Why OnePlus should wait

1. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

TDroid074 , Apr 16, 2015 :
    Hey guys, so there has been a reliable article stating that OnePlus is planning on releasing two phones this year, the two in Q3 and another budget phone later on in the year. IMO I think that more time is needed for OnePlus to develop their phone. I think that OnePlus is releasing another phone because of pressure from competitors and users. However, I really hope OnePlus takes more time to optimize their young OS with more features that can attract consumers. It faces strong competition in both developed and emerging markets but in a consumer market, quality is key along with distinctive features. Also if OnePlus plans on selling their flagships at cost or with thin margins, more time needs to be invested in developing software features that can provide the company with a steady revenue stream. What are your opinions on what this company is doing

Here's the article:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/04/15/oneplus-two-new-smartphones/

pelijaw, Peter8169, divieira and 9 others like this.
  2. lostLambda
    Lollipop Apr 16, 2015

3. Skf123
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2015

Skf123 , Apr 16, 2015 :
    They need to wait until snapdragon 815/820, the 810 has been a big flop.

4. gmo8492
    Lollipop Apr 16, 2015

gmo8492 , Apr 16, 2015 :
    OnePlus can't afford to wait they have keep going while the company still has momentum, they already laid out their plans for the next iteration of the next OnePlus flagship and they have said despite thin margins they managed to turn a profit which was not expected in their first year. Their whole ambition was not to make money their first few years in business and they plan to ship 3 times what they currently sold this past year in the number of smartphone sold.

awadi888, madmike95, Scarchee and 2 others like this.
  5. bsquirrell
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

bsquirrell , Apr 16, 2015 :
    I agree, if they go the route of Nexus and release a phone costing lots of $$$$$ they will lose market share, and a cheap phone won't appeal to the original buyers and fans of one plus. The reason most of us went to this phone is because of it's premium specs at a reasonable price.

dev@rshi, DrJMun, hegyestomi and 5 others like this.
  6. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

I definitely agree, what do you think about the Two coming out soon? Is it too soon? Or is it the right time to refresh the flagship?

7. Skf123
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2015

Skf123 , Apr 16, 2015 :
    They should really release it at the same time as they did the One but this year i think they need to wait for a better qualcomm chipset (there is no way Samsung will sell them the exynos 7420), q3 doesn't sound so bad though.

TakeMyMoney and siocnarf13 like this.
  8. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

I can definitely see that, the big caveat here is that the One came with cyanogen which helped market the product. Also OnePlus has always been about designing quality products and with a new OS, I think they need to develop it further. In the long run, it will be a better overall product which will attract consumers

9. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

JElder , Apr 16, 2015 :
    What do you think they've been doing since the One was released? R&D.

Walkin_mn likes this.
  10. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

I definitely agree, the 810 is unreliable and Samsung probably patented their Exynos chip. I can see your point on needing to release a phone soon but in order to maintain momentum it needs to deliver a solid product like the One while maintaining a reasonable price point.

Ya zee likes this.
  11. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

Yea I figure but is it R&D on both the hardware and software or just hardware. Last year OnePlus had Cyanogen to develop the software. Where is the competitive advantage now for the software side of things

12. et121677
    Froyo Apr 16, 2015

13. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

JElder , Apr 16, 2015 :
    They are developing software in house now. That's the easy part. Cyanogen isn't an advantage, it's more of a preference. They are going to loose some street cred for not being backed by cyanogen, but most people are just going to flash custom Roms anyway.

Walkin_mn likes this.
  14. Walkin_mn
    Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2015

Walkin_mn , Apr 16, 2015 :
    Uhm, the OS is good, stable and light, the hardware is what they need to tweak, the touchscreen issues looks like a hardware problem,that and their support system.

15. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

Cyanogen needed to take time to develop their software to what it is today and not to mention OnePlus still needs to find another source of revenue as well as diversify their product mix. Furthermore, OnePlus needs to grow beyond the developer community to capture market share. That means consumers who don't know how to flash ROMs so a competitive OS and software features is key.

hegyestomi and Ya zee like this.
  16. TDroid074
    Gingerbread Apr 16, 2015

But what is the distinct feature that separates it from stock Android? Consumers will think about that. For a growing company in a highly competitive market, anything that can set OnePlus apart will help

17. apersonnamedmike
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

apersonnamedmike , Apr 16, 2015 :
    I don't think they've just been sitting on their butts waiting for the release day to start R&D. I think that the reason why we don't hear about it so much is that they are working on it more behind the scenes until they feel that its reliable enough to do something with. I personally have had little to no issue with any aspect of the phone, but when I did have issues, it was usually in cyanogenmod. I'm glad they have an 'in-house' option that people can use (i realize that the op2 will probably ship with O2os). I think that if they want to compete with the rest of the industry that they have a good timeline for the product overall. There will always be a reason why anyone should wait, but that's no reason to not do the best with what's available.

That being said, I do realize that this company is not a perfect company, and while I have had no issues with my phone, there's plenty who have had major issues - some of which have not been fixed. I think that if OnePlus can play their cards right, they can make the op2 work well for them and boost them a bunch, but that's if they play their cards right.

TDroid074 likes this.
  18. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

JElder , Apr 16, 2015 :

Cyanogen has been releasing their products even when they aren't perfect, as proof by the nightly realeses vs the stable ones, so what you're saying doesn't make complete sense.

If oneplus decided to diversify their product line this early in the game, they would be spending countless dollars on more R&D for a product they haven't established a consumer base for. They already sell cases, apperal, powerbanks, phones, and other accessories. The cost of manufacturing this phone has dropped drastically since it's release so their margins are considerably better.

TDroid074 likes this.
  19. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2015

JElder , Apr 16, 2015 :

Most consumers aren't thinking about that. Their OS has the same customization features as cyanogen, and far more than any other flagship. What most customers think about is the price and what it looks like.

20. Android the Greek
    Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2015