Will OnePlus 3 Work with T-Mobile Wifi Calling and VoLTE

1. cb474
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

cb474 , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Does anyone know if the OnePlus 3 will work with T-Mobile's wifi calling feature and VoLTE? So far, except for Nexus phones and the iPhone, phones that are not sold directly through T-Mobile have not worked with these features.

Just to clear up some confusion that I saw in older threads about previous OnePlus devices, the point of T-Mobile's wifi calling is not to save minutes. It's to compensate for areas that might not have good reception. Also the wifi calling seamlessly hands off between wifi and T-Mobile's cellular network, in the middle of a call, so no it is not equivalent to calling through Hangouts or something like that.

Obviously VoLTE lets you make voice calls over LTE, instead of forcing the phone to switch to HSDPA (i.e. 3G) for voice calls. It's the future of cell phone calls (better voice quality); there is no reason not to have it in a new flagship (or flagship killer) phone.

I think it's great that companies like OnePlus and Motorola want to sell directly to consumers. But it's almost pointless to have a phone on T-Mobile that does not support their basic network protocols, like wifi calling and VoLTE. I'm hoping that OnePlus will finally support them on the OnePlus 3.

pulsorock likes this.
  2. nufob82
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

nufob82 , Jun 18, 2016 :
    VoLTE works with this phone, it doesn't have wifi calling though

Scaner128 and cb474 like this.
  3. parsa5
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2016

parsa5 , Jun 18, 2016 :
    I can confirm voLTE works just fine with T-mobile. Been using it tonight no problem.

cb474 likes this.
  4. lokendra_111
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2016

lokendra_111 , Jun 18, 2016 :
    I checked it with reliance jio volte and the internet and the calls are working perfectly fine. But not able to find video calling option though.

Any idea when to expect it on oneplus 3????

5. fonzivargas
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2016

fonzivargas , Jun 18, 2016 :
    I just recently received my OnePlus 3 do I have to go to the store to set up the phone? Since I can't get service just by putting on my Sim card.

Condy likes this.
  6. NCguy
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

7. dannysingh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2016

dannysingh , Jun 19, 2016 :
    I know the OnePlus 2 worked with Band 12 so I'm assuming the 3 will. I will test VoLTE when I receive my phone next week.

8. NCguy
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

Condy likes this.
  9. cb474
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

cb474 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Band 12 is in the specs. Is there any reason to expect it not to work?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. It is frustrating not to have wifi calling working. It's supposed to be built into Marshmallow, so I don't know why companies don't make it work. I like T-Mobile, but the one place I don't get good reception is in my home. It's hard for me to justify getting a phone without T-Mobile's wifi calling. And it seems like it would be worth the effort for OnePlus to make it work, since otherwise they are potentially losing a lot of T-Mobile customers.

AMRivlin likes this.
  10. gmo8492
    Lollipop Jun 19, 2016

gmo8492 , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Well from what I have read on the AMA on reddit and what people have said here, the OP3 has both band 12 and VoLTE, but it has not been officially certified by T-Mobile. So basically it works like other phones that officially support T-Mobile. However it does not have integrated WiFi calling and OnePlus has yet to answer if they will ever make it a feature in a future update. They seem to avoid the question since people asked about it on the AMA. It's just missing WiFi calling at this point.

11. NCguy
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

NCguy , Jun 19, 2016 :
    But does VoLTE actually work on Band 12? This phone is not E911 certified by Tmobile. So it may be dropping back to another band other than LTE for calls on band 12. You may not get simultaneous voice and data or in some cases you may get data but no calling at all. For that matter VoLTE may not work correctly on other tmobile bands. Someone needs to carefully check out the VoLTE band 12 behavior as well as on band 2 and 4. Make sure it's not falling back to HSPA+, edge, or no signal during a call.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

12. AMRivlin
    Eclair Jun 20, 2016

AMRivlin , Jun 20, 2016 :
    So no Wifi calling? That is a bummer. How hard would it be for them to have a tech meet with the Tmo team for a few days in Seattle. So what if it costs 10,000 or whatever Tmo charges to approve it, I am sure they already pushed 10,000 units to tmobile usa users.

Going to consider a return.

13. pdukich
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2016

pdukich , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Yeah with no WIFI calling this phone is a non-purchase for me... OnePlus.. get your act together.

randallian likes this.
  14. besweeet
    Eclair Jul 5, 2016

besweeet , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Add me to the list of users avoiding the 1+3 because of this. I rarely use it, but when I need to use it, I expect it to be there.

15. pdukich
    Cupcake Jul 5, 2016

pdukich , Jul 5, 2016 :
    I use it everyday... I work IT in the basement... other IT guys can sympathize I'm sure... so no WIFI calling means I have no signal at all... so it's a pass for me.

16. DannyM93
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 5, 2016

DannyM93 , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Oneplus 2 got wifi calling in an OTA is I understand correctly. Maybe it's still in development for the 3.
    Does anyone know if when wifi calling is enabled, whether the phone disables the cell connection? Where I work is in a valley where there is no cell reception either and my phone burns through battery searching for a signal, and when I put it in airplane, I always forget to turn that off when I go home.

17. parsa5
    Jelly Bean Jul 5, 2016

parsa5 , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Band 12 works fine. I can confirm this while out on the town and using LTE Discovery app.

It also falls on T-mobile to certify the device for wifi calling. Don't just blame Oneplus.

That wouldn't solve this problem. T-mobile needs to certify and whitelist the device a la its own lineup and Nexus devices.

18. DannyM93
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 5, 2016

DannyM93 , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Still leaves the possibility of inclusion in the future, right?

19. parsa5
    Jelly Bean Jul 5, 2016

parsa5 , Jul 5, 2016 :
    Sure does! But I wouldn't count on it. The only unlocked phone I have seen that supports T-mobile WiFi is Nexus 5x/6p.

20. kamileon
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2016

kamileon , Jul 21, 2016 :
    The fact that it supports VoLTE on T-Mobile means it is already certified by T-Mobile. VoLTE is a feature that requires that certification to work. Which means that wifi calling could work if OnePlus pushes an update to activate/support it.