why no micro SD slot?

1. maveri
    Eclair May 31, 2018

maveri , May 31, 2018 :
    The real reason phone companies are dropping SD cards is not because of performance!

it's to increase profit, nothing more

if they provide an SD card slot, they cannot charge much extra for cost, maybe $20

With an SD card slot, you can shop around and buy what you like, at a cheap price

If the phone manufacturer sells a phone with let's say $128 GB instead of $64 GB, they can charge you a lot more for that additional 64 GB in the phone than if they gave you an SD slot and you went and purchased a 64 GB SD card yourself and expanded your phone

It is simply greed and profit maximising as to why they are removing the SD slots. They simply make more money forcing you to buy a higher memory phone than giving you the choice of expanding your phone via an SD slot

Even in rip-off expensive Australia the cost of a 64 GB micro SD card of a good brand at an expensive retail store will cost you $25. How much is the difference between a 64 GB mobile and a 128 GB mobile phone? A LOT more than $25 that's for sure, hence why greedy manufacturers are doing it. They buy that 64 GB for much much cheaper than $25 too

Now, manufacturers are doing those stupid hybrid slots to again force you to more expensive phones with more memory. Hybrid slots have dual SIM or one Sim + memory. Hybrid SIM does not allow Sim + Sim + SD!

For those saying hybrid SIM is to allow for thin phones, WRONG!. Motorola made the world's thinnest phone and it came with dual SIM + normal micro SD!

Only greedy manufacturers make phones with hybrid slots or no SD slot altogether :-(

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  2. Strinix
    Donut Sep 11, 2018

Strinix , Sep 11, 2018 :
    My OnePlus X has an SD Card slot.

3. Sam69shaikh
    Cupcake Sep 11, 2018

4. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Sep 11, 2018

Shuller , Sep 11, 2018 :
    Many of you are defending OP for this decision, however I would vote for the expandebale store...
    Initially you can opt for a lower version and over the time if you need to kinda upgrade it.

OTG is not really a solution... it requires you to carry always something... and you won’t keep it always plugged...

Who mentioned that read and write capacity is slower on SD cards... IDK if you will notice the slowness... and even if it is so, with the base model you have enough storage for installing apps and for storing only on SD card I think the difference of few minuted for few GB is not a huge deal breaker...

So yes, SD Card reader would be a thing to add, however OP doesn’t care of what people needs...

Cheers,

Mr_Cyrox likes this.
  5. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Sep 11, 2018

Mr_Cyrox , Sep 11, 2018 :
    I wouldn't agree that they don't care what people want but i digress...

I too miss expandable storage but it's not like i really need it...
    Screenshot_20180911-140206__01.jpg

Yeah i get it can be used for sharing files too...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018

6. OnePlus OxygenOS
    Honeycomb Sep 11, 2018

7. sambhrant pyakurel
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2019

sambhrant pyakurel , Sep 14, 2019 :
    Maybe he wanted a phone from OnePlus itself because these phones are crazy good. Its not that he DIDNT KNOW about sd card not being there, its just that he and everyone else wants an sd card slot. There maybe people who want it even if it is slow. Just because one feature isnt there, we should ignore the other excellent aspects of the product‍♂️.

8. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 14, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Sep 14, 2019 :
    Why are you replying to a thread that had been dead for more than a year?

9. sambhrant pyakurel
    Cupcake Sep 15, 2019

sambhrant pyakurel , Sep 15, 2019 :
    cuz i just saw it‍♂️

10. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 15, 2019

11. sambhrant pyakurel
    Cupcake Sep 15, 2019

12. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 15, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Sep 15, 2019 :
    You went dragging like they dragging up a river bed. Don't dig up old threads.

13. sambhrant pyakurel
    Cupcake Sep 15, 2019

sambhrant pyakurel , Sep 15, 2019 :
    i had searched this no sd card question and this came up. ‍♂️

14. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Sep 15, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Sep 15, 2019 :
    And your point is..?

15. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 15, 2019

There is none. The amount of new phones that has SD card slots is a downward trend. No amount of discussion will change that.

16. Mr_Cyrox
    KitKat Sep 15, 2019

Mr_Cyrox , Sep 15, 2019 :
    Naturally, but I like to see what people think they're talking about regardless on how stupid it can be
    So they can be corrected
    And they can take it how they want idk

17. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 15, 2019

SD card slots will be a thing of the past like the FM antenna.

18. I1569813945548
    Cupcake Sep 30, 2019

I1569813945548 , Sep 30, 2019 :
    Yeah it's kind of annoying when something so trivial ruins something, why buy a new phone when I can stick with what I have and not lose my 100s of GB of stuff I have saved, it's not even just about not having the storage space but not having a convenient way to move data without having to redownload it not to mention how convenient it is to be able to carry around your long term storage

19. Waveform Modifier
    Marshmallow Sep 30, 2019

Waveform Modifier , Sep 30, 2019 :
    Go find yourself a OnePlus X than. That's the only OnePlus devices that has a SD card slot. Not even the OnePlus 1 has one.