Wi-Fi Calling dropping on OnePlus7 Pro (T-Mobile)

1. AZLeatherneck Eclair Jun 27, 2019

AZLeatherneck, Jun 27, 2019 :
    I don't see the same quality from post processing in 5.7 TMO either even 5.7 INT smokes TMOs firmware camera wise. also 3.4+ apk is WAY past the 3.2.106 that's in the global firmware no going to just install random apks and screw with updates and stuff no thanks been there done that back in the Cyanogen days

2. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jun 27, 2019

spdsk8race1, Jun 27, 2019 :
    you can always pull the APK from the international variant

3. topstan Eclair Jul 9, 2019

topstan, Jul 9, 2019 :
    Or if you are at my house which in spite of being just a few miles from the heart of Silicon Valley, has on network service.

4. topstan Eclair Jul 10, 2019

topstan, Jul 10, 2019 :
    In an attempt to pull this thread back on topic, which is "Wi-Fi Calling dropping on OnePlus7 Pro (T-Mobile)", let me say that I also have this problem and have made some comments on other threads concerning this problem. In general, my observation is that it occurs so far just on phones where T-Mobile is the carrier. But this is not surprising as T-Mobile is one of the few carriers that support wifi calling on phones they don't sell (other than iphones) and T-Mobile is selling the OnePlus 7 Pro in the US. It also seems to happen when you are in a local that does not have a network signal. If you are in an area that has a network signal, you can move away from wifi and it will switch to network while maintaining wifi calling. If you then move back to wifi, it attaches to the router and you do not lose wifi call. But if there is no network signal and you move away from wifi, obviously you lose everything for a time. When you move back to wifi, the wifi comes back, but the wifi calling does not about 80-90% of the time. The only thing that reliably restores it is a reboot of the phone, which is a pain. I have reported the problem and provided logs to OnePlus support, but they seem to think it is a T-Mobile problem. Maybe... but I just switched back to my OnePlus 5 and after 30 hours of test have not seen the problem. Others have reported earlier phones do not show the problem.

noah hatton likes this.
  5. AZLeatherneck Eclair Jul 12, 2019

AZLeatherneck, Jul 12, 2019 :
    I have done WAY to much testing of this with my OP7P, gone back and forth from TMO rom to INT rom so many times I have had to call my bank to clear my cards so google pay would accept my card again. Bottom line all the times I thought I had corrected it with the INT rom it fails within 2 days max. However IF I run the TMO rom it works as expected. The problem with that is other than the VoWiFi I hate the TMO rom it sucks! I do NOT have this issue with any other non TMO phone that can do VoWiFi

6. topstan Eclair Jul 12, 2019

topstan, Jul 12, 2019 :
    If anyone is experiencing this loss of wifi calling who is not using T-Mobile, I would be interested to hear about it. For the present I am beginning the problem is on the T-Mobile side and we should be calling them. I do not discount that OnePlus may be involved in some way or that they might be able to provide a solution, but pretty much everyone I see who has this problem is also using T-Mobile and from what I see on the T-Mobile site, it is not specific to OnePlus phones. Here is a rundown of the problem as I have seen it:

T-Mobile Wifi Calling Problem

1. In an area that has no network signal (my home), I can use wifi calling on my OnePlus 7 Pro and it works fine until I leave the range of my router. At that point, I have as you would guess, no wifi and no wifi calling. If I then return to the range of the router, I get the wifi back, but the wifi calling does not return. This is not 100%. Sometimes wifi calling returns and sometimes I can force it to return by toggling Airplane mode. But, at best that only works maybe 10% of the time.

2. What always brings wifi calling back is restarting the phone, but that is a pain and while wifi calling is out I am missing calls.

3. In an area where there IS network service, I never see this problem. With the phone set for a preference for wifi calling I can leave the range of the router and return and wifi calling is never lost and it properly switches from network to wifi calling.

4. The problem is documented on both the OnePlus and T-Mobile forums, but I believe it is a T-Mobile problem as people with phones other than OnePlus are reporting it on T-Mobile.

5. Many solutions are suggested and I have pretty much tried them all. Different router settings; different phone settings; hard resets; getting a new Sim from T-Mobile. So far nothing has worked.

6. I wonder about some of these solutions because almost anything you try that might require restarting the phone may seem to work for awhile and then it rather quickly goes back to failure.

7. The problem MAY not occur on iphones, but I otherwise love my OnePlus 7 Pro and don’t feel like spending a minimum of $800 for an iphone to find out.

8. Switching to another carrier is not a particularly attractive option either as many other carriers won’t even support wifi calling on phones (other than apple) that they don’t sell.

9. Obviously, if anyone thinks they have a real, lasting solution I would be happy to hear about it.

7. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Jul 13, 2019

spdsk8race1, Jul 13, 2019 :
    it's missing the apn when you reconnect, reboot the phone and when you connect to WiFi calling check your apn settings, later when you connect back and it doesn't show, go look at your apn settings again and you'll see one is missing.

8. topstan Eclair Jul 13, 2019

topstan, Jul 13, 2019 :
    You are quite correct. When I have wifi calling, I show three apn (Access Point Names): T-Mobile LTE, EPDG MMS/XCAP and T-Mobile Emergency. When I lose wifi calling, EPDG MMS/XCAP is missing. I tried adding an apn that was a duplicate of EPDG MMS/XCAP to see if that would be a fix, but it did not prevent the loss of wifi calling. If you or anyone else have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

spdsk8race1 likes this.
  9. ZRXINLA Donut Jul 16, 2019

ZRXINLA, Jul 16, 2019 :
    still connects then disconnects. connects then disconnects, connects then disconnects..........co.....the....dis.........getting dizzy.

