Wireless Charging - It's Convenient

1. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Aug 28, 2019

Shivang Joshi , Aug 28, 2019 :
    This is a star thread for CUBE. Check more excellent content here.
    OnePlus started out as a smartphone manufacturer which would kill other Flagships through its competitive pricing. When they released OnePlus 3, they implemented the Dash Charge or let’s just say Fast Charging Technology in their devices. At that time, it seemed like a pretty great thing to have and was one of the USPs for their devices – at least, for quite a few people. The same fast charging technology was implemented in all their devices till OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition, where we first saw the implementation of Warp Charge 30. This year, we saw that OnePlus carried over that same Warp Charge 30 to their newer device – OnePlus 7 Pro. But what we never saw in OnePlus devices is the Wireless Charging.

Wireless Charging 3.jpg

OnePlus devices started * Glass Backs with the introduction of the OnePlus 6. But I would ask what’s the advantage of * that glass back if we aren’t implementing the Wireless Charging? Yes, the Glass Back devices looks good and they’re the devices which are trending all over the Internet. Yes, they are also the so-called trademark of premium devices. But they get smudged up easily, they break when the device falls and they can get scratched – not as easily as plastic backs, but still they can. So, other than glass back being the trend and the so-called trademark of premium devices, why should they be even implemented? The real answer should be Wireless Charging. But we don’t have that on OnePlus devices.

That’s the topic I want to touch upon today – Wireless Charging. OnePlus has been quite a bit stubborn on implementing the Wireless Charging on their devices, and I really don’t understand why. Yes, we saw Pete talk about Wireless Charging on Nov 2017 in this thread where he also stated the reasons why they weren’t implementing Wireless Charging. But those reasons weren’t good enough at that moment – at least, not for me – and today, they just sound as an excuse.

We all know, and I agree that Wired Charging is a quicker method to charge our devices, but I would also argue that Wireless Charging is much more convenient. Currently, OnePlus uses 20W as well as 30W Wired Charging for their latest devices i.e. OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro. And considering other manufacturers, there is 40W, 45W as well as 50W Wired Charging available in the industry. Also, there are rumours that we might see 120W Wired Charging in the future. If we keep comparing Wired Charging speeds to that of the Wireless Charging, we might not be able to catch up with that – not anytime soon.

Wireless Charging 1.jpg

But does that mean that Wireless Charging shouldn’t just be implemented in any devices until it catches up with Wired Charging? No, not at all. That shouldn’t be the case, but it looks like OnePlus has been following that strategy for way too long now. If we see current Wireless Charging technology, we can see that there are 15W and 20W Wireless Charging implemented in some of the devices. So, if we compare that 20W to the Wired Charging technology which is used in OnePlus 7, we can say that the speeds would pretty much be the same. Is it theoretical? Definitely. What I’m saying is definitely on theoretical basis but can pretty much be true – if we want it to be.

Now, keeping those speeds aside, what about the convenience? Wireless Charging is much more convenient to use than Wired Charging. Just visualize the following situations:

1. You’re driving to your workplace and your car does have a built-in wireless charging pad. You’re listening to some songs/podcast while being on the way to your work. And as you’re currently driving, you won’t be using your device as well. So, why not just let your device charge while you drive? So, when you enter your workplace, you can have the device completely charged.

2. You’re working on your desk and there’s a wireless charging right by your side. As you’re working, you won’t be using your device for majority of the time. So, what’s wrong to just let your device charge while you do your work? Maybe, it’ll charge a bit slower than the wired charging. But at the end of the day, you can simply pick up your device and go to a party.

3. You’re out in a café and your device is running out of charge. Unfortunately, you don’t have your proprietary fast/warp charger to charge your device. But on the other hand, the café you’re in has QI wireless charging on the tables. You can simply land your device there and it’ll start charging. This example is surely something which we don’t see in much places today, but it might be something we see more in the future – which seems to be wireless.​

Some might say that we cannot watch videos while charging our devices wirelessly. But well, I disagree with that. A Wireless Charger – something like the Pixel Stand – will enable you to watch videos while charging your device at the same time. Also, as the current devices lack the beloved headphone jack, we can simply plug in our Type-C headphones/earphones while watching those videos which won’t be possible if we use Wired Charging.

Now, what if we want to play games? Well, at that moment you might not be able to use Wireless Charging if you directly want to play using your device. But if you are using controllers even on your mobile devices, you’ll still be able to use Wireless Charging while gaming. So, there’s a solution for everything.

Now, let’s talk about the cost of adding wireless charging to the devices. If I understand these things in a correct manner, I think it’s quite feasible to add that to OnePlus devices. One can find a good 10W Wireless Charging Pad under $15. Now, one doesn’t need to add everything that a wireless charging pad has inside a smartphone. The outer casing of the wireless charging pad and the USB charging cable are also included when you buy a Wireless Charging Pad. But that’s not the case when you have to add it inside a smartphone. So, if I had to guess how much Wireless Charging would cost to add inside a smartphone, I would say about $5-$10 – max. No, I cannot be sure about this as I’m just guessing this. The cost to add can even be slightly less or slightly more – but the difference won’t be too much.

