why no micro SD slot?

1. Z1513972376754
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2018

Z1513972376754 , Jan 1, 2018 :
    I'm a geek
    and as a geek i wanted a new phone and oneplus 5t was best i can get....i have always been a Samsung user as they got the best hardware always this is the first time I have changed the company n went for oneplus because of it's performance
    but it's a disappointment not to have a expandable memory n low resolution screen
    one the first day my 5t is 60% full.

Ravi BINAVAT and Ribtin like this.
  2. rvirex
    Honeycomb Jan 1, 2018

rvirex , Jan 1, 2018 :
    Mr Self proclaimed "GEEK" ever heard of USB OTG??

IF NOT PLEASE GOOGLE IT.

3. lutti
    KitKat Jan 1, 2018

lutti , Jan 1, 2018 :
    Sd card will most of the time be slower than the integrated storage so that's why they decided not to have it. So as a geek you should appreciate the choice. Sure it's an option on a phone if you have it but most people would never need it with 64gb and if you feel that 64gb may in some point run out you have the option to choose the 128gb version of the phone. If you happen to need more you should consider something else than a smartphone to store what ever you are storing.

4. nilz22
    Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

nilz22 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    If you was a geek why did you not do any research before purchasing the phone to know its full specification?

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Jan 2, 2018

dsmonteiro , Jan 2, 2018 :
    I guess he fits in the first definition but not the second.

6. GuitarHero0179
    Jelly Bean Jan 2, 2018

GuitarHero0179 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    I'm happy with just 128gb. I have seen way too many sd cards crash or get corrupted in my work to still trust them

S1514688766155 and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 2, 2018

8. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jan 2, 2018

Lancelot_69 likes this.
  9. alogim
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim , Jan 6, 2018 :

nilz22 likes this.
  10. Anu_Priye
    Gingerbread Jan 6, 2018

Anu_Priye , Jan 6, 2018 :
    Even class 10 Sd cards are too slow compared to internal storage. Besides 128gb internal + 4tb hdd via otg makes much more sense.

11. KingAsh247123
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2018

KingAsh247123 , Apr 27, 2018 :
    Okay guys lets all take a step back and realise that despite people being able to have an OTG cable and a HDD, a micro SD card is just more convenient for some people.

With a micro SD card you can quickly swap it in and out of cameras or other devices which may need more leads and adapters which takes up space which is valuable.

Furthermore, you can also carry multiple micro SD cards on your person and it doesn't take much space in your pocket whereas carrying around a HDD, cable and otg adapter is just more things to lose or misplace as well as carry.

In my opinion, having and SD card slot can be beneficial to me as i carry two phones on me and when one dies i can swap the SD cards and have all my music and use that phone.

Yes i understand i can have a HDD and an otg cable ect but those can break easy if your putting them in your pocket and using public transport (i.e running, moving ect while being connected). As well as being able to break the device they can also be made redundant if you lose the cable connecting the HDD or the OTG adapter etc (Basically its just more things you can lose).

My conclusion is despite being fast, having SD card expansion outweighs in positive points rather then negative. Furthermore, it can't hurt to have it as the built in storage is also always there in terms of fast storage.

12. Ribtin
    Cupcake May 2, 2018

Ribtin , May 2, 2018 :
    Wow! These excuses for not having an SD-card slot are all incredibly stupid!

1. SD-cards are not "too slow" to store videos, comicbooks or podcasts, to name a few examples.

2. When you travel, you want to be able to take several thousands of photos and videos in the absolute highest quality, without having to worry if there's enough space left.

3. Also, having to carry around external storage that you must connect via cables only to have it drain the battery, defeats the whole purpose of having a sleek phone!

13. hotsauce
    Lollipop May 2, 2018

hotsauce , May 2, 2018 :
    The question here shouldn't be is a SD card slot useful. Because it is definitely more useful than NOT having an SD card slot. The real question however, should be why did a person spend hard earn money to buy a phone, without knowing that it doesn't have an SD card slot. And if they did knew that it doesn't have an SD card slot, why make a post complaining about it and wasting everyone's time. It's not like Oneplus can magically give the 5t an SD card slot via OTA push. You bought the phone knowing what it is, learn to deal with it or simply get another phone that fit your need.

Budruel likes this.
  14. G_Swapnil_Chitnis_NAIz
    Eclair May 2, 2018

G_Swapnil_Chitnis_NAIz , May 2, 2018 :
    you can't blame company for your stupidity. Generally people search on internet before buying mobiles. It is clearly said that any of one plus phones do not have sd card slot. So it was your fault for buying without doing research.

Budruel likes this.
  15. do the joj
    Gingerbread May 2, 2018

do the joj , May 2, 2018 :
    Sure I agree with that you that you could be a geek but you're not for this phone I'm assuming, I'm a fanatic of this phone due to the speed and DASH charging, I'm a power user and will always be, I would suggest a different device if you use your phone as a daily only system (ie: going to places to download movies and suff on your phone or as a daily computer, If you don't need speed then why purchase the oneplus device in the first place? As in a sense, you are not a geek but a person out for quality, Please stick with your Samsung devices if you are not interested with the 5T for this will not matter because #SameButDiffrent due to android

16. G_Jon_Pileot_pvCS
    Cupcake May 31, 2018

G_Jon_Pileot_pvCS , May 31, 2018 :
    Just because SD cards are slower than the internal phone memory doesn't mean it can't be used to store pictures, music, movies, or other seldom used files. So it takes an extra half second to load a picture I took a year ago, at least its easy to copy my files from one phone to another, or avoid losing my music when I unlock my bootloader or swap between devices. Plenty of reasons having a SD card in a phone is a great idea, and one im sad that oneplus hasn't included in the OP6

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. izzykasha
    Lollipop May 31, 2018

izzykasha , May 31, 2018 :
    Firstly it's this person's first ever post here and yes maybe something is lost in translation and maybe he hasn't worded the word geek best or done some prior specification research...

But....

DO ALL YOU SENIOR MEMBERS OF THE FORUM NEED TO HELP RATHER THAN KILL SOMEONES FIRST POST THAT YOU MAY SCARE HIM AWAY!!

we were all noobs once.

Last edited: May 31, 2018

vanil666 and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  18. Ravi BINAVAT
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 31, 2018

izzykasha likes this.
  19. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow May 31, 2018

Waveform Modifier , May 31, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert May 31, 2018

Gav_W86 , May 31, 2018 :
    Yes, if people buy a good quality SD card it is not an issue. The problem is that many many people around the world buy cheap **** memory cards, or poor quality fakes. I can't remember which company it was now, but read that poor SD cards were in the top 5 causes of contact to their support.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.