Steven_Petrillo likes this.
  10. catskinsox Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

catskinsox, Jul 16, 2019 :
    Hi, I just wanted to chime in and say I'm having this same issue. T-Mobile stock, Oxygen OS 9.5.8.GM31CB. I've pretty much tried all the same stuff mentioned here, but no go. Only fix is a reboot.

11. topstan Eclair Jul 16, 2019

topstan, Jul 16, 2019 :
    Yes, you have the bug. Thanks for letting me know. I urge you to report this to T-Mobile since you are their customer. I have corresponded with OnePlus tech support and they say the think it's a T-Mobile problem. I spoke to T-Mobile and they said they "officially" don't support phones that they didn't sell (I got mine direct from OnePlus). They helped me, but provided no solution. Personally, I suspect it's a problem that either OnePlus or T-Mobile could fix since the problem doesn't happen on my OP5 which I still have (currently inactive) or my wife's iphone. Ideally they should work together since T-Mobile is selling the phones.

12. catskinsox Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Ok, here is something interesting that I just tried: First, my wifi setup is that I have the main router in the living room and a wireless access point in my bedroom (which is hardwired by ethernet under the house all the way to the main router). So it's not in extender mode, but in access point mode (just wanted to be as clear as I can). And both the router and the access point are set up to use the same SSID.

So all the time that this has been happening to me, I've noticed that when I return home, my phone tends to pick up on the main router in the living room instead of my access point. And I get the ER04 - DNS Error problem and no wifi calls. They are, of course, on the same network, so it shouldn't be an issue. But after I posted my earlier message I started thinking about that. So I decided to try changing the SSID of my access point to a different name, and then told my phone to forget the original network and only connect to my access point (which is where I would want it 99.99% of the time). I wanted to make sure that when I returned, my phone would pick up the very wifi point that I left.

And so I went down the road a bit in the car to get out of wifi range, turned around and came back... and Wifi calling reconnected! I decided to then drive out a bit farther (just to stay disconnected for a while longer), came back about 10 minutes later... and wifi calling reconnected!

Now this, by no means, is a definite "fix", but considering this happened EVERY SINGLE TIME I left Wifi and came back with the DNS Error before, it is at least promising. I'll need to keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if the problem returns. I'll do that and report back with any new info. But I wonder if any of you in this thread may have a similar setup where you have multiple access points (either with or without the same SSID). Maybe that is the issue? Maybe it currently has to reconnect to the same wifi point it left on a specific network? We'll see.

I want to keep doing some tests to see if I can be more specific in a bug report before reporting it to T-Mobile or OnePlus.

13. ZRXINLA Donut Jul 16, 2019

ZRXINLA, Jul 16, 2019 :
    I don't think so. I go to multiple locations with only one router and it still does it.

14. catskinsox Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Well, that sucks. But I don't know why it's working for me all of the sudden.

15. ZRXINLA Donut Jul 16, 2019

ZRXINLA, Jul 16, 2019 :
    it does that a awhile. but it's a trap lol

16. topstan Eclair Jul 17, 2019

topstan, Jul 17, 2019 :
    I have a single router. It has multiple access points and SSIDs but I only use the same one on my phone. Let us know if your luck keeps up. I have found the problem doesn't happen 100% of the time, so you could just be lucky. Strangely, I almost don't want to suggest this, but the last two times I have gone away from my house it came back automatically. There is always the chance that someone has been working on the problem. If so, it would be T-Mobile since the last OnePlus update didn't fix it. We can always hope.

17. topstan Eclair Jul 17, 2019

topstan, Jul 17, 2019 :
    Nope. No joy here. The problem with wifi calling is unchanged. After a couple of spontaneous connections, I am back to having to restart to get wifi calling back.

18. topstan Eclair Jul 18, 2019

topstan, Jul 18, 2019 :
    There is an Oxygen OS build 9.5.10, so far unannounced but available through the Oxygen Updater. I loaded it, but it does not address the wifi calling problem. Pretty much like 9.5.9. The double-tap to wake problem may be somewhat better.

19. ZRXINLA Donut Jul 18, 2019

ZRXINLA, Jul 18, 2019 :
    I wonder if others with the unlocked version using it on other U.S. carries are having this issue? or if it's just lucky folks on TMobile.....

20. topstan Eclair Jul 18, 2019

topstan, Jul 18, 2019 :
    That may be a difficult question to answer. To T-Mobile's credit, they may be the only carrier that does not block wifi calling to any phone (other than iphone) that they didn't sell you. I know that is or at least was the case with AT&T. That, in addition to the ridiculous pricing was the reason I left them. I don't know about Verizon. T-Mobile supposedly supports wifi calling if your phone supports it. BTW, the OP7 Pros purchase from T-Mobile have the same problem. I don't think there is any difference in the phones other than the T-Mobile phones are locked to T-Mobile until you have paid for them. Then they will unlock them and you may go where you will. If I'm wrong about this, someone with a T-Mobile vended phone can correct me. Since T-Mobile sold phones have the problem, you might think they would be motivated to fix it, or if it's not their fault, work with the company who's fault it is.

To make matters murkier, I have seen some indication browsing around other sites that this could be an Android Pie problem, so Google could be in the mix. The Appleoids would tell me to buy an iphone and my problem would be solved. Probably so, but then I would be selling my soul to the Ghost of Steve Jobs. For the time being I will just keep rebooting my phone, but eventually I need a smartphone that can reliably make phone calls. Not too much to ask.