Will OP3 and 3T get Android O?

1. 4sheesh
    Honeycomb Jul 31, 2017

manan14, varma246, Punk_69 and 4 others like this.
  2. kumar alok2091
    Honeycomb Jul 31, 2017

kumar alok2091 , Jul 31, 2017 :
    I don't know why they do this to us.....after launch of new phone they kind of ignore there previous customers...that's too bad....I was owner of nexus 5 ....was really satisfied by their updates....I am missing it

Deactivated User likes this.
  3. kumar alok2091
    Honeycomb Jul 31, 2017

Deactivated User likes this.
  4. meatandy
    Oreo Jul 31, 2017

meatandy , Jul 31, 2017 :
    We know this already since @Pete has already "promised" this on his Twitter feed.

(Not that promises matter)

mangatinanda, Sun90, varma246 and 3 others like this.
  5. Deactivated User
    Jul 31, 2017

6. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean Jul 31, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , Jul 31, 2017 :
    CustomsROMs will be the first to implement new Android versions. So it doesn't matter what OnePlud promises or doesn't promise anymore, custom ROMs will always save your backs.

xcrm and varma246 like this.
  7. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 31, 2017

youbi , Jul 31, 2017 :
    Threads merged.

Sun90 likes this.
  8. elanglois
    Lollipop Jul 31, 2017

elanglois , Jul 31, 2017 :
    Name ONE phone that OnePlus supported for 18 months

Android O for 3T will come as soon as N comes for the OP2

9. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jul 31, 2017

youbi , Jul 31, 2017 :
    Well, that depends what you consider "supported", because both the opo (I know it was cyanogen), and op2 got "updates" longer than 18 months. :p ;)

And yeah, I know that they promised nougat for the op2, and they will have that scar forever in their history. But they did launch updates past that date. ;)

The support for the op3T is the decisive test for Oneplus to prove that they will do what users expect from them, so lets hope they have learned their lesson. :(

My advice to you is that its better if you don't bet money on it... ;)

Sun90 likes this.
  10. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2017

elanglois , Aug 1, 2017 :
    Exactly .. what do you consider "supported".

If you count support from 3rd parties as support, then the 3T will be supported. If you count the MM updates the OP2 got as "updates", then the 3/T "may" get updated, but certainly NOT Android O! We see how the support works for that window. You get a security patch every 6 months or so!

What version of OOS is the 3T on? What version of OOS is the OP5 on? Note that the new features in OOS 4.5 are from the Beta program run on the 3 and 3T. We beta tested these features so we know they work on the 3 and 3T. An official 4.5 for the OP3/T hasn't been released. And why not? Hey ... we got a security patch though ... like the OP2 did!

Everyone says to wait and see. Wait for what? Looks pretty obvious to me! I'll still with my 3rd party ROMs thanks

Sun90 likes this.
  11. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2017

Has anyone tried taking a OP5/OOS 4.5 ROM and copying the latest OpenBeta kernel and firmware into the ZIP, and then flashing the result? I'm curious. If it crashes, you could start copying various libraries from OpenBeta, but I don't think the 835 has any new instructions that the 820/821 lacks, so it may work with just the kernel/firmware swap.

12. nobelium76
    KitKat Aug 1, 2017

nobelium76 , Aug 1, 2017 :
    Almost guaranteed you will get it via custom ROM (LineageOS), as for OP ...who knows, maybe.

13. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Aug 1, 2017

youbi , Aug 1, 2017 :
    Yeah, the concept of "supported" is always a bit ambiguous. :sweatsmile:

I honestly don't believe that will happen, because they should be quite aware by now that if the same thing would happen again most of us wouldn't be here anymore... ;)

You know what they say, "Fool me once..."

Lets wait and see how things will go, no point on starting to get worried in advanced. :sweatsmile:

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2017

Again .. wait for what? Where is OOS 4.5? The OP5 has it NOW (no waiting) but the devices that Beta Tested nearly every feature don't have it. What's the delay? They have the source and device trees so there should be no problem with creating a build for the 3/T. At worst a couple hours to tweak a couple things.

