Will OnePlus 3 Work with T-Mobile Wifi Calling and VoLTE

1. bigup7
    Froyo Sep 21, 2016

bigup7 , Sep 21, 2016 :
    Can anyone from OnePlus confirm wifi calling is a feature they are actively trying to add to the OP3?

2. G_Haim_L_bcYM
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2016

G_Haim_L_bcYM , Sep 27, 2016 :
    OP3 community edition h2o has a working wifi calling. Hopefully they'll release it mainstream soon.

3. G_Marco_Pereira_PDfk
    Donut Sep 27, 2016

4. G_Kev_Knight_fUgc
    Donut Nov 26, 2016

G_Kev_Knight_fUgc , Nov 26, 2016 :
    I am not sure if anyone received their answer. I did not until I got my 3T. It gave me the options over VoLTE and VoWifi. I turned it on and it seemed to work with tmobile. I hope this helps... And I hope this is accurate.

5. G_Israel_Gonzalez-Cruz_F
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2016

6. bobomonster
    Eclair Nov 26, 2016

bobomonster , Nov 26, 2016 :
    I just got my OnePlus 3T, and I do notice a 'WiFi calling' calling feature I've never seen in my OnePlus One. I will be testing this out when I'm in a dead zone, but with wifi access. I tried to test it with airplane mode on, but the phone will force you to disable that option before attempting to make a call from the dialer. I'm also curious as to how aggressive the handover from cellular tower to wifi would be. I've never owned a device with VoLTE technology, but I am looking forward to upgraded call quality!

7. besweeet
    Eclair Nov 26, 2016

besweeet , Nov 26, 2016 :
    VoLTE doesn't necessarily increase quality. If you're already used to HD Voice calls on UMTS / HSPA+, VoLTE-VoLTE calls probably won't be much better. The main thing to me is purely being able to use LTE while on a call instead of falling back, and to have LTE calls in more places (via band 12 and LTE-only areas).

bobomonster likes this.
  8. bobomonster
    Eclair Nov 28, 2016

bobomonster , Nov 28, 2016 :
    Do you know how the wifi calling feature works on the OnePlus 3? I've been trying to find information on it but, nothing specific in the user manual. I notice my phone switching between vo-lte and vo-wifi fairly often when walking inside my home.

I haven't had many conversations on my new phone yet. I'm curious to see if there will be an improvement from my old OnePlus one.

9. kpoyser
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2016

kpoyser , Nov 28, 2016 :
    I just got my 3T and I enabled VoLTE and VoWiFi on the T-mobile network and both work flawlessly. It also has band 12 enabled for LTE and connects to it even though it only shows 4G on the status bar LTE Discovery app shows that it connection Is LTE. I have no reason to doubt that it's not the same for the OP3

10. thomasxhong
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2016

11. bobomonster
    Eclair Nov 30, 2016

bobomonster , Nov 30, 2016 :
    So, I was able to try WIFI calling on my OP3T today, and it did not work (I am a post paid T-Mobile USA customer). I was in an area with zero reception, not even roaming, however, I had access to WIFI. While attempting to make a call, it would show on my phone that "no mobile network" therefore, call cannot be made.

So, I'm scratching my head a little here that some of you guys have had it work successfully. I would ask those who have said that the feature has worked: Were you also in areas where mobile network connectivity was either non existent + wifi? or were you in a zone where you had possibly one bar of service + wifi?

12. Ricky101RK
    Donut Nov 30, 2016

Ricky101RK , Nov 30, 2016 :
    I can confirm volte works it shows vowifi and then when I make call it goes to volte

13. honk3x
    Froyo Nov 30, 2016

honk3x , Nov 30, 2016 :
    I just turned airplane mode on, switched on WiFi and made a successful call out.

I'm on MetroPCS.

14. Ricky101RK
    Donut Nov 30, 2016

15. F_Dmitry_Braurman_kstT
    Donut Nov 30, 2016

16. bobomonster
    Eclair Nov 30, 2016

bobomonster , Nov 30, 2016 :
    Doing that with my OnePlus 3T prompts a popup stating, "To place a call, first turn off Airplance mode."

My wifi is on and connected. How were you able to bypass this, sir?

17. girish.bhutiya2005
    Donut Nov 30, 2016

18. G_Rob_Hind_yrlW
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2016

19. ken_oy
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2016

ken_oy , Dec 1, 2016 :
    Things are getting curious. Some people (Tmobile user, I assume) can make calls through Tmobile's wifi calling, but some don't. I am also a Tmobile user and willing to buy an 1+3T, now I get confused LOL.

In my opinion, without a Tmobile SIM you cannot make Wifi-Calling, because you are not a Tmobile customer. And turning on Airplane mode, could block you from accessing the SIM, that means Tmobile couldn't identify if you are its customer, and that stops you from Wifi-Calling.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

20. stevolution
    Cupcake Dec 1, 2016