Wifi on turning off hotspot

1. Tre3y254
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2018

Tre3y254 , Dec 19, 2018 :
    help!!! when wifi turned on shutting down hotspot and vice versa? started about 2 months ago after 1 of the updates

JackieLeo likes this.
  2. macerg
    Eclair Dec 19, 2018

macerg , Dec 19, 2018 :

Tre3y254

help!!! when wifi turned on shutting down hotspot and vice versa? started about 2 months ago after 1 of the updates​

I've never seen Hotspot and WiFi on at the same time on any phone i've owned, including my 6.
    Try tethering via blue tooth if you want wifi on.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

Raresch and lSAMYl like this.
  3. Tre3y254
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2018

Well I always use my phone's hotspot for my multiple devices on the road and @ work easy way to always keep my devices password protected and internerconnected.(tablet,laptop, car stereo, navigation etc.) Only thing Ive had to is do was change from phone data lte to WiFi whenever wherever available and to save my data:) Need fixed asap because until this recent issue I'm burning thru my data limit being throttled! :(

4. macerg
    Eclair Dec 19, 2018

macerg , Dec 19, 2018 :
    Exactly, can't use hotspot with WiFi, only with data.

Raresch likes this.
  5. Tre3y254
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2018

I guess your missing the whole point:/ here in lies the problem and my disconnect... WiFi ON now ghost in the machine like automatically turning HOTSPOT OFF and vice versa turning on the HOTSPOT ON began turning WIFI OFF hope this simplifies my problem so you can understand it and if u are needing more help I have written alot more that hopefully you can read thru and comprehend and help me instead of me having to further dictate and help you 2 understand the phones problem started about 2 months ago after 1 of the updates force closing either or hotspot or wifi when trying to use @ the same time like I always have and do use as wireless access point for all my other devices to share and connect to web putting data aside sim or no sim I have used both ways w/ or w/out network connection w/ no carrier thru HOTSPOT THRU PHONE WIFI INTERCONNECTED MY DEVICES and have been doing so w/ other Android phones for years now Nexus 6p s8 and had been w/ my one plus 6 until recently something or someone changed something somewhere witch now automatically turns 1 or the other off....I have connected to the internet thru s8 Nexus 6p and my oneplus6 using hotspot thru phone w/ or w/out sim card wifi connection to connect my devices to web now can't? Mi no say? Comprende our disconnect?

JackieLeo likes this.
  6. macerg
    Eclair Dec 19, 2018

macerg , Dec 19, 2018 :
    I understand, yes, in my experience of Android, this is normal, chai? mai chai?

7. felipemendes
    Jelly Bean Dec 19, 2018

felipemendes , Dec 19, 2018 :
    You may have not understood yet. And I see you have a problem with periods in your phrases. Try them next time, you'll see how better your answers will be... Let's see:

When you set your hotspot, your wifi magically turns off.
    When you turn off your hotspot, wifi turns on again.

Exactly as @macerg is trying to explain, either your phone can act receiving data from a router (wifi mode), or being the router itself (hotspot). Never together. That means that you cannot connect your phone to a wifi network, and then your laptop to your phone. And it has been like this since hotspot was implemented on Android, several years ago.

Raresch and macerg like this.
  8. macerg
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

macerg , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Thanks for that, with regard to this:-

'That means that you cannot connect your phone to a wifi network, and then your laptop to your phone"

You can do this if you share via Bluetooth, I do it all the time.

Raresch likes this.
  9. felipemendes
    Jelly Bean Dec 20, 2018

felipemendes , Dec 20, 2018 :
    But not with wifi.

macerg likes this.
  10. macerg
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

11. JAGADISH BHATTA
    Jelly Bean Dec 20, 2018

JAGADISH BHATTA , Dec 20, 2018 :
    You can't use both at the same time either you can use data+hotspot or only wifi and its always been this way

Raresch likes this.
  12. Tre3y254
    Cupcake Dec 20, 2018

Tre3y254 , Dec 20, 2018 :
    Sheepled again and I'm in Texas:/ ya would think I'd be use to it by now but still fall for the wool being pulled over my eyes? IDK if it's not the flock it's the heard well n this case the lack of comprehensive hearing and not knowing how to fix a problem with a now broken partial unable to use expensive paper weight of a phone because with most as is the case with most unlocked phones you can wifi hotspot interconnect up to I believe up to 5 devices as explained how I've done for the least 3+ years;) Does anybody speak English?