What do 3/T owners get instead? Security updates! What do we want? A new major release! What did the OP2 get? Security updates! What do they want? A new major release!

You see, back when the petition was going around about Nougat on the OP2, I was the idiot saying "Just wait. OnePlus promised, and it will happen, they just don't give out ETAs". Now, don't I look like an 455! Burned! I don't see OnePlus doing anything different this time around. You can't even get accessories for the 3T anymore and it's only been generally available for a couple months! By the time the waiting list was done and you could get open shipments, to the time they dropped it like a hot potato, was about 3 months. I remember it was right after the Chinese New Year that they started selling opening without a wait and 3 months later they announced it was discontinued!

Although it looks like running OOS 4.5 on the 3T isn't as simple as copying the system partition (I had hoped). I'll have to see what's up with it. I didn't even get a boot animation. That's disappointing considering the time I spent creating the ZIP and shrinking the system image (the 5 has a slightly larger system partition than the 3 for some odd reason, even though it fits just fine on the 3T resized), but it was worth a try.

15. David Y.
    Jelly Bean Aug 1, 2017

David Y. , Aug 1, 2017 :
    First, my answer to the question on the thread title:

Yes. OnePlus 3/3T will get Android O. OOS team are working on it, even new community app (not public yet) just finished the compatibility work for Android O last week.

Here are some update I'd like to share with you guys:

Currently the OOS team are focusing on the OBT program and Android O for OP3/3T, also stable updates for OP5. Next stable update for OP3/3T was planned, will be a minor update updated Android security patch level to August.

I will keep you all in the loop once I got some latest updates.

16. elanglois
    Lollipop Aug 1, 2017

I appreciate the info, but I noticed there is no word of an update for the 3/T to OOS 4.5. I see security patch, I see OpenBeta, and I see Android O (which isn't released yet, so I honestly don't care). Why the stall on OOS 4.5?

It would seem as if 3/T users are being forced to wait for no other reason than some hopes of pushing sales of OP5 hardware via the software features, and then later on down the road when no one is buying either, update both devices to O at once. Am I close?

17. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 1, 2017

AcmE85 , Aug 1, 2017 :
    @elanglois
    Aaaaaaaand he's gone... :(
    I would've also liked to hear about a possible addition of the camera app v2.0 for example (of course without portrait mode and 2x zoom before anyone asks).

Nightmode + sRGB still needs fixing too on the latest OOS Open Beta.

AskeKaiser likes this.
  18. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2017

Bobbie63 , Aug 1, 2017 :
    To be honest, that wasn't much of an answer you got from @David Y. A confirmation of something you didn't ask for and a sort of acknowledgement of your earlier statement by giving "some update".

Well I guess it bought them another two months.

mr_priyanshu, PAVAN BP, adpro and 4 others like this.
  19. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Aug 1, 2017

youbi , Aug 1, 2017 :
    And what features the current op5 software has over the op3/t that would be decisive on one person decision to buy the device? Right now the difference between both isn't really that big, right?

He did say that the op3/t wasn't getting "O" for sure, so I think it was indeed an answer to a "question". ;) But this thread did started with that question, so it got is answer.

If you think this of keeping people informed (and inside the "loop") about whats happening then I'm not sure what would you rather have instead. ;)

20. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Aug 1, 2017

Bobbie63 , Aug 1, 2017 :
    I was referring to @elanglois previous post, his question was "where is OOS 4.5.", a question that wasn't answered. In my reply I said @David Y. acknowledge the update to Android O, which he already did in the first post other thread.

To me it's not clear what that means in this specific case, "inside the loop". I know the meaning of the words, but can't say what it would mean in practice. Rolling out an OTA and inform people by opening a thread with a changelog is keeping people in the loop also.

For now, the only thing I see, is next "stable" update will bring no major new features, just a security patch to August like @elanglois predicted.

adpro, zoestar, varma246 and 2 others like this.