Workout Tips?! Please and Thank You.

1. sumanth94
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

sumanth94 , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Hey guys, I just wanted to ask the more knowledgeable side of the OnePlus Formus for some workout tips.

Regarding my body, I am what you would consider "skinny fat". Not really fat, but not really skinny. Not that much muscle either. I am a little chubby though. I am 5'5, 136 pounds.

I started calorie counting using MyfitnessPal last Saturday and I went from 140 to 136 pounds so far. Still got a long way to go, but I had a couple questions.

Should I lose fat and be able to see my abs, then workout and gain muscle, or vice versa.

Also, I feel as if the calorie goal that MyfitnessPal has set me (1450 every day) is a little on the low side. Anyone else agree or is it fine? I've been staying around 1450, 1500 every day and I am seeing progress however.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Edit: I am a Male

Edit 2:
    Thanks for all the tips guys. So far I've decided to hit the gym near my house every morning before work atleast 4-5 times a week. Currently I'm looking for a workout plan on bodybuilding.com. I have to find one for beginners as I don't want to do an advanced workout. I'm not there yet haha.
    I've also decided to ramp up my calories. Screw the 1450. I'm starting out with 1850 for now. Then gradually ramping to 2000. If i start to gain more chub then i'll lower it down.

Also, I'm gonna do multi-body part workouts like squats, deadlifts, pullups and such. Haven't really thought about cardio yet. I kinda want to gain some lean muscle, but i'll probably go jogging for around 15 mins 3-4 times a week.

As for protein intake, I'm trying to achieve 1gram per my body weight. I have protein shakes, turkey/chicken breasts and eggs as my main sources. Also some almonds, peanuts

Thanks again for all your help! Keep the tips flowing if you have them haha.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

Darnell likes this.
  2. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Jun 19, 2014

LostPorcupine , Jun 19, 2014 :
    If it's setting you that low, you're probably setting a pretty extreme weekly weight loss goal.
    The more you workout and gain muscle, the faster that fat is going to go away. It's good to put some muscle on while you lose the chubb.

sumanth94 likes this.
  3. sumanth94
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

4. snappy
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

snappy , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Hey:) go for jogging and do every second day or third sit ups and pull ups... so first time start with 10-break-12-break-15 :)

sumanth94 likes this.
  5. Gslide
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

Gslide , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Look up Jamie eason in bodybuilding.Com . she has all the workouts and food needed to achieve what your looking for. It works , I did it.

sumanth94 likes this.
  6. rparis2005
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

rparis2005 , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Right of the bat you will lose water weight. Depending on your weight, height and age, and how much you workout is how many calories you should consume. i worry more about Carbs than calories. Carbs is what you actually eat and calories is the amount of heat (energy) to burn what you eat. For best results you should be lifting weights, doing cardio and eating clean. Eating clean means getting enough complex carbs, greens, fats and protein. Abs are made in the kitchen along with cardio. Sculpting the body is made by lifting weights. Right off the bat thou, 1450 calories a day seems too low.

Hope this helps :)

sumanth94 likes this.
  7. lacouture.kevin
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

sumanth94 likes this.
  8. chrishoina
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

chrishoina , Jun 19, 2014 :
    You should be exercising now. Lean muscle mass actually requires more energy than fat (which requires more energy). So any excess calories you intake could conceivably (at least partially) be utilized by the lean muscle that you've created. Increases in lean muscle mass will actually increase your basal metabolic rate, this will make you more energy inefficient...causing you to expend more calories than an otherwise similarly weighed person would (assuming that person's body fat percentage was higher, since they have less lean muscle).

Additionally, 1450 is a diet caloric goal, not a maintenance. You may have to play around with this number some, but 1450 is not a realistic prospect for the long-term. You'll likely need to increase that number as your lean muscle mass increases (see above).

Lastly, you really should focus more on body fat percentages and not total weight. Total weight is not really a great indicator of health, however body composition is. I'm assuming you're a female, so you'll probably want to take a look at tables suggesting healthy norms for body fat. I don't have my references in front of my but you should start to see "abs" in the 16% range. Please don't quote me on that since I don't have the references. But it should be ball park.

Also, 5' 5" and 136 is not fat. Just in case you were stressing about that. You could conceivably be 136 with a more favorable body composition and drop a couple dress sizes. If you are a guy, I apologize....apologize for the fact that you're obviously a sissy hipster and focused on abs, rather than your chest, arms, butt or legs (the shit women really care about).

9. Ziezo
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

Ziezo , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Make sure you drink lots of water and don't forget your protein, you don't want to burn those muscles too!

sumanth94 likes this.
  10. sumanth94
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

Thanks for the tips guys. I looked up a bunch of websites and Daily Calorie requirements and they tell me to stay around 1800 calories a day.

So I guess 1450 IS too low for me based on my work and my workout patterns.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

11. sumanth94
    Froyo Jun 19, 2014

Hey! I'm not sissy! :D Thanks for the tips tho. Much appreciated.

12. na5m
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

na5m , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Muscle ups all day long.

13. kazater
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

kazater , Jun 19, 2014 :
    refrain from using too much weight, youll just overburden your muscles, rather a little less, and more repetitions.

14. Ziezo
    Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2014

Ziezo , Jun 19, 2014 :
    I'm guessing you mean 1800 a day, otherwise that would be extreme lol. Anyway, it depends to lots of factors, height, weight etc. And I see you are a man, I think that 1800 is still to low especially when you are working out...

15. kakasaka
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

kakasaka , Jun 19, 2014 :
    My trainer says abs are 10% exercise 90% Diet
    but yea as other says go to bodybuilding.com
    find a diet and workout plan for your goals
    and if you want gains you need to eat more ( clean foods of course)

16. deejay01
    KitKat Jun 19, 2014

17. wuakareg
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2014

wuakareg , Jun 19, 2014 :
    Dude workout is very important but like 65-70% depends on your diet you should see a nutricionist, i don´t recommend searching for it on the web because everyone is different, as for exercise you can check it all on the internet and make yourself a fat burning plan.
    Good luck buddy no pain no gain!
    Im talking but i also need to work out a bit :D

18. bobbydrake
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

bobbydrake , Jun 19, 2014 :
    As others have said - concentrate on building muscle (as your body will burn more energy to maintain muscle) and lower your carbs (and try to give up gluten) - try to cut out bread/cereals as they are very bad for your blood sugar levels. You must eat enough calories though if you plan to build muscle - try to lift weights rather than cardio (maybe some Hiit training though).

19. PilotG2
    Gingerbread Jun 19, 2014

20. eeindhov
    Honeycomb Jun 19, 2014

eeindhov , Jun 19, 2014 :
    weight lift now
    it will kick start your metabolism and remove some of the need to diet
    you will also be able to see the fat transform into muscle
    which is always great :)
    it is easier to put muscle on when you have some fat