I am on devel_rc-proposed
    settings -> About -> OS

here is what it displays (Its 4.4.2):

screenshot20160608_175922051.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

2. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 8, 2016 :
    Hi everyone,

CHLOE: So I am having exactly the same issue as msri3here. I actually use Ubuntu Studio as my desktop OS. I deleted any ubuntuimages folder under .cache just to re-download fresh. This is the command I use to reflash

sudo ubuntu-device-flash --server=http://system-image.ubports.com touch --channel=ubuntu-touch/devel_rc-proposed --device=bacon --bootstrap

When I check Settings > About > OS, I see 4.4.2 and not 5.1. Is there something we are missing here?

Thanks

3. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 8, 2016 :
    Also, not to be nit-picky because I fully realize that this is all beta right now and not fully developed BUT battery life is absolutely terrible. Without being plugged in, battery is only about 3-4 hours (and that is with WiFi turned off). Is there any work being done with regards to battery life?

Thanks

4. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jun 9, 2016

ChloeWolfieGirl, Jun 9, 2016 :
    Thanks everyone, currently we aren't focusing on improving battery life yet, 5.0.2 should have better battery life but I don't know by how much, and we will look at improving battery life but it isn't our focus right now.

Thank you for all, your feedback, I talked to Marius about it and said he pushed said he pushed back the 5.0 android base because of some mir and qcom drivers.
    Marius said it should be a quick fix and is on it now, so hopefully you should get an update later today fixing that issue.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

5. msri3here Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 9, 2016

msri3here, Jun 9, 2016 :
    Thanks for the updates.
    Is there a workaround to mount android sdcard to Ubuntu Touch?
    I do it when on Ubuntu Touch, but cant make it stick.
    because /etc is read-only, I cant add the lines to either fstab or to rc.local.

6. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 10, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 10, 2016 :
    Hi,

I noticed an r5 and an r6 on the devel_rc-proposed channel, and I flashed both BUT I am still seeing version 4.2.2 under OS version. Any indication as to when we will see 5.1 so we can test calling, headphone, etc...

Thanks for all of your hard work to the team working on this.

7. msri3here Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

msri3here, Jun 16, 2016 :
    did any one manage to get mp3 working any of the builds?
    Music player just shows music (mp3 specifically), but doesnt play anything

8. dhairyarc1 Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

dhairyarc1, Jun 16, 2016 :
    any idea when would be stable build would be out desperately wanna try this but seems its having major battery drain ! and music player Bluetooth issue

9. Jupeeeeee Jelly Bean Jun 23, 2016

Jupeeeeee, Jun 23, 2016 :
    @mariogrip we need updates.
    give us updates. how is it progressing. how far until it's bareable. how far until it's usable
    GIVE US SOMETHING.
    and give us an install guide. the one on ubuntus site is no longer up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

10. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 28, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 28, 2016 :
    There are install instructions at UBports

https://devices.ubports.com/#/bacon

If you aren't running Ubuntu as your main desktop OS, you can always create a virtual machine with Virtualbox.

11. Jupeeeeee Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2016

Jupeeeeee, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Yeah I've gone through everything, even that site, before realising that I actually need Ubuntu, but I'm running a Macbook Pro as my main atm. Then I just gave up, even though I right after installed Ubuntu to, like you said, Virtualbox, since that's the only virtual machine program that I have even slight experience with it. What sucks about Virtualbox though is the fact that you can't resize the window normally. I mean the Ubuntu window, you can resize the Virtualbox window but not the OS itself IN the Ubuntu. Like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 29, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 29, 2016 :
    You need to install the Virtualbox Guest Additions to enable resizing of the Ubuntu screen resolution.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#idm1967

The other nice thing about the guest additions is the seamless mouse integration. When you move your mouse over the Ubuntu window, the mouse gets automatically captured by Ubuntu.

The other thing you should look at with Virtualbox is setting up USB devices. When you run that second command to actually flash your OPO with Ubuntu Touch, the phone should reboot twice if I recall (it needs to go into recovery). When a USB device reboots from within a virtual machine, the host OS (in your case your Mac) gets first dibs on it rathet than the guest (Ubuntu). This might disrupt the Ubuntu Touch install process on the OPO. I remember when flashing cyanogenmod on my Android phones, I needed to tell Virtualbox to always keep the USB device (my phone) running in the guest (the VM) and not the host. There is a way with the USB vendor / device ID. I forget how since it's been a while.

A simpler approach would be if you have some old clunker PC kicking about, just throw Ubuntu on that.

Hope that helps.

13. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jun 29, 2016

ChloeWolfieGirl, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Ok, sorry for some lack of updates recently, its been a bit of a wild ride with 5.1 but devel_rc-proposed will be getting an update very soon and I can promise that calling works, and has a few extra things that doesn't work with 4.4 ;)

The issues we've had includes the device getting really hot, battery draining faster and unity8 not showing up.
    Sorry I hadn't updated you all earlier, but I hope that this update thats coming son will cheer everyone up!

14. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jun 29, 2016

ChloeWolfieGirl, Jun 29, 2016 :
    Anyone else have this?
    All my music works fine, and this is the first time hearing this problem.

15. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 30, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 30, 2016 :
    CHLOE: When 5.1 is ready and uploaded to the channel, can you please just let us know? I don't want to keep flashing my phone in the hopes that the next update is 5.1. I'd rather just wait and flash once it's officially up.

Thanks for all of your hard work BTW. It really is appreciated!!

16. nanonerd Cupcake Jun 30, 2016

nanonerd, Jun 30, 2016 :
    Music was playing, just not through the headphone jack if I recall. Only through the speakers.

17. Jupeeeeee Jelly Bean Jun 30, 2016

Jupeeeeee, Jun 30, 2016 :
    haha unluckily enough I don't really have any old PCs that I'm comfortable with even using.
    I'll try to replicate all that later and tell you the outcome.

18. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jul 1, 2016

ChloeWolfieGirl, Jul 1, 2016 :
    I will not be giving a date before hand as I've done that a few times before which ended up being pushed back, and I don't want to promise things that end up not coming to light due to unseen bugs.

All I can say right now is soon, but Ill post here when its ready.

19. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jul 1, 2016

Yeah thats an issue, its the same issue that prevents calls and thus next update from Marius will solve that issue :)

luxuskamel likes this.
  20. ChloeWolfieGirl Gingerbread Jul 1, 2016

Ther should be an update later today to devel-proposed, I wouldn't recommend updating to that as your device will refuse to charge when turned on, it'll also be fairly buggy, will update you when we can.