Wiping with TWRP.... data? system? cache?

1. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

XII-19, Sep 1, 2015 :
    So i have basic or very little understanding about using TWRP custom recovery wiping tools. I just want to know what would happen if i were to use advanced wipe to wipe data, system and cache (not dalvik cache). If i were to wipe them would i lose all my apps? or my system settings? or the settings within my apps? from what i can search and understand on several forums it does not wipe my actual saved storage data (photos, movies etc), but what of the others i mentioned about? i haven't found a clear answer so im asking here. i have some apps that worked fine until now, tried deleting cache and data in the app info options, reinstalling the apps and wiping my dalvik cache to re-optimise the apps and to no avail does the app work again. it just crashes as i enter these app. I just want to have a clean device with all app optimised running smooth without deleting my system settings and app settings. if it comes to worse the most trouble i could afford is having to relog into all my app accounts. so what is the best path i could take here?

2. Bartnl Lollipop Sep 1, 2015

Bartnl, Sep 1, 2015 :
    Never wipe system. This will delete the complete rom and you will have no Android, pics, apps, on your phone anymore.
    Wipe data will wipe your apps, personal files, pics, etc but leaves Android alone
    Cache and Dalvik cache can be wiped without any problem. This will not wipe your apps

mevicks, Fonetix and Gaurav Rohilla like this.
  3. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  4. TlathamXmahtalT KitKat Sep 1, 2015

5. spencer1620 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2015

spencer1620, Sep 1, 2015 :
    You would lose your apps, operating system and cache.
    It should not touch your pics or movies

6. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

XII-19, Sep 1, 2015 :
    yeah righty. i'ved looked on several forums via google and couldn't find out a definitive answer, hence why i asked. It's what forums are for.

jellylemon likes this.
  7. TlathamXmahtalT KitKat Sep 1, 2015

TlathamXmahtalT, Sep 1, 2015 :
    But this is a OnePlus forum, not a TWRP forum.

8. TlathamXmahtalT KitKat Sep 1, 2015

9. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

XII-19, Sep 1, 2015 :
    Im using my OPO to get this sorted, that's enough isn't it, cant i seek fellow OP users for help? btw none of them links explain in detail what i wanted to know. I've read through them and it only tells me the do's and don't. Like i said i wanted to know specifically what i had asked for to sort out my problems. Rather you read some of them before assuming every link has the answer each individual is looking for, but then again thanks for the link anyways.

10. TlathamXmahtalT KitKat Sep 1, 2015

TlathamXmahtalT, Sep 1, 2015 :
    I'm also using my OPO, to tell you that you should at least do some extensive research before asking a question that's probably already been answered.

11. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

XII-19, Sep 1, 2015 :
    heheh and my extensive research has lead me to this. ask a specific question on a forum im already a member of for a detailed answer - 10 minutes. Sit around and keep looking, sign up to other forums just to ask - 30 minutes maybe more. trust me dude if i had found the answer in the last hour i wouldn't have bothered asking. all is solved now, hope this forum post will serve someone else good use! thanks again bartnl!

rohan98 likes this.
  12. Bartnl Lollipop Sep 1, 2015

Bartnl, Sep 1, 2015 :
    You're welcome,
    Just wipe cache and Dalvik cache and you'll be fine. Do this also after every update of Android to avoid strange behaviour

13. blujadajhdja Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2015

blujadajhdja, Sep 1, 2015 :
    The other guy has a point, but basically
    - Wiping the cache doesn't remove anything you'll need and sometimes fixes problems
    - Wiping data will remove mostly everything
    - Wiping system will remove the ROM
    - Wiping internal storage is everything on your phone while the above doesn't touch your media files such as pictures, downloads, music
    - Wiping USB-OTG is self explanatory
    Feel free to correct me.

14. XII-19 Donut Sep 1, 2015

XII-19, Sep 1, 2015 :
    that my very good sir, is the best damn explanation i've heard.

blujadajhdja likes this.
  15. awatt2001 Gingerbread Nov 28, 2015

awatt2001, Nov 28, 2015 :
    does wiping the rom delete app data?
    Say I have flashed to a new cm 13 nightly but its buggy and I have to flash to a older stable version before I can flash to a newer better version, is there a way to wipe the rom but keep the app data intact, since I can't backup the data as the buggy nightly won't let me access my app data ?

16. blujadajhdja Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 28, 2015

blujadajhdja, Nov 28, 2015 :
    I don't understand why you would have to downgrade to upgrade again????? If you backup the data partition and try to restore it, I guess it might work, but half the time it doesn't. The best way to backup app data is probably Titanium Backup.

17. awatt2001 Gingerbread Nov 28, 2015

awatt2001, Nov 28, 2015 :
    Not sure, just thought i'd go back to a stable version to fix the black screen as going from the cm13 25 build to 28 build still had the same problem. wiped the rom and flashed to new build had the same problem so ill hav to fully wipe and reflash,

blujadajhdja likes this.
  18. albertrix2000 Gingerbread Nov 29, 2015

albertrix2000, Nov 29, 2015 :
    Wrong! System: Deletes rom
    Data: Apps and Apps info
    Internal storage: Personal info such as pictures and music

mharis and nh_opu like this.
  19. iwantone3 Honeycomb Nov 29, 2015

iwantone3, Nov 29, 2015 :
    Hello will wiping data from twrp loose root privileges as well ?
    it should right as super user will be uninstalled as well ?

20. albertrix2000 Gingerbread Nov 30, 2015

albertrix2000, Nov 30, 2015 :
    It will not because if you flashed supersu it will be installed as a system app, anyways if it uninstalls just flash it again in twrp... ;)

iwantone3 likes this.