Why It Matters: Sustainability

1. yashonagori
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Feb 26, 2021

yashonagori , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Feb 26, 2021 :

A great video going in depth about what you mentioned here! Must watch!

Great thread Suhant, we need more conversations around this topic!

suhantm, pkg3107 and Dresa91 like this.
  2. CuriousLad95
    Froyo Feb 26, 2021

CuriousLad95 , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Global warming, climate change, extreme natural events, pollution, etc are drivers of evolution. Evolution can be defined as a descent to biological modification or more generally, a path to development and growth. Nature however, allows species that fail to adopt or, for the case of humans, realign its path to progress to become increasingly likely to fail and face painful extinction. There are many people working tirelessly in giving humanity the keys of engineered evolution. The problem is that humanity hasn't achieved this yet so we must do our best to defy both the natural order and unnatural decay.

Dresa91 likes this.
  3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 26, 2021

dsmonteiro , Feb 26, 2021 :
    This is a myth. In fact, in many cases, a third-party charger can lead to a better battery life.

I agree that needlessly shipping items separately is bad for the environment. But so is shipping something that people don't need. Maybe the best option (don't know if it's feasible from a logistics standpoint) is having different SKUs with and without charger so that people can choose.

Insert cool name, pkg3107 and Dresa91 like this.
  4. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2021

suhantm and Dresa91 like this.
  5. srini0301
    Jelly Bean Feb 26, 2021

srini0301 , Feb 26, 2021 :
    The impact of these efforts could substantially lessen the amount of the electronics in " landfills "and the overall footprint of the tech industry.

6. _sreehari_ , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Feb 26, 2021 :
    If there is an option for the user to select the accessories along with the phone , then it should definitely reflect on the total price too...

Removed earphones...
    Removed head phone jack...
    Removed charger....
    I don't know whether these moves by companies did increase or decrease carbon footprints or not...
    #justmyopinion

By the way is there any way so that we could recycle our old phones that are not working??

7. DIVITH.C
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 26, 2021

DIVITH.C , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Feb 26, 2021 :
    According to sustainability claims, companies can reduce carbon footprint and plastic usage by providing charger/accesories in the box as there will be no need of ordering i.e. making of new packaging and freight in order to get a complete usage experience.
    If you do not get charger in the box, you buy third party charger, also resulting in inefficient charging and battery degrading at faster rate..

Please stop giving us hoax BS. I am not sure why people are not raising voice against such crap hypocrisy.

8. WASIM OnePlus
    Honeycomb Feb 26, 2021

9. Rutvik_Shah
    Gingerbread Feb 26, 2021

Rutvik_Shah , via OnePlus 6T Mirror Black , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Companies are increasing their profit under the garb of "Environmental Protection".

The following are reason to support the same:

1) Environmental Protection measures are reducing their cost and they are also becoming more compact by cutting items due to which they can supply more and following the concept of JIT (Just In Time) Production becomes much easier for them which results in very minimal or no storage cost.

2) Selling accessories at a higher margin. The end consumer base for accessories is also very huge. I understand that people already have accessories but in Indian market when we sell the phone in second hand market, the amount is reduced if we don't provide charger and original accessories, which I think is very bizzare and in total contradiction to the environmental goals. The system overall needs to change. People should understand the same issue and support.

3) None of the companies pass on the benefit to the consumer of saving their environmental cost. Atleast option should be given at reduced price which will encourage the people to avoid unnecessary accessories.

Lastly, if we really want to contribute towards the environment, then all should work in harmony, and there should be no profit motive in the same...