Wireless Charging 2.jpg

Finally, I would like to say adding wireless charging doesn’t take away anything from your device. Instead, it adds one convenient feature to the device which will be used by several people – if not all. That means it’s just one more option for the user to choose from. It’s not like adding wireless charging slows down your wired charging – just like adding In-display fingerprint sensor took away the faster capacitive fingerprint sensor as well as the headphone jack. Sure, the newer in-display fingerprint sensor on the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro has improved from the one on the OnePlus 6T. Also, it’s pretty much comfortable to say that the In-display fingerprint sensor tech will continue to improve in the future – till the time it lasts.

Same can be said for any other technology – it’ll always continue to improve in the future. So, why not implement the best available right now? Waiting for something new and better is a never-ending loop – And most of us know that. Else, we’ll just continue to wait for the next and upcoming OnePlus device rather than buying the current one. It’s an infinite loop – not the endgame.

What do you have to say about this? Do you agree or not? Let me know in the comments below and let’s start a discussion here.

2. Logancd1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 28, 2019

Logancd1 , Aug 28, 2019 :
    So I apologize but I didn't reread the last third of your post yet. Wanted to punch out a couple thoughts before I forgot. For me, I have one reason for wanting wireless charging: universal charging method. I have wireless charging pads here and there but only one device to charge those with right now: Samsung Galaxy Buds. However, if a friend with a newer iPhone comes over? Done. They have a Pixel, Galaxy S10, something else? They can charge too. But I can't. I want to be able to have one charging solution for all my mobile devices. That makes life easy. No jumble of cables, trying to find the one that works for this particular device. Even if wireless charging only trickle charges my device, it's still there as an option, and if I need to I can plug in that cable to speed things up. But I usually don't. So - why not throw in a coil and allow us to charge anything with one solution?

J1544996094625 and G_plusone like this.
  3. Shivang Joshi

You won't be disappointed to read the later part. I've (kinda) covered what you said but here's a specific reply. [​IMG]

So true. I would pretty much agree on this. Even though USB Type-C is cool and might be an (almost) universal standard, wireless charging is something which works with all the newer devices, including but not limited to Apple devices. Those are devices which still use lightning cables but they've included Wireless Charging and that's universal. Just using the QI Wireless Charging on the devices do not hurt the devices. Instead, it just adds an option for users.

KIMWHO and G_plusone like this.
  4. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 28, 2019

TibiTibi , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Nice reading.
    Oneplus said that they removed the jack to get space for other features. What do you suggest to remove in place of WC?

superplus and Shivang Joshi like this.
  5. Shivang Joshi

Nothing. Because they don't need to. The Wireless Charging coil is extremely thin and can be easily added without removing anything. ;) :D

KIMWHO, EDIflyer and Praty_28 like this.
  6. Aziz_Amin_Oneplus
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2019

Aziz_Amin_Oneplus , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Your wish can be granted as rumor have it that Oneplus 7T Pro will be coming with Wireless Charging as before there was not enough power to take the Wireless Charging to a new level as Oneplus suggested but Manufactures were doing their job, Mi 9 came with 20W Wireless Charging and now Mate 30 Pro coming with 25W Wireless Charging and with that I am sure Oneplus will bring in their T Variant this year otherwise it will be next year for sure.

G_plusone likes this.
  7. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 28, 2019

TibiTibi , Aug 28, 2019 :
    You know, i'm of fan of 3,5 jack.
    It does not need to change the thermal design of the device?

buntycubal and superplus like this.
  8. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2019

Discostu , Aug 28, 2019 :
    Personally, wireless charging is not a feature I am interested in. The very fact that it is called "wireless" and still has wires annoys me no end.

When driving I do not use my phone and it is connected to the car via cable and tucked away out of sight. When I'm at work it sits on my desk and doesn't get used. When I am at home the normal charger is all I ever need and I seldom use my phone in bed.

The only use case I can personally come up with would be if I am out on a night out or shopping and away from my charger, if I needed an "emergency top up" then wireless charging would be welcome.

For me it would be an unused piece of tech, and in fact the 2 phones I had prior with wireless charging never even had the functionality used.

9. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Aug 29, 2019

Shivang Joshi , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Well, I've been hoping the same since Pete first posted that thread. I was hoping for them to add it in OnePlus 6, but it has been delayed way too much.

I'm a fan of 3.5mm jack as well, and I wasn't happy to see it leave us.
    Probably not. Maybe, a bigger copper heat sink would get the job done.

Well, as much as I would like to agree - the Wireless Earbuds started coming out in a similar way. So, we can at least hope that with future enhancements, it can get better. Also, you can always keep the wireless charging pad connected to the power outlet. In that way, you just need to drop your device when you want to charge it and pick it up when you want to leave - No wires to deal with.

