Worth the Switch from OP3?

1. klementine66
    Donut Dec 14, 2017

klementine66 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    Hey guys,

I've been considering upgrading from my 18 month old OnePlus 3 to a 5t. I've heard some concerns about the camera, amongst other things. I like a decent camera but I'm not super picky about it.

People who have made the switch, was it worth it?
    Thanks!

2. saysora
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2017

saysora , Dec 14, 2017 :
    Hiya,
    I actually just made this update myself, though I was on a 3t.

For me this change is amazing. The screen size just feels really nice, and I'm a huge sucker for the finger print reader on the back or the phone. The face recognition takes some adjusting but is really nice. I think the camera works super well too. So far this phone gets 10/10 from me.

So, if you can afford it, I'd definitely make the switch.

3. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 14, 2017

Radeon962 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    Might want to read some of the threads in the 5T forum before thinking it's an "upgrade".

Punk_69 likes this.
  4. klementine66
    Donut Dec 14, 2017

klementine66 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    yikes

5. Onkar.Singh
    KitKat Dec 14, 2017

Onkar.Singh , Dec 14, 2017 :
    If you are looking for a great camera as must have feature on your device (Perhaps since you are very dependent on camera and it happens to be one of the most used feature .. the top 2-3 feature) then I would suggest looking out other options as well such as iPhones and Pixel2 .... Else the OP5T is a great device and with 8Gb and 128 GB I would say future proofed as well .... BUt having said that I feel apart from Low light cncerns ... everyone have reported excellent quality in adequate light environments ... HOpe it helps ...!!! :)

6. Punk_69
    Lollipop Dec 14, 2017

Punk_69 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    IMO, not worth the upgrade, wait for later models.

7. G_Mr_....
    Jelly Bean Dec 14, 2017

G_Mr_.... , Dec 14, 2017 :
    You could say that for all Oneplus forums doesn't mean it's not a good device, you can't always go by a few complaints unless it as genuine bugs or fault's, a lot of times it's down to apps installed & owners not doing the basics after firmware updates.
    In my opinion that is.

8. jasonycw
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2017

jasonycw , Dec 14, 2017 :
    It is not a great camera but it is better than the one from OP3. But I do think adding OIS will make it better.

I did upgrade from OP3 to OP5T, and it does feel an improvement, pretty much all aspect of the phone gets a minor upgrade.
    Only issue is I don't like the design in general, OP3 looks better and the OP5T's fingerprint sensor placement may not suit everyone.

9. xeot95
    Donut Dec 14, 2017

xeot95 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    I switched from OP3 as well. I have no regrets in buying the 5t, but if you can wait for the next one, that'd be worth it :p
    but if you're looking for a phone now, look no further. The increased screen real estate will make you fall in love with the device. You'll need some time to get used to the on-screen navigation and rear fingerprint scanner. I used to accidentally press the screen for scanning the first few days. Force of habit I suppose.

10. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Dec 14, 2017

Bouncer71 , Dec 14, 2017 :
    I don't think so....
    The OP3 is still a powerhouse...
    for me personally the FPS on the back is a huge disadvantage...
    had LG with Powerbutton on the back and I was not really comfortable with it...
    if it would be just about the looks I'd go for the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2...

11. Aevangelist
    Eclair Dec 14, 2017

Aevangelist , Dec 14, 2017 :
    I would say ITS it's a matter of priorities. I personally just made the switch from the 3T and I am very pleased so far. The 5T is just slightly better in every aspect with the big screen being the most noticeable improvement, so if upgrading is not an issue financially, I would recommend you go for it.

12. ɢноѕтΘпе
    Nougat Dec 14, 2017

13. Massimiliano D'Avino
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2017

Massimiliano D'Avino , Dec 14, 2017 :
    It depends on what you care about. I have the 3 since it came out, but I don't really see a reason to upgrade it. performance is still really good and the 5t is not bringing anything new that I care of to the table. In my opinion spending 550€ to get a slightly taller display and face unlock is just not worth it. I'll wait until there is a big jump in camera quality , a big improvement in battery life or a 90hz or 120hz low latency display (like on the Razer phone or the new iPad).