Dresa91 likes this.
  10. Danicr , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Feb 26, 2021 :
    I agree with your conclusion

11. N1614401375558
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2021

N1614401375558 , Feb 27, 2021 :
    OnePlus Vision is “To be a healthy company that endures”. OnePlus and all OnePlus Employees shall assume the corporate social responsibilities, respect and commit to protecting and giving back to our communities, so as to achieve sustainable development together with the society.

suhantm likes this.
  12. warrior143
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 27, 2021

13. Sutar Hafiz
    Gingerbread Feb 27, 2021

14. SJBoss
    Lollipop Feb 27, 2021

15. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Feb 27, 2021 :
    @sunahtm - that's a great article. The really big push though is to educate consumers about sustainability. Some of them don't know what it means and some couldn't care less. I work in construction and everything we design and build is factored with the environment in mind. Once consumers see the impact of their buying decisions and how it affects them, they'll listen to the message. We've only got finite resources on our planet and it has to come to a point where sustainability and recycling become the norm.

suhantm likes this.
  16. shreya0726 , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Finally there is talk of sustainability in tech.

The carbon footprint of our technology use from it origin to everyday use cannot be denied. But, there are ways to reduce it. I agree to a lot of suggestions about how consumers should get a choice.

Also, at the same time, there are things we can practice. We know the One Plus wrap chargers and Turbo charger are in a way reducing the electricity consumption, but at the same time we need to remember that we need to switch off our chargers when not in use as they still consume power when plugged-in the socket (even without a phone attached). It's such a simple step but when multiplied with the number of One Plus user (the maths is understood).

A lot of times we just hoard up our old phones when they stop working and they lie neglected in some bottom drawers. We need to take a simple step and give them away for maybe a cashback to One Plus. A lot of phone parts can be reused.

The onus of sustainable tech does not lie with the company alone it also matters how as consumers we minimize our footprints (while a company can leverage it as part of their ad campaigns).

suhantm, luxuskamel and Dresa91 like this.
  17. luxuskamel
    Marshmallow Feb 28, 2021

luxuskamel , Feb 28, 2021 :
    Even though i don't like Samsung, I really like the fact that their software support is still going for old phones. That's something I wish we would do too. It's bad for the economics if people don't buy a new phone every year, but it's a good thing for the environment. Also why does OnePlus ship software features on new phones, which could be in theory also be working on older phones?

sfomin, McJader, bobsta and 2 others like this.
  18. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Feb 28, 2021 :
    To put it bluntly, virtually all hardware tech companies don't want to support older products as it harms their revenues and profits. As consumers, we can vote with our feet and choose a manufacturer that provides long term support but I doubt there are any out there. I don't particularly like Apple but I have to hand it to them for giving software support to devices that are five or six years old from their initial release date. They're not perfect by any means but where Apple leads, other smartphone manufacturers follow.

suhantm and luxuskamel like this.
  19. Its_Murtaz07
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2021

suhantm likes this.
  20. deepakmohank
    Gingerbread Mar 1, 2021

deepakmohank , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 1, 2021 :
    If the companies really do care about sustainability then the life cycle of phone should be increased by providing updates for longer time, by using better components that last longer, that hurts lesser to environment. Apple devices get most update of any current smartphones; 2015 6s runs latest ios 14.4 and the life span is 6 Yrs.. Incredible. Apple uses same design and components for few generations. This way they save in time, energy and materials.

I still own an OP3 and that device is working flawlessly but stuck with Android 9. OnePlus 6 I own shall get only 1 more update.

The whole things happening is a gimmick. Why because; they removed chargers, headphones only. What about the 100s of millions of the phones sold every year. In a year or two it becomes obsolete. The charger and headphones last longer, they're used for a longer period and they're not thrown easily. I still have OnePlus old type dash charger, Mi QC 3.0 charger, a PD charger and this 8T charger. I kept them because incase in future I need this I can use it.

The scenario of smartphones are different. If its no longer updated then many apps no longer work, software hangs, no support etc and at last you throw away them. Also, see most of the smartphones these days are used with a case on it. If the phone was made of materials for eg. like OPO, OP2 etc then you needn't to use case. For wireless charging if needed manufacturers can do the trick done in Pixel 5.

Had a phone be like assembling a computer the situation would've been nice. You buy the board + shell + battery; choose which type of camera module supported by the MoBo, flash the free aosp. But that's just imagination as components are getting smaller and more complex each year.

luxuskamel likes this.