Okay, just visualize this situation: You are in the car and the device is connected to the car with a cable. Now, some private call comes in and you have to pick up your call - not on the speaker mode though. As it's connected to the cable, it might get tough for you to do the same. Now, if you are just using Wireless Charging in the car, you can pick up the device and it'll be directly off the charge. And as soon as you drop it back, it'll start charging again. That's convenient. And again, no wires to deal with while in the car - especially, when you have the built-in wireless charging option in the car. Also, even in this case, your device can be tucked away from your sight. When you're at home, you won't even need to charge your devices if you just use Wireless Charging while travelling back and forth on longer journeys.

Sure, emergency top-ups can always be a good thing.

For me, it's something which you won't turn back from once you start using it regularly. It becomes a part of your routine life - only if you give it a chance. Maybe, you're right in your place and you would probably never end up using it. But it surely won't take anything away if it's added. Also, it won't add a burden to your device - either in terms of cost or even weight. All it would do is adding more functionality to your device.

buntycubal likes this.
  10. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 29, 2019

Discostu , Aug 29, 2019 :
    Oh I agree, it won't add anything negative to my life nor the device - however I have no use for it and therefore see no value in it for me. I won't complain if it is on a device, I just won't use it.

Your example about the car isn't really relevant to me. My phone is always connected through Bluetooth to the car and I will not touch my phone unless pulled to the side of the road. If I receive a call, private or not, I will answer via Bluetooth or just not at all.

As I said, I've had devices in the past with wireless charging and never used it once. I didn't find it convenient and in the end there are still wires hanging all over the place, just in different locations. I'm also not a fan of leaving my phone on charge "just because" - if it doesn't need to charge then I leave it be. As I don't use it much during the day I rarely need to charge at the end.

Once again this is just me - there are no use cases for wireless charging that I see value in. Doesn't mean I don't like it :)

buntycubal, superplus and TibiTibi like this.
  11. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 29, 2019

TibiTibi , Aug 29, 2019 :
    My words.

buntycubal, superplus and Discostu like this.
  12. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Senior Moderator Aug 30, 2019

mojoyoyo77 , Aug 30, 2019 :
    For me, wireless charging translates into more devices and cables to manufacture, buy, have everywhere, and later pollute the environment.
    The only difference with respect to normal charging is that you avoid the great inconvenience of having to insert the connector into the phone (a great job), the wireless charging base also has cables, power supply / transformer.
    On the other hand I have the impression that it is not very good to multiply the charging cycles, every time you put on the base and interrupt the charge when picking up your phone.
    I do not want wireless charging

TibiTibi and Discostu like this.
  13. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Aug 30, 2019

Shivang Joshi , Aug 30, 2019 :
    I completely understand your point and appreciate it as well. And yes, I do get the point that wireless charging isn't for everyone. Also, what I said was just my opinion and I don't expect everyone else's opinion to match mine. [​IMG]

Ah yes, I do get the point. But would having it included in the device degrade anything else?

Also, I do feel like if wireless charging isn't included, I would be happy to have an aluminium body as well.

TibiTibi and Discostu like this.
  14. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2019

Discostu , Aug 30, 2019 :
    I would LOVE an aluminium phone again. I truly miss the days of owning a phone that didn't feel like I would break it with one accidental drop.

So if it is glass backed then it should be for more than pure aesthetics IMO.

TibiTibi likes this.
  15. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 30, 2019

TibiTibi , Aug 30, 2019 :
    I agree with all of this.
    Maybe without WC they leave the current design of fragile glass back phones.

Discostu likes this.
  16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 30, 2019

G_plusone , Aug 30, 2019 :
    The wireless charging would (b)reach 30 W next year.
    reverse wireless charging of Note and Mate next year may exceed 15W next year with Note 10 plus already reaching 9 W this year .
    Which might be the max wireless charging for future OnePlus phones .
    Note 10 plus could wirelessly fast charge the OnePlus 8 or 8T :D
    Wireless charging with all its ease of use is still not a deal breaker for me but an added bonus :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019

TibiTibi likes this.
  17. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Aug 31, 2019

Shivang Joshi , Aug 31, 2019 :
    True that. That's exactly where the thread began. Glass backs without wireless charging just didn't make sense.

Yeah, true again. Wireless as well as Wired Charging - Both are getting faster. I would say, it's about time that it ets implemented into the OnePlus devices.

True. Agree with that.

Discostu, TibiTibi and G_plusone like this.
  18. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 31, 2019

Discostu , Aug 31, 2019 :
    To make it truly a feature to have, OnePlus are going to need to bundle a wireless charging Pad with any new phone they decide to sell it with.

I just don't believe wireless charging is as widespread as people think it is. Well, in my country anyway.

Shivang Joshi and TibiTibi like this.
  19. evilnj
    Cupcake Sep 15, 2019

evilnj , Sep 15, 2019 :
    Yes wireless charging is convenient,but I have an iPhone xs max Max and a galaxy s10+ both with wireless charging and never use them. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

G_plusone and Discostu like this.
  20. SJBoss
    Lollipop Sep 15, 2019

SJBoss , Sep 15, 2019 :
    But do you have the charging pad? Just asking.

Shivang Joshi and G_plusone like this.