Why the iPhone gives great performance with such low specs?

1. abirsinha
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2014

abirsinha , Dec 4, 2014 :
    Android acts like an appendage but Apple seems to have intertwined hardware and software.

Though the customization is very limited I feel Apple nailed it when it comes to the superfluous interface..

The RAM management is also a key issue here. Android requires its garbage collection algorithm to undergo a complete overhaul.
    Nexus 5 is acting like a phone on weed with the latest Android Lollypop update.

#ANDROIDROCKS

2. ScytheDX
    Froyo Dec 4, 2014

ScytheDX , Dec 4, 2014 :
    Haven't seen this answer yet so I'll leave it here...

It's called single-core performance.

Apple's CPUs can do MUCH more per clock than any Snapdragon CPU. A 1 Ghz Apple Core would be equal to maybe a 2.5 Ghz Snap Core.

Apple's GPUs are also very fast, even if their clock doesn't show it.

So the iPhone 6s 1.4 Ghz A8 would be an equivalent to a 3.2 Ghz Snap Core (which doesn't exist).

Now, the Snap may beat the iPhone in certain MULTICORE operations, but this will be rare.

Add that to software optimization, and you get a very snappy phone, at a tremendous price.

I'm still an Android fanboy at heart, but I cannot deny facts. Apple's CPUs will always give the snappier feel.

ramsabi, chinny562 and varied_boy like this.
  3. drusutton96
    Froyo Dec 4, 2014

ramsabi likes this.
  4. Muzza42
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2014

Muzza42 , Dec 4, 2014 :
    I owned iPhone 3GS, 4 & 5 until I discovered Android; after all, they did invent the smartphone.
    Sure, they do a lot more with a lot less due to their smart architecture and the clever use of hardware and optimized software, but once I discovered the freedom of Android, there was no turning back.
    Apple boffins refused to be told what to do by those pesky customers; look at how long it took them to increase their screen size by a reasonable margin, even tho the market was showing them how much people wanted it.
    It's funny how prohibitive their software philosophy is. I even found Snow Leopard to be too restrictive for me - and that was coming from Windows!
    Peace.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

5. amartens181
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

amartens181 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Yeah... I don't see how they don't see some of the errors until it is released :(

6. n_s_maverick
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2014

n_s_maverick , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Welll iPhone is an iPhone... and if you don't have an iPhone ...then you don't have an iPhone.

varied_boy likes this.
  7. Muzza42
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

Muzza42 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Man, that is insightful.

StuartTonkin and varied_boy like this.
  8. n_s_maverick
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2014

9. PhoenixFeather
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

10. CarDusan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2014

CarDusan , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I wanted to spill my answer all over but I changed my mind... if you do 10 minute research on the internet you will be able to answer your question...

In short, Apple iOS is very limited, slow interface, lack of innovation and ideas since Steve departed and no matter what Apple does now, they are finished in the mobile world. Their strategy in Macintosh world has limited them to 5% of computers in the world, what makes you think they are not limiting themselves the same way in mobile tech world... They banked on iPod / music service, and brand as a brand... but nothing new came out of apple in the last several years... what they are doing is sucking on an old Tit.

11. Nettwerk
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

Nettwerk , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Well let me join in this thread. I have something to tell you.
    First. Apple has own system and own device. Like Sun/Solaris. Where is the secret. It is more easy to develop/optimize system for device what comes from one company.
    Second. Apple uses 64Bit Dual Core CPU. It is and it will be faster than 32Bit CPU. If you have whole system developed for 64Bit than less emulation required. What is a problem in Android side? Dalvik, Dalvik, Dalvik and forever Dalvik. If you are developer probably you love JAVA. I never ever loved and I'll never love JAVA. Its required JRE. What on Android this is Dalvik. Maybe I'm wrong. Emulation, emulation, emulation. JAVA is slow no sense how fast is your device, ram, cpu it will be slow. Google I'm still waiting when you remove JAVA support from Android.
    Third. Well some people will tell me you are wrong. But there is some things what does it work in real world. Apple iPhone has 64Bit CPU. Thats ok. 1Gb RAM wait... Where is the problem? This is just marketing. If you want full 64Bit CPU power to get then you need minimum as 4Gb RAM. Otherway it is useless. 32Bit CPU supports up to xGb RAM. Technically x*- less then 4Gb.
    Finally. If you want to change something Android side, then: 1. Rewrite Android from scratch. Give to device companies minimum specs, like Microsoft does. 2. Disable any JAVA. 3. Optimize system for minimum specs what is required for fluent, fast system running.

12. kibbt5224
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2014

kibbt5224 , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Not really tbh lol iPhone single core does 2x more the amount than opo that only 1 core.

13. rikzel
    Gingerbread Dec 5, 2014

rikzel , Dec 5, 2014 :
    Yeah I know man :( very sad that such a good system has so many bugs

14. ramsabi
    Jelly Bean Dec 5, 2014

ramsabi , Dec 5, 2014 :
    That IS the point I guess the OP is making.

omiroks likes this.
  15. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Dec 5, 2014

StuartTonkin , Dec 5, 2014 :

@emaren @kanfos :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

16. missy.wyman
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2014

missy.wyman , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I would never go to apple because apple phones are not that great at all because my uncle had and iPhone and it died after 6 months and then he went to an android phone. I love android over apple phones any day.

17. The Earl of Twatshire
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

The Earl of Twatshire , Dec 5, 2014 :
    I'm afraid that the answer to this question is very simple. I cannot understand why this had led to such a interesting debate, which I didn't read.

The answer is thus.

The Iphone is a product of Apple, which we all know is a corporate front for THE DEVIL HIMSELF! all products are powered and run by his infernal power and every time you touch a Apple product you give away a portion of your soul.

He then uses this sliver of your soul to power and improve his products, which increase his satanic influence on the earth, Forming a vicious cycle of apple fans parting with their rmoney and immortal souls and the eventual rise to power of the dark lord himself!

I thought everyone knew that?

18. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Dec 5, 2014

I suggested it was magic pixie dust.. earlier in thread.

The Earl of Twatshire likes this.
  19. The Earl of Twatshire
    KitKat Dec 5, 2014

The Earl of Twatshire , Dec 5, 2014 :
    While a good observation good sir, I'm afraid the truth is a little more sinister..

Satan

StuartTonkin likes this.
  20. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Dec 5, 2014

The silicon and software are developed together.. bred like a stallion horse.. or a royal blood line..

Android is like the girl who sleep with anyone at school. Promiscuious, easy to install and cheap.