[Submitted] WiFi fast bss transition FT (802.11r) not working after Android 10 update

1. Bogeyd
    Gingerbread Jan 1, 2020

Bogeyd , Jan 1, 2020 :
    I have multiple access point setup with 802.11r fast bss transition enabled. When walking between access points, ongoing connections gets disconnected. For example wifi calls and ssh connections breaks when roaming. Roaming used to work in Android Pie. Also works in OnePlus 3 191104.

matwolf08, kudosws and agybai like this.
  2. Bogeyd
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2020

Bogeyd , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Checked the wifi management traffic and the FT handshake is done properly.
    Looks like device makes DHCP request even device already had an IP address...
    DHCP should not be re-initiated if the reassociation was successful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020

kudosws likes this.
  3. kudosws
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

kudosws , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Im on a Oneplus 6 and experiencing exactly this problem too.

My phone never re-connects to wifi. If you look in the wifi settings of the phone when you roam between access points, it just says "obtaining IP address" and it never reconnects to wifi, until you actually turn wifi off and on again on the Oneplus.

In my case, I have an Asus router and an Asus Wifi extender.... Strangely, my phone will do the 1st swap from the Router to the Wifi Extender..... however when you roam out of reach of the Wifi Extender, thats it, it wont connect again to either the Router or the Wifi Extender, until you turn off and on again the Wifi on the Oneplus 6.

Obviously the huge concerns here are that:

- You get bad battery life, because your phone is always attempting to establish a wifi connection and re-trying to get an IP Address.
    - Your phone is switched onto the mobile data connection, so if youre watching Youtube videos or something thats heavy on network traffic AND you have a mobile data limit, you are going to eat up your data allowance pretty quickly... and you would never know (on full screen apps) that your phone isnt on your Wifi anymore.

Its very frustrating. Keeping my fingers crossed Oneplus look into this.

4. Bogeyd
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

5. P1577756714347
    Cupcake Oct 2, 2020

P1577756714347 , Oct 2, 2020 :
    Solved on my end; Open Beta 18. The issue is/was utsing 802.11r with 802.11w Management Frame Protection set to Optional or Required. For 802.11r to function properly on OOS Q you have to set 802.11w Management Frame Protection to disabled (default)

On OOS Pie 802.11w Management Frame Protection seems to work wine with 802.11w Management Frame Protection set to Optional or required.. So there is still a regression here and perhaps we need to open up another bug report.

6. matwolf08
    Froyo Oct 18, 2020

7. Lev772
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2021

Lev772 , Jan 29, 2021 :
    Out of curiosity, is the PMF/MFP a config option under settings? Under which menu?