JackieLeo likes this.
  13. Raresch
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 20, 2018

Raresch , Dec 20, 2018 :
    idk if and how you did this, but I have never used a phone that was able to do this. My Nexus 5X couldn't (which was the same generation as your nexus 6P). I just asked a friend to try this and she can't do it on a Pixel device. Although, a friend can do it in an S7 Edge ... I guess it depends on the manufacturer and model. As far as I know, Oneplus did not support it. I couldn't do it with my 5T and I can't do it with my 6 and I doubt you could in earlier versions.

Maybe you could learn to use Google:
    https://techwiser.com/create-a-wifi-hotspot-from-android/

Or maybe you can do it if you are rooted and use some specific apps. Sometimes, root access is revoked after an update, so if you had root, now you might not and it doesn't work.

If you don't want other apps on your phone, just use the bloody Bluetooth connection for tethering, while you are connected to the internet (although, you might not be able to connect to many devices. Still, who has 5 devices that he uses at once ...)

You can also roll back manually to a software version that you think it worked. search the forum to find how you can roll back.

macerg likes this.
  14. felipemendes
    Jelly Bean Dec 20, 2018

felipemendes , Dec 20, 2018 :
    I do, but apparently you can't type! :p

If you always used hotspot and wifi at the same time, congratulations, you have a very unique device. For us mere mortals, enabling hotspot disables wifi, and vice versa.

https://www.asus.com/zentalk/in/thread-59109-1-1.html
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/hot-spot-off-wifi-t3641799
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/hotspot-turning-off-and-wifi-turning-on-automatically.668896/

Want more? :cool:

Raresch and macerg like this.
  15. Arnob_59
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2019

Arnob_59 , Feb 24, 2019 :
    please help!

I know the limitation of 3G. the internet doesn’t work when incoming call comes. But i've been using 4G and the hotspot (internet) gets turned off during incoming call. For the first few days the internet worked fine, just a bit slower that's no big deal. But, recently hotspot (i use it to play online fps. that's why its a big deal to me) gets turned off. is there any solution? I'm using OnePlus 6.

16. JackieLeo
    Cupcake Jun 15, 2019

JackieLeo , Jun 15, 2019 :
    I know what you mean. I did it all the time with my previous lg g6.

I have a huawei tablet doesn't connect to wiffi 5ghz, but my lg g6 does. When trying to stream in huawei 2.4 ghz is too weak signal constantly laggs. Same public wiffi at the airport. So I use wiffi 5 ghz to conect my lg g6 then I conect my huawei via tethering trough wiffi to my lg g6 (no Lte data) and can stream like a charm with my huawei tablet.

Now being trying to do the same with a oneplus 7pro and can't do it as I used to do it before.

I try to connect via Bluetooth but lagging worst if I conect via wifi 2.4 ghz

And some of you have to know some smartphone monthly plans not allow Gigs for tethering so I got be forced to wifi tethering In some particular cases.

17. rbrtfr
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2019

rbrtfr , Jul 19, 2019 :
    Bro, i've done it with another android phone (Samsung); read the following: my android was connected via wifi to my brother's router (he gave me the password long time back and i dont remember it); then i was at his place and trying to connect my laptop to the wifi but i didnt have the password, problem solved: i turned on the hotspot on my cell; which was in turn hooked to the wifi, BINGO! this is not possible in oneplus, i have the same issue on my oneplus 7 pro, and yes, this sucks

18. felipemendes
    Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2019

felipemendes , Jul 19, 2019 :
    Good for you! Keep your Samsung, sell your OP7.

19. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jul 19, 2019

hotsauce , Jul 19, 2019 :
    You guys should calm down, it's not other people's fault you guys don't know how to properly describe the issue. The feature you guys are talking about is called WIFI sharing, It's when a phone connected to wifi share that wifi internet with other devices via hotspot. This feature is available as a stock feature on other phones like pixel and Samsung galaxy, but to my knowledge, never on a Oneplus device. In order for you to do this on a oneplus device, you'd have to install a 3rd party app, just search for wifi sharing on play store. Then you can request for this feature in the feature request section on OP website, no point of posting angry post in the forum.

20. milind__patel
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019