WiFi keeps dropping on OnePlus 8 pro

1. Alijabbar01
    Donut Jul 16, 2020

Alijabbar01 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Yes guys i confirmed it this issue arises when Bluetooth is on.

please turn off your Bluetooth your issue will be resolved. i am on international firmware ( OnePlus 8 pro IN2020 ).

2. Michael.G.K
    Froyo Jul 16, 2020

Michael.G.K , Jul 16, 2020 :
    You can see the problem by...
    WiFi less than very strong (doesn't have to be marginal, just not very strong)
    1. Turn on 'WiFi'
    2. Turn Bluetooth and 'Mobile Data' off.
    3. Bring up a web page in a browser.
    4. Press power button to turn off screen then turn power button again to turn screen back on
    5. Refresh web page ... happens fast as you expect it to

6. Turn on Bluetooth
    7. press power button to turn off screen then turn power button again to turn screen back on
    8. Refresh web page ..... does not happen for ~30 seconds or it times out (sometimes you will see a ! next to the WiFi but not always but the page does not load)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

3. R1593607000735
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2020

R1593607000735 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    I am on 10.5.11.IN 11 DA . Facing the same problem. Did all that reset network, turn off bluetooth but the wifi has an exclamation mark and says no internet. Even though on all other devices the internet works fine. Please help. I don't have the MAC address option that a few users suggested. Restarting the device only brings temporary solution.

The issue arises less on 5Ghz than on 2.4Ghz

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020

4. Michael.G.K
    Froyo Jul 18, 2020

Michael.G.K , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Yes, I confirmed it is unrelated to the band by forcing the access point settings (to 2GHz and 5GHz only).
    I can't believe that more people are not complaining about this, especially as Bluetooth headphones/earbuds are becoming more popular.
    On the chance that it is just related to a few devices (low probability I admit), I'm returning my OP8P for a replacement before the 14 day window expires.
    I have filed a bug report and have sent device logs to OP ... lets see if it is addressed. My last experience with this process (with the OP6T), was not positive. It took more than 12 months to resolve (and was only fixed when it upgraded to Android 10)

5. Svendeurne
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2020

Svendeurne , Jul 18, 2020 :
    i have the same problem for the 3rd already time
    laptop is connected to the net but the phone not

6. qslig
    Froyo Jul 20, 2020

qslig , Jul 20, 2020 :
    The question is why isn't this fixed? It's basic functionality. The OP8 is my 5th oneplus and never had any kind of issues before. This is a huge disappointment. Another question would be why this hasn't been adressed by oneplus themselves?

7. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 20, 2020 :
    Wifi issues don't need to be universal. It can exist for certain type of configurations and network types. One report may not lead to a fix for a other user problem. So it can be important with logs for many different user cases. Eventually the problem is solved for all.

View attachment 1375780
    Report and try to catch logs for your specific situation.

8. Michael.G.K
    Froyo Jul 20, 2020

Michael.G.K , Jul 20, 2020 :
    This is an issue that should have been caught in Quality Assurance testing. Yes, there are a myriad of combinations to test but this one (Bluetooth & WiFi incompatibility) is not so unusual and would usually be found.
    If (and that's a big if) it is a software issue, then it may eventually be solved but there's a lot of good will (trust) that gets lost in the mean time.
    I presume many people don't notice this because they have good mobile coverage and don't notice WiFi drop outs (the data switches to mobile) bit I don't 8-(

9. Struiksma
    Donut Jul 21, 2020

10. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 21, 2020 :
    Guess there is one more brand to avoid then
    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...pping-WiFi-connection-constantly/td-p/1191065

And

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/2084769?hl=en

And

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...repeatedly-dropping-wi-fi-network-connections

And I can go on... [e]1f61c[/e]

Name one that never had issues for anyone.
    I might have some issue at work though. But that network has always been acting strange some days. And it seems better now.
    Some on the same home router as me had issues. With WPA2. Running WPA/WPA2 mode or WPA3 can solve it for some. Even recommended to try on other gear.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020

11. Michael.G.K
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

12. Jeffreeey
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2020

Jeffreeey , Jul 23, 2020 :
    I tried using my phone with Bluetooth disabled and I've had no issues with WiFi dropping.

Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon

13. yshrsmz
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2020

Swejuggalo likes this.
  14. Michael.G.K
    Froyo Jul 23, 2020

Michael.G.K , Jul 23, 2020 :
    Is that with Bluetooth enabled ?

15. yshrsmz
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2020

yshrsmz , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Yes, bluetooth enabled. I'm using a smartwatch.

While the new version does improved the connection stability, there are still some glitches. For example, switching to 2.5 GHz WiFi when 5 GHz connections is weak sometimes take a long time or simply doesn't work, and during that time I cannot use internet even though status icon says OP8 has a WiFi connection🤔

16. travle
    Donut Jul 24, 2020

travle , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 24, 2020 :
    I skimmed through this post to see if someone had what I am about to suggest. I didn't see anything so if I missed I apologize.

5Ghz is/was my problem on my phone. unstable and speeds so slow dialup could be faster. I noticed someone else discovered the underlying issue with Bluetooth being on. I had my router on channel 153. I discovered this phone on 5Ghz WiFi does not like channels 149 and 153. it connects but and works and really works when Bluetooth is off. so I messed around with selecting different channels. the ones I had success with were the UNII-1 Channels which are 36, 40, 44, & 48. and I also had luck with channels 52 and 56 I believe they were. anything above the channel 60 did not work. my 5Ghz works better now. I can keep a stable connection and speeds are greatly improved. the only thing that still sucks is the range. my $300 Samsung A50 could receive 5Ghz way farther than this phone. this is of course the US region your channels may differ.

17. Jeffreeey
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2020

Jeffreeey , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Hi, where are you able to see the options with the channels?

18. travle
    Donut Jul 25, 2020

travle , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 25, 2020 :
    I'm not sure what you mean by being able to see the options with the channels. can you explain maybe I can get ya an answer

19. Jeffreeey
    Cupcake Jul 25, 2020

Jeffreeey , Jul 25, 2020 :
    You were talking about channels 149, 153, etc and how you were changing them. That's what I'm asking about. I want to see if I am able to change it too haha

20. travle
    Donut Jul 25, 2020

travle , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 25, 2020 :
    oh ok. I changed those in my router settings under the 5Ghz settings. wasn't anything I did on the phone.