[Submitted] WiFi Direct is broken in Android 10

1. adrianis_MD
    Froyo May 2, 2020

adrianis_MD , May 2, 2020 :
    WiFi Direct is broken in Android 10 Beta 1 and Beta 2.
    The apps and devices that use WiFi Direct:
    - Garmin Drive (for dashcams)
    - Sony Imaging Edge Mobile (for actioncams)
    After switching from Android 9 (where WiFi Direct was working good) to Android 10 Beta 1 and Beta 2, the WiFi Direct is not working reliable anymore.
    The connection isn't made untill manually connecting WiFi to the device's access point. A popup is showing with the correct device, but the connections drops in a loop.

Last edited: May 19, 2020

Anzik and jferraz like this.
  2. adrianis_MD
    Froyo May 19, 2020

adrianis_MD , May 19, 2020 :
    As i was trying to figure out a workaround, the Garmin Drive app updated, wich now detects that it's a OnePlus device and suggests to turn on "Auto switch to mobile data" option in Wi-Fi preferences.
    I also found this issue described on Garmin website:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=LSZMMIWGeDAuxY81TJ5627

Switching on "Auto switch to mobile data" option does indeed help and the smartphone connects to the device (dash cam) via Wi-Fi Direct. Still, not very reliable, if the smartphone is already connected to any WiFi network.
    Should i wait few seconds and the connection is lost and smartphone switches to mobile data again.

This was't an issue on Android 9.
    As the issue with Android 10 on OnePlus is described on Garmin site, i see this as a specific OnePlus issue.

I preffer not to keep the "Auto switch to mobile data" option on, as there is a risk to pass over monthly mobile data quota, if the WiFi network is not stable enough and i'm not aware that the smartphone switched to mobile data.

As requested, i've taked the logs with "Auto switch to mobile data" option off > on > off + screenshot when the problem happened.
    Also, for better understanding, i've screen recorded the issue and uploaded it to the Google Drive. Here is the link for logs, screenshot and video:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1wjd0yixK-uAaUCG4OufERPCHo8sbZjXp

Last edited: May 19, 2020

3. Anzik
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2020