Why one plus X has poor performance (personal opinion)

1. aj7400
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 27, 2015

aj7400 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    I personally feel that oneplus X performance has been kept down intentionally..

If they increase the performance , we know it might perform equal to oneplus 2 .. ( because snapdragon 810 throttles and after continues usage the performance and benchmarks are at par with oneplus x)

So in order to protect their flagship device i.e oneplus 2

The one plus X is like that..

What i think is when custom roms like cyanogen comes with reletively stable versions .. The real power of oneplus x will come out..

So they have done it like that :
    Op2 - performance
    Opx- beauty

Well thats a personal opinion ...

Comments are welcome.

Peace.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

2. fgrhuhrg

3. aj7400

aj7400 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Thats what i said. Opx has almost same hardware as opo. And if optimized like opo . opx will beat op2 at a much lower price.

brittonraya and fgrhuhrg like this.
  4. matsby
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2015

matsby , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Probably it will be better if there are some well optimized custom roms/kernels that can fix the performance. I pretty sure the phone can do much more.

brittonraya likes this.
  5. aj7400

aj7400 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Yes it can do alot more... But oneplus is restricting it to perform at full capacity ..

Thats the reason we cant play even asphalt 8 with stock settings

brittonraya likes this.
  6. MidnightDreary
    Eclair Nov 27, 2015

MidnightDreary , Nov 27, 2015 :
    I think these phones are marketed towards two different groups of people.

On one hand you have a good entry level phone with adequate performance and emphasis on being stylish and importantly a small form factor. The fact that you can pay $100 extra for an almost identical looking variant with 0% spec increase should speak volumes about the target audience. People who consider this will also consider the zte Blade S7, Xiamoi mi 4c, lenovo vibe S1

The Op2 is in that phablet/large-normal phone category. It's probably too big for many people if it's their first smartphone. It's more future proof since it has a fingerprint scanner, octacore chip, (etc) but is still relatively inexpensive. It's more likely to be pitted against the Moto X variants.

Ceasedd likes this.
  7. atiq.qasim.12
    Honeycomb Nov 27, 2015

8. aj7400

aj7400 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Definately ..but in regular long performance op2 will be at par with snapdragon 801..
    Thermal throttling disables some cores?

9. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

elanglois , Nov 27, 2015 :
    This is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. They have an underclocked (to conserve battery because the battery is much smaller) 801 and you think it should perform like an 810?

And you think the 810 has throttling issues? It throttles at 75C like the rest. People ***** when it hits the high 40s. You have to.be doing some serious computing to get the 810 to throttle. Look at the CPU frequency while running a benchmarks and you'll see if it throttles during the test. There is no way it throttles due to heat at 'continuous usage' unless your usage is Google Cardboard.

If the 801 was as fast as the 810, why would they make an 810? Are you just looking to acuse OnePlus of something?

OPX is a budget phone. Its CPU is slower because its an older and slower model with design concessions made accordingly.

10. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

And if the OP2 were optimized like the OPO ...

Ismael Bakshi likes this.
  11. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

NO.

Your phone ALWAYS has cores disabled and the frequency reduced, depending on the needs of the system. If it didn't it would melt, no matter what the chip. You need a high load and a high number of threads active to have all cores on, especially on the OP2

Thermal throttling reduces the maximum CPU frequency to a level that won't cause additional heat gains (a net zero thermal) once your CPU hits 75C. Its not perfect and I've seen 76C. It is VERY rare to see a CPU hit that high, but I do insane things like Google Cardboard while mirracasting the screen in 3D to a 3D TV. That keeps the CPU, GPU, and WiFI radio at Max, most of the sensors on, and the phone in a poorly vented plastic box. That's why it hits 75C.

Ismael Bakshi likes this.
  12. aj7400

aj7400 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Well run antutu benchmark 5 times continuesly on your oneplus 2.

Come back here and post some screenshots of the results...

I have seen antutu benchmarks scores of op2 below 45k due to throttling .. ( well i live in a hot climate area )

butaixyz8016 likes this.
  13. MaxLikesTurtles
    Jelly Bean Nov 27, 2015

14. mwayner
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

mwayner , Nov 27, 2015 :
    I made a thread a while back (something with Cat H), and posted videos, where the OP2 was continuously benchmarked for an hour. Have a gander and remove these delusions from your mind.

Spliffman and elanglois like this.
  15. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

A benchmark is hardly "continuous use". More like continuous abuse. Buy me a OP2 and I'll do as you ask, then send it to jgcaap so he can port his ROM

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

Still apples and oranges since the OPX is using known hardware and the OP2 is missing some stuff. Use OP2's released kernel and I would say that the OP2 should win hands down.

17. mwayner
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2015

mwayner , Nov 27, 2015 :
    Oh, here are the videos. Wishful thinking about the OP2 doesn't reflect reality.

Spliffman likes this.
  18. wowwhataname
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2015

wowwhataname , Nov 27, 2015 :
    I don't know what it is... When I recieved my OPX few days back. I hated it. It wasn't optimized. I even made a ticket to return it.
    But since yesterday when I cleared the cache, the phone is running awesomely smooth. I'm just debating whether to return it or not.

19. Spliffman
    KitKat Nov 27, 2015

Spliffman , Nov 27, 2015 :
    I havent done 5, but I have run my OP2 for 4 consecutive Antutu benchmarks and got these results 56,766; 56,249; 58,292; 56,813. AND guess what, the phone was barely warm at the end, just barely. I didn't do it to prove anything to anybody, did it out of my own curiosity, but I could have kept going because the phone was only so slightly warm. No appreciable drop in scores, actually went up on the third one.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

20. Prykie1995
    Froyo Nov 27, 2015

Prykie1995 , Nov 27, 2015 :
    The X won't perform better than the OP2. That's a given. Though I definitely agree it's not performing anywhere near it's full potential. Gaming is very choppy at all graphical stress levels, even basic 3d environments. Hearing news of custom ROMs improving this drastically, does give me hope. If Oneplus don't fix it by the marshmallow OTA then a custom ROM will have to go on my X.

pra_veenm likes this.