Why would you buy/not buy the OnePlus 7 Pro?

1. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 4, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Here’s why I didn’t buy the OnePlus 7 Pro,@Crystal Z. (and team)

I’m sure the device is beautiful and the hardware really has a couple of new features I would love to try. However, I didn’t feel comfortable paying 749€ from my hard earned cash.

Since the OnePlus One, the company had a couple of problems with hardware and the official statements were not perfect. I’m sure it evolved since then, but the OnePlus 7 Pro still shows what a company shouldn’t do when a couple of problems arise.

What I wanted - or, more accurately - what I needed was an official thread from OnePlus stating all the problems the device was facing and, more importantly, what was being done, assuring customers it was software related, apologizing, but assuring they were going to be fixed and that the fans will be taken care of.

I’m here on the forums a lot and I’ve read a couple of messages from Staff Members inside a couple of threads. Meanwhile, the press were writing more and more headlines with the problems they were finding. A potential customer is not going to read all those threads - because they probably never visited the forums before.

More: when things go wrong, you shouldn’t have people wondering if it is hardware or not, if they will have to return the device or not and if after the 15 days period is over, if OnePlus is going to take the device back if the problem persists.

A message clear, visible and reassuring: “Hey, we know the OnePlus 7 Pro is having these problems. All of them are fixable, all of them are being worked on. If you buy one device from us today, you’ll be able to do this, this and this if you are not satisfied. You can trust us on this one and you can quote us after this post”.

The members who spend hours and hours on the forums know how many threads were created with doubts. I can blame them for not reading, sure, but I also expected a message that was visible without searching.

I’m sure OnePlus as a brand is more powerful than ever, however, loyalty will always stop when people are spending their money; loyalty will be crushed when the doubts grow day by day.

Looking at the OnePlus 5 my brother bought on launch day, I’m always reminded of how a hardware problem can be a sensible subject to OnePlus. I have bought several devices after that, however, you really need to make the customers feel that behind a great device is a great support team if/when things are not as shiny as the promo shots.

That’s why I didn’t feel comfortable buying a OnePlus 7 Pro. Next time, be as transparent as you can from the first day or you’ll feed the stigma that started when the OnePlus One had a yellow screen and the dance the company did to avoid dealing with it.

OnePlus grew a lot since then, make your fans and customers understand it grew past the “Buy Now” button.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

2. Jahanvi123 Donut Jun 4, 2019

Jahanvi123, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I would not buy one plus 7 pro because of the camera setup that can be more advanced and i dont actually believe in pop set up of cameras. Other reasons are - The speaker system which i used once in pop event i didnt really like the sound.
    I hope one plus do better and make an inbuilt camera set up cause i know you guys can.

david_nehr and G_plusone like this.
  3. Jahanvi123 Donut Jun 4, 2019

Jahanvi123, Jun 4, 2019 :
    what form?

4. jaivaghela Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 4, 2019

jaivaghela, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Done. Got the OP7 Pro. Absolutely love the phone, especially the screen, but unfortunately as of now the camera is a bit of a let down in a lot of areas, maybe some good software fixes can bring it up to scratch.

5. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

6. theshinybeast Marshmallow Jun 4, 2019

7. B1518633950830 Eclair Jun 4, 2019

B1518633950830, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Low weight, Less dimension: Every brand has a hobby of increasing thier model dimensions with each model. Its kind of disappointing since the pockets are decent standard size and mobiles are vulnerable to bend. Many customers are likely to buy decent sized phones irrespective of its specs, all they needed is alround handy smartphones. Considering OnePlus, if they provide same model with comparitively small dimensions (5 to 5.5 inch display), definitely the customer demand and satisfaction will increase. I'm currently using op 5t in india, i have to use both hands most of the times and wieght sucks. I bought OP 5T for same price as this OP 7, i think its a good deal.

8. Fixxer Froyo Jun 4, 2019

Fixxer, Jun 4, 2019 :
    For me, the OnePlus 7 sound like a better deal than the Pro version. Pros and cons have been enumerated throughout the topic.

Do you guys know if the 7 standard will be available in other colors? I already have a black 6 and I'm thinking to switch colors at least since they are so similar in terms of design :)

V1559885975443 likes this.
  9. YRJ Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

YRJ, Jun 4, 2019 :
    I was exactly on point! :p

G_plusone likes this.
  10. ben franklin Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  11. SeanPlus Honeycomb Jun 4, 2019

12. Tindo10 Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

13. S Ashok sha Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

14. Raj@Rishi Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

15. tlxxxsracer Froyo Jun 4, 2019

tlxxxsracer, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Wouldn't buy:
    Expensive, curved screen, poor camera performance, hardware/software issues, phone is huge and heavy

Would buy:
    Smoothness, screen brightness/colors

M Barmby likes this.
  16. J_Duece_81 Froyo Jun 4, 2019

J_Duece_81, Jun 4, 2019 :
    Would not buy because of the pop-up camera and curved display. If it didn't have that camera I might consider it.

17. Non Rumor Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

18. VentureJohnny Eclair Jun 4, 2019

VentureJohnny, Jun 4, 2019 :
    bought it:

because of
    the screen;
    the speed;
    near stock android OS;
    1+ update policy;
    I don't care about the camera;
    the good looks, hot colour;

the link does not work...

19. X1559398855015 Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

X1559398855015, Jun 4, 2019 :
    buy (bought already actually):

1) the large, AMOLED display and phone design: absolutely gorgeous and immediately imparts a premium, flagship feel
    2) 90hz refresh rate making simple phone usage an absolute joy due to the fluidity
    3) Oxygen OS is a well thought out android skin. BEST UI PERIOD.
    4) lack of bloatware typical in other android

not buy:

1) no expandable storage
    2) headphone jack (distant second)
    3) glass back (beautiful btw) but no wireless charging (risk of damage for a non-functionally driven feature is questionable)
    4) no LED notification (sustained, not just a one time blink)
    5) Battery could be better ( but WARP CHARGE IS SUPER)

20. Matt 80 Lollipop Jun 4, 2019

Matt 80, Jun 4, 2019 :
    But I've never picked up at 6t so I can't use that as a comparison.

Shivang Joshi likes this.