Why oneplus 7 pro has corning gorilla glass 5 instead of 6

1. Vastator
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

Vastator , Jun 4, 2019 :
    6T also Has newest cgg. So far it is the biggest complain for me in oneplus7 pro:(

2. Spelt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 5, 2019

Spelt , Jun 5, 2019 :
    The average person you see walking down the street using a phone has a much higher chance of dropping a phone than most other circumstances.

3. mackmiller974
    Froyo Jun 5, 2019

mackmiller974 , Jun 5, 2019 :
    All glass phones are very fragile and break easily. If you own a Glass Phone then putting on a case is a must.

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  4. Schafer
    US Brand Ambassador Jun 5, 2019

Schafer , Jun 5, 2019 :
    I believe that it's both gorilla glass 5 on the front and back because of the 7 Pro's curved display

5. Mahender Adati
    Cupcake Nov 11, 2019

Mahender Adati , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Due i too have asus zenfone max pro m1., This phone doesn't even have Gorilla glass., It's successor max pro m2 have Gorilla glass., Do your research again.,

6. akks
    Jelly Bean Dec 28, 2019

akks , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Interesting to note that front glass of OnePlus 7 and 6T are GG6 whereas 6, 7pro, 7T are GG5 in the front as per Corning website. 7T pro hasn't been mentioned there, though I read somewhere else that 7Tpro has GG6 in the front. So it isn't exactly the curved screen factor, but something else which makes OnePlus take this decision.
    Weird to see older devices with newer glass and newer ones with older glass. I would have preferred drop protection over scratch protection anyday considering the price for screen replacement.

CGG_OnePlus6.jpg
    OnePlus 6

CGG_OnePlus6T.jpg
    OnePlus 6T

CGG_OnePlus-7.jpg
    Oneplus 7

CGG_OnePlus-7pro.jpg
    Oneplus 7pro

CGG_OnePlus_7t.jpg
    OnePlus 7T

(Photos from Corning website)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019

7. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Glass breaks if it gets a hit with enough force behind it. It's all about the force. Peak force a mm² can get vary greatly. When dropping the phone you can only hope for the impact to get dampened or get spread out as evenly as possible.

Adding curves and rounded corners with minimal bezels and minimal frames to take the hit never does anything good when it comes to drop resistance. More bad hitpoints. More weaknesses. Less efficient ways to protect with bumper cases...nothing good ever comes out of this besides good looks.

Budruel likes this.