserve what they get.

Meanwhile, I need to debug a program that involves running a service when the USB cable is plugged in, and I can't keep the USB cable plugged for ADB and test my code because I'd lose the debug connection when I unplug it.

Sure ... remove a feature from developer tools and make the developer's life harder to protect the idiot user from doing stupid crap in a menu they have no business being in in the first place!

OnePlus lost a point in my book. This is asinine.

12. elanglois Lollipop Aug 18, 2018

You think 40mb is good???

Maybe a decade ago. We have gigabit WiFi dude.

13. elanglois Lollipop Aug 18, 2018

Security is not an issue because it's off, and you can't even turn it in without knowing how to get to a hidden menu. All you have done is destroyed a developer feature.

USB ports at coffee shops and the like can steal your files. Are we going to remove both ADB and MTP next? Security wins out over ease of use. You'll have to use the internet for all data transfers because USB isn't secure

macemoneta and piit79 like this.
  14. DenyDarko Honeycomb Aug 19, 2018

DenyDarko, Aug 19, 2018 :
    I smell a CVE notice solved internally by taking down a useful feature for developers than a general "security improvement".

The justification makes no sense as that's a feature that has to be explicitly activated though a hidden menu and disabled by default.

15. piit79 Cupcake Aug 25, 2018

piit79, Aug 25, 2018 :
    Disappointing. By protecting newbs you are taking away a useful feature from power users. Not happy.

G_Tobias_Schmale_axRm likes this.
  16. SoumyaMahunt Gingerbread Aug 25, 2018

SoumyaMahunt, Aug 25, 2018 :
    I don't see any point in removing the feature. Of course there are some security concerns, thats why its always been in developer section which is hidden from normal user. For somebody who is using this feature will be well aware of the issues.
    The right course of action should be showing pop up about the issues with a link to a reputable site which gives explanation of the issues instead of removing such an useful feature.

JohnS and G_Tobias_Schmale_axRm like this.
  17. markic22 Cupcake Sep 2, 2018

markic22, Sep 2, 2018 :
    As a person who uses ADB debugging over wifi daily, I am very dissapointed. Explonation of OP makes 0 sense. Why dont you just disable developer option all together? There are many more setting that could exploit the device security. Bad choice.

18. tluanga34 Cupcake Nov 20, 2018

tluanga34, Nov 20, 2018 :
    This is bullshit. Only developers enable ADB over wifi. ADB over wifi itself is complicated already even for developers to connect our own phone. First, you need to connect to the computer physically with USB and then run commands to enable Wifi debugging.

19. MatteoCarrara Gingerbread Dec 22, 2018

mahc likes this.
  20. mahc Cupcake Feb 25, 2019

mahc, Feb 25, 2019 :
    :S I have been on mobile development since J2ME, as me there are ppl with enough knowledge
    to know what we are doing...I just bought a 6t and then I found this surprise :(. Can I have it back without rooting? I don't wanna dig on my new phone :((((((((((((((((((