Will a OP9 Pro from Ali-express work in the UK?

1. joehspicer
    Cupcake Jan 19, 2022

joehspicer , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Hello,

I'm looking to buy new phones for my wife and I. The OP9 is significantly cheaper ordered from ali xpress china than from UK stores.

It's listed as global ROM, includes OTA updates and OxygenOS. From what I see the data bands supported match the frequencies we use in the UK.

So would the phone be OK? Would there be any limitations of buying this version to use in the UK?

When I have ordered from ali xpress before, items have not been subject to import duties (ad they are often marked as a gift). Should I expect the same?

Sorry for the simple questions, I'm not that techy!

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022

2. drl431
    Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Moderator Jan 19, 2022

drl431 , Jan 19, 2022 :
    Hi, a Chinese phone would have different band coverage and no warranty, but if the band coverage is ok with you, then you should be ok. Also, you may have to install EU software OOS version to get Google apps.

joehspicer, Aaron2017 and Caomhin like this.
  3. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 19, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 19, 2022 :
    There would be no guarantee that an OP 9 Pro converted from Chinese ColorOS to OOS would work exactly the same as a regional version intended for your region. There are minor hardware differences. And you would only get support from OnePlus China as each model phone has a different regional code. China is model LE2120. EU/UK is LE2123.
    OnePlus China support website is https://www.oneplusbbs.com/

4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 19, 2022

Swejuggalo , Jan 19, 2022 :
    In Sweden even gifts are taxed 😕
    Even if cheaper... Warranty problems and repair costs could easilly eat up everything you saved. 5G may also be more problematic.
    Also keep in mind that regular 9 is slightly different in dimensions. 9 Pro is the same though.

joehspicer likes this.
  5. joehspicer
    Cupcake Jan 20, 2022

joehspicer , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Thanks both.

I'd seen a previous thread where Oneplus had replied and actually said a 1 year warranty would still be honoured through normal warranty process (rather than sending back to China). Neither of us have ever had to warranty a phone, so I think we'd be OK to risk it on that matter.
    EDIT: here is the tread I'm referring to
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/closed-oneplus-buyed-from-china-has-warranty-in-europe.1072621/

Do you have any info on other hardware differences?

RE 5g, as long as the frequencies supported include 5g frequencies we use in the UK wouldn't that be OK? Or is there more to it than that. I don't have a 5g SIM at the moment anyway ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022

6. Ninxha
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2022

Ninxha , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Mine is a LE2120 Chinese version running with Oxygenos A11 Europe Firmware and no issues at all. I only have gotten 5-6 hours SOT and often thought that might be cuz i have the Chinese version, while others have been getting 8-9 hours SOT but that's just my opinion might not be true because there have been others with european/global OP9Pro getting 5-6 hours SOT also so yeah. Otherwise all good. 4G is great, theres no 5G in Albania yet to test it.

joehspicer likes this.
  7. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2022

sweggitity , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Do you know the hardware differences?

8. Ninxha
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2022

Ninxha , Jan 20, 2022 :
    5G antena and that's it lol. Even that isnt supposed to be hardware differences but Oneplus has blocked some bands in the root directory and cant be changed/unlocked

9. sweggitity

sweggitity , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Is there any difference between the EU and Chinese version? I have seen the disassembly vids, didn't see much of a difference. Any source to show the differences?

10. Ninxha
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2022

Ninxha , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Its not hardware differences. It's in the code. They both use SD888 cpu which has same modem. but on the root/source code on the 5G bands, OP has limited the bands for china version.
    upload_2022-1-20_10-57-50.png

11. sweggitity

12. Ninxha
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2022

Ninxha , Jan 20, 2022 :
    Nope you would still be limited to those bands of 5G. Check if your SIM provider support those 5G bands. If those are supported then 5G will work for you even if you are on EU.

13. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 20, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 20, 2022 :
    You will see the 4G and 5G hardware bands differences here.
    IN =India NA= North America or Global as its also called CN=China and EU =Europe. Have come across some users with Chinese models sometimes have issues connecting to 4G and 5G. Possibly country dependent and mobile carrier dependent too.
    1642694869844.jpg
    https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-10806.php
    And the charger you receive may be one for Chinese electrical sockets.

Your warranty may be with the seller and not OnePlus. And you would have to check with OnePlus directly to see what support you would get with a Chinese 9 Pro in an different regional market.

14. sweggitity

If an EU Chinese, and Global version are disassembled, will there be any physical differences? Like antenna arrangements, different motherboard design etc?

15. Ninxha
    Honeycomb Jan 20, 2022

Ninxha , Jan 20, 2022 :
    No all same.

16. sweggitity

So I think flashing EU ROMs on CN phones should work normally, don't think OnePlus would be making phone different for every region, given how greedy OnePlus Fitz they will think of profit

17. Caomhin

EU Rom should work. However the 4G/5G bands are hard baked into the radio hardware for the region model. So I doubt you could use the EU bands, you would still have to operate with China bands.

18. sweggitity

Alright, I got the Chinese variant here, will see how well it works in Canada.

Caomhin likes this.
  19. Caomhin

They should be the same, but you would have to strip each region